BRP Mecha

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 RosenMcStern

RosenMcStern

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

Okay, we did it. Rome is available to fans, and it was a success. There are no words to express how good a job the team did. Those of you who own a copy of the book can understand why I am saying so :)

Now it is the time to go for new targets. We have a couple more fantasy books due out this year, one is Stupor Mundi 2 (The Baltic Crusades) and the other is possibly a Rome campaign, if Pete has enough motivation for it (start lobbying him, folks!)

Time for new targets now. Our all-new book, expected for next year, will be "BRP Mecha". I ran a playtest at Tentacles and it was satisfactory. Now it is the time to announce it officially, so that our Site Admin can add it to the "Future Releases" list.

The book will be a compendium of all the rules needed to play a Mecha campaign that fits the Anime genre. For copyright reasons, it will not include any stats for "official" mechas, but I plan to include rules that encompass at least the following well-known Anime universes: Code Geass, Macross/Robotech, Universal Century/Gundam, and the Go Nagai mechas for which i have already provided some stats here. Players will be able to make up their own versions of the "official" mechas, with all the weapons and gadgets seen in the TV series.

Given the amount of small, game-oriented models that Bandai Entertainment produces for each of these series, this could easily become the best supported Roleplaying game ever! :cool:

See you on Mecha Channel!

“Double-0 Gundam, Setsuna F.Seiei, HASHIN!!!!!”

#2 DiracSquid

DiracSquid

Role-Playing Neophyte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

If I could ever fall in love with an abstract conceptualization - it'd be this topic. This news comes as one of the most beautiful things I could have hoped to hear. I eagerly await this gem!

But uh, I don't suppose there are any plans to dip into Gunbuster while your at it?
"Life itself is only a vision. A dream. Nothing exists, save empty space and you. And you... are but a thought."

#3 RosenMcStern

RosenMcStern

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

If I could ever fall in love with an abstract conceptualization - it'd be this topic. This news comes as one of the most beautiful things I could have hoped to hear. I eagerly await this gem!

But uh, I don't suppose there are any plans to dip into Gunbuster while your at it?

You will be able to easily make up the details for other Mecha series yourself. I intend to concentrate on series that I know personally, and could have a widespread audience. Putting in Gunbuster or Patlabor could be interesting but I cannot do everything.

Oh, and of course contributions are welcome. I have already adopted atgxtg's revised SIZ table, if anyone has good ideas submit them and we will include them in the supplement.

Edited by RosenMcStern, 07 June 2009 - 08:47 AM.

#4 DiracSquid

DiracSquid

Role-Playing Neophyte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

You will be able to easily make up the details for other Mecha series yourself. I intend to concentrate on series that I know personally, and could have a widespread audience. Putting in Gunbuster or Patlabor could be interesting but I cannot do everything.

Oh, and of course contributions are welcome. I have already adopted atgxtg's revised SIZ table, if anyone has good ideas submit them and we will include them in the supplement.

Hey, I understand completely - I just figured I'd take a shot. I hope I wasn't being pushy or anything, I'm just a little too excited. In any event, I'm really looking forward to it!
"Life itself is only a vision. A dream. Nothing exists, save empty space and you. And you... are but a thought."

#5 Trifletraxor

Trifletraxor

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Okay, we did it. Rome is available to fans, and it was a success. There are no words to express how good a job the team did. Those of you who own a copy of the book can understand why I am saying so :)

BIG success! :thumb:

Now it is the time to go for new targets. We have a couple more fantasy books due out this year, one is Stupor Mundi 2 (The Baltic Crusades) and the other is possibly a Rome campaign, if Pete has enough motivation for it (start lobbying him, folks!)

Rome campaign, Rome campaign! :happy: (tell me when it's moved into the future releases category!)

Time for new targets now. Our all-new book, expected for next year, will be "BRP Mecha". I ran a playtest at Tentacles and it was satisfactory. Now it is the time to announce it officially, so that our Site Admin can add it to the "Future Releases" list.

Very nice! I'll get to that shortly. I you have another image than the one I use that you would rather have on the frontpage, send it over! :)

The book will be a compendium of all the rules needed to play a Mecha campaign that fits the Anime genre. For copyright reasons, it will not include any stats for "official" mechas, but I plan to include rules that encompass at least the following well-known Anime universes: Code Geass, Macross/Robotech, Universal Century/Gundam, and the Go Nagai mechas for which i have already provided some stats here. Players will be able to make up their own versions of the "official" mechas, with all the weapons and gadgets seen in the TV series.

Can you tell us anything more about the contents? Got any estimation about pagecount yet? Or what part of 2010 we can be looking for it?

Cheers,
Sverre.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

#6 Trifletraxor

Trifletraxor

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

And who's the author?

SGL.

#7 RosenMcStern

RosenMcStern

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Me of course. Who is the animaniac on this forum?

#8 Trifletraxor

Trifletraxor

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

That would be you. Blurb is up. Can you tell us anything more about the contents? Got any estimation about pagecount yet? Or what part of 2010 we can be looking for it?

SGL.

#9 threedeesix

threedeesix

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

Not really mecha, but I would love to see a supplement dealing with an old WWII battleship rebuilt into a space battleship. ;)

I'd go back to school all over again just to be able to run home after and watch (or read) it.

Rod

"Its a space battleship, the biggest I've ever seen"
Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo...roups/RQCF/info
Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups....classicfantasy/

#10 Simlasa

Simlasa

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:13 AM

Will the Mecha book be just generic rules or will there be some sort of setting... or suggestions for settings/storylines ala the GURPS books?

#11 cjbowser

cjbowser

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:30 AM

Will there be guidelines or setting seeds for a grittier, less anime world? Something more akin to Battletech and less Macross?

#12 Sunwolfe

Sunwolfe

Book Burner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:36 AM

I'd go back to school all over again just to be able to run home after and watch (or read) it.

Oh, man, 3D, how I remember doing the same thing! :happy:

Cheers,
Sunwolfe

Edited by Sunwolfe, 10 June 2009 - 04:39 AM.
add code

"We Fremen have a saying, 'God created Arrakis to train the faithful.' One cannot go against the word of God." --Naib Stilgar

0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

#13 dragonewt

dragonewt

Charnjibborg; With Lasers

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

Not really mecha, but I would love to see a supplement dealing with an old WWII battleship rebuilt into a space battleship. ;)

A conversion to BRP of something similar to "Mekton Empire" would cover both Mecha and "Battle Ships in Space" (and Ninja Rocket ships).

Mekton Empire - R. Talsorian Games Inc. (RPGNow.com)

Given that Mekton stats and skills are values out of 10, a conversion to BRP is fairly simple. The core Mekton (II or Zeta) rule book could be used to create the ships/mecha, which are then adjusted to BRP values. Or just define a BRP HP value for a Mekton "KILL" (mecha hp and armour scale), and then use most of the stats as they are, the same way that Mekton differentiates between hp and 'kills'.

#14 skull

skull

TRFN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Locationupstate New York

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

BRP Mecha this is awesome, i am a big manga animee, fan i love robots,mecha etc.:thumb:

I am a big robotech/macross fan,also a tranformers fan this is awesome:cool:

I cant wait for this

#15 Agentorange

Agentorange

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Rosen,

I was curious, besides being able to design Mecha will the book allow you to design robots ( in the way that GURPS robots would ) ?

#16 RosenMcStern

RosenMcStern

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

You will certainly be able to adapt the rules to robots by adding self-consciousness to the mechas. But keep in mind that the smallest mechas at which the supplement is targeted (Code Geass' Knightmare Frames) are 4,50 metres high and weigh 7,50 metric tons. So this supplement will not help you design Robocop or R. Daneel Olivaw.

#17 Agentorange

Agentorange

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

Well, that's your next supplement sorted out then, we the people demand a robot supplement :D

#18 Gheedon

Gheedon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

Now it is the time to go for new targets. We have a couple more fantasy books due out this year, one is Stupor Mundi 2 (The Baltic Crusades)”

The Baltic Crusades book sounds good - I was thinking about setting a campaign in the Order State centered around the Teutonic Knights, so that book would come in handy. Any idea when it may be out?

#19 RosenMcStern

RosenMcStern

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

This thread is supposed to be about Mecha :lol: Okay, I will make an announcement as soon as Trif is back from the Southeast.

#20 Atgxtg

Atgxtg

• Members
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

Rosen, a copule of Mecha questions:

Way back, you were posting some rough stats for various "classic" anime Mecha. I figure getting the various licenses for the various anime series is out of the question, so are there going to be some "knockoff" versions in the Mecha book? Some designs similar enough to give the feel for mecha like Mazina, Gaiking, Raideen, or Getter Robo?

Speaking of Getter Robo, are the rules for designing tranforming and or combining mecha?

Lastly, what did you work up for handling things like STR vs STR rolls on the Mecha level? Does STR 210 automatically beat STR 200, or do you trteat it like 21 vs 20 or what?
Smiley when you say that. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users