Published adventures

jimc

Hey all. I just finished reading the Magic World rules and was wondering if there were any free or purchasable adventures/modules out there. I am mainly interested in running one shot scenarios at my monthly gaming group. Since most of these players are playing Pathfinder or D&D, I don't want to disappoint when presenting a new rule set. My DM style is old school where the players don't need to know the rules and I hand wave a lot of things that slow down the role-playing/immersion.

I am switching to BRP because in my experience, people get tired of always playing level 6 characters since most of the material is not accessible until higher levels. I think BRP will fix this.

So, I found this In Search of the Trollslayer: A Heroic-Level Adventure for Basic Roleplaying http://www.amazon.com/dp/1568823045/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3F7EE2HHQCC1P&coliid=I1LE9NMKN9SVEO which is not necessarily for Magic World. Has anyone run this or any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Would LOVE to see someone convert some old-school modules to Magic World (so I don't have to) .

I don't think you'll find a lot of material to fill your need. Not that I've seen, anyway. So if you design a custom adventure and it is well received by your players be sure to upload it! :)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I have decided to use Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age as my setting. I can just use the information on the Conan wiki (http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page). This way I have maps and a way to role-play the various cultures. I'm a using our earth as a setting so this comes close to have a believable fantasy feel. Now, I just need to find some cool old school adventures and change the names of places.

I figure I would just describe the monsters as they are in the D&D/D20 adventure, but find stats that are similar in BRP resources rather than replace them with BRP monsters. This will be easy for matches that are one to one like ghouls, orcs, dragons, but I will need to be more creative for other unique creatures like beholders etc...

I am incline to start off with "The Tomb of the Iron God". I am a fan of the Swords and Wizardry writers style.

I have a book with most of the Ad&D monster manual converted to Magic World here if it helps:

Hyboria is a great place to adventure! The Conan RPG has a lot of useful info for a campaign as well.

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

Call me fickle, but I think, after looking at the Conan RPG, that it will be easier to stick with the Southern Reaches as the campaign setting. It is a world made for this game and I presume, there will be more information when the companion comes out. Hyborea is awesome, but to keep the correct flavor, I feel like I would need to incorporate the races and classes to make sense in that world. Perhaps, in the future, someone will create a BRP Conan game. That would be great.

There ARE quite a few individual races in hyboria, so I understand your hesitation. However, I can't imagine one world being harder to campaign than another. Hyboria is pretty fitting for Magic Worlds Magic system as well. Much more so than say, Forgotten Realms.

I do with there was more Information on the Southern Reaches. If for No other reason, to help design modules.

If I was running this as a home game campaign, I would put the work into it--and I may do that if there is interest. However, I will just be running one-shot-6-hour sessions, once a month, so simplicity is best. I host a meetup event where we do one shots aimed at beginner RPG'ers. It's run like a convention game.

Makes sense. That's a lot of work for one shot game. Good to hear You're introducing newbs to the wonderful World of BRP. We could use a few more active peeps on this site...a few hundred. LOL

• 4 months later...

Call me fickle, but I think, after looking at the Conan RPG, that it will be easier to stick with the Southern Reaches as the campaign setting. It is a world made for this game and I presume, there will be more information when the companion comes out. Hyborea is awesome, but to keep the correct flavor, I feel like I would need to incorporate the races and classes to make sense in that world. Perhaps, in the future, someone will create a BRP Conan game. That would be great.

In the downloads section of this site there is a set of rules for the Conan setting by Jason Durall. It is for the earlier version of MW, called Elric!  

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"