Power Points for the non-powered

nerdvana

Some Power Points house rules:

Player characters cannot initiate a Luck Roll unless they expend a Power Point. I have read about GMs only allowing the other attribute rolls with Power Point expenditure as well, such as Stamina and Effort. Seems reasonable actually, and if the player character is unwilling to expend the Power Point then their roll is reduced to the Characteristic x 1% instead of x5%.

I also only allow skill re-rolls if the player character expends Power Points every time they want a re-roll. For my Fantasy setting the cost is 1d4 PP, whereas for my Pulp Era 1920s/1930s Adventure setting the cost is only 1PP for a re-roll. I don't allow re-rolling Fumbles.

Sometimes I also allow a Success to be upgraded to a Special Success at the cost of PP expenditure, similar rate as above. (Never allow upgrading to Criticals or cancelling Fumbles however). Alternatively the chance itself can be upgraded to a Easy Roll for the cost of 1D6 PP perhaps. Both of these options work best if it is limited to a particular skill or cluster of skills associated with the character concept, so in some way it can can take the place of a 'Feat/Advantage' system.

Basically Power Points can be used to demonstrate Conviction or Luck, kinda like Hero Points. Usually works well. BRP BGB briefly skirts some of these ideas with their Fate Points option. Seems odd that more pages were not devoted to the Fate Points option in the BGB, as it really makes Power Points quite useful to non-spellcasting characters.

Edited by Mankcam
grammar

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I am curious what options there are for people without powers to use their power points. Either canonical or not.

They can use them as Fate Points per page 176 of the BGB. This can be great for James Bond type characters who have great luck avoiding death.

A few weeks ago I put together a list of minor powers called Edges. They are skill oriented, each one requires you to have the relevant skill at 50% for the basic Edge, and 100% for the advanced Edge. Power wise they are about equal with the feats from D&D, in fact some of the edges are inspired from D&D. They require a Power point to activate for the scene, or turn if the duration is instant. I originally put them together for the Legend RPG, but they could be easily adapted to BRP.

A few weeks ago I put together a list of minor powers called Edges. They are skill oriented, each one requires you to have the relevant skill at 50% for the basic Edge, and 100% for the advanced Edge. Power wise they are about equal with the feats from D&D, in fact some of the edges are inspired from D&D. They require a Power point to activate for the scene, or turn if the duration is instant. I originally put them together for the Legend RPG, but they could be easily adapted to BRP.

Cool, CF. Could you put a link to that document (or thread) here? Or was it your Pulp Edges thread?

• 1 month later...

I am curious what options there are for people without powers to use their power points. Either canonical or not.

Similar to what CthulhuFnord developed, I devised a system called "Combat Exploits", based on the Stunts from Dragon Age Origins RPG. When a character rolls a Hard success on a combat skill, they may spend 2 PP and use a Hard Exploit (add 50% damage, disarm a foe, increase defense, etc.) If they roll a Critical success, they may spend 1 PP and select an appropriate Critical Exploit (add 100% damage, stun, bypass armor, etc.)

Similar to what CthulhuFnord developed, I devised a system called "Combat Exploits", based on the Stunts from Dragon Age Origins RPG. When a character rolls a Hard success on a combat skill, they may spend 2 PP and use a Hard Exploit (add 50% damage, disarm a foe, increase defense, etc.) If they roll a Critical success, they may spend 1 PP and select an appropriate Critical Exploit (add 100% damage, stun, bypass armor, etc.)

Have you looked at the Legend/MRQ II combat maneuver system?

• Like 1