Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Judas here.

Love CoC and Stormbringer, but haven't played any other BRP... I've seen read things like Ringworld and Worlds of Wonder, but never really played them. Started with Basic DnD back in the old days, like most I suppose. Loved playing Star Frontiers, got into a few other games, and wrote my own little game. Played some DnD3 for a while when it came out. These days I'm pretty much just a BRP person, simply because it's the only system I can run easily and comfortably.

The upcoming Deluxe BRP will be the bombdiggity. I have considered adapting a sci-fi setting I started years ago, or looking for a sci-fi published setting for BRP.

I'm a cup of tentacles. I am also brilliant and devastatingly handsome. I once dated a girl from Yuggoth, but her family was psychotic fungi so it didn't work out.

I'm a cup of tentacles. I am also brilliant and devastatingly handsome. I once dated a girl from Yuggoth, but her family was psychotic fungi so it didn't work out.

You forgot insane! That's what happens when you play too much Call! :D

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum and thought I would say hi.

I'm one of the playtesters of the new BRP and have to say i'm looking forward to this release as much as you all are.

I started role playing back in 1978 with Traveller and ran a long 3 year campaign in the Spinward Marches that my players still talk about from time to time.

I got into AD&D and GammaWorld in 1980 and finally discovered RQ in around 1982. At that point RQ and BRP became my system of choice and while I can't say I have not played other games (I have a spare room that I can't move around in and just use it for game storage) I always found may way back to BRP.

As a matter of fact, I have prolly converted almost every game I have played over to BRP at one time or another.

Anyway, I plan to post after I have had time looking over what has been posted so far.

Oh, and for those who were not able to experience the playtest, Jason was the best writer I have ever playtested for and I've playtested for a few companies.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Hello all,

Bo Whitten here, Lorgryt is my online name, and has been since before the Internet. I used to run a BBS before the information age caught on.

Lorgryt was one of my favorite characters in RQ. A troll, who ate books... lore grit... chews books.

I have used this on-line name all along.

I started playing RQ in 1978 while the ink was still wet. I have played every version of BRP that has ever been done, and even have all of RingWorld.

I found only one version of BRP to be distasteful to me: Mongoose RQ. It is shallow, and poorly produced in my opinion. But, if you like it... enjoy.

I am looking forward to the new BRP, and am glad to have a group to talk to about it both before and after it is published.

So, hello all! <<waves>>

I'm Aycorn, real name Alan.

My prelude to FRP was the board game "Dungeon," which I first encountered in 1977. Soon after that a friend introduced me to D&D with the blue book. I was utterly fascinated (he hated it). I read and re-read that thing!!

A couple years later I got into playing AD&D with others. Started my own AD&D campaign which, while pretty primitive, was a lot of fun. But I did find myself sometimes feeling a little bit hemmed in by the rules.

Anyway, a local library used to let kids play FRP games on weekends, and I went there one day and met a group of older kids playing RQ. So I joined in.

A couple of you have mentioned the word "liberation," well, that's how I found it. I mean - wow! What a difference! No stupid alignments. No stupid class systems that arbitrarily said you couldn't use magic AND a wear armor. Everything was so much simpler, so much more streamlined. I was hooked!

I wanted to convert my AD&D campaign over, but the rest of the gang hated RQ - they couldn't have 10th level magic-users, or kill armies of dragons. I ended the campaign about 6 months later.

Then became an avid Call of Cthulhu player. Being a long-time Lovecraft fan, even then. Still one of my favorite games. I even corresponded with Sandy Petersen (great guy) for a couple of years.

Also dabbled with Top Secret (fun setting, bad system), Gamma World, Metamorphosis Alpha (remember that one?), Superworld, Stormbringer, Ringworld (read, own, never played), Paranoia, etc.

I realized way back that BRP is a great, endlessly adaptable system - a tweak here and a tweak there and it's workable with any setting, as far as I can tell. I wouldn't go so far out on a limb as to say it's THE perfect system, but it is for me. It's very simple and very streamlined, easy to add to or subtract from, easy to extrapolate from. Also, I just plain LIKE the d100 system for some reason. I have also have a lot of sentimental affection for Chaosium. Some of it's because they're material was of such obvious (to me) superior quality to that of TSR et al back in the 80's (I really think Chaosium actually set a lot of the standards that now hold today). And partly because it always just seemed cooler and funkier than TSR (which always seemed to be made up of old nerds like Gary Gygax).

Anyone who's been on the Yog-Sothoth.com forums may have encountered me there, making some of the same arguments I see posted here.

These days I'm not actively gaming (I'm very, very choosy and will only play with close friends, so life sometimes gets in the way). I'm developing a fantasy campaign, using a homebrewed BRP system (mostly Stormbringer) I've nicknamed "Sword of Sorcery." The background is a Celtic-flavored one, with elements from Pendragon, GURPS Celtic Myth and several Celtic-flavored fantasy novels.

It's too bad Chaosium didn't seem to quite realize they had the original "generic universal" system on their hands. They could have grabbed the market GURPS ultimately did. Ah well.

Hi. Tom Zunder here. I am a very ancient troll and in my time I have eaten and digested nearly every rpg there is, but my true love is and always has been the good old d100 BRP. Agreed I have some other snacks that I munch on when free running 'burps' are not in season (all too often I fear) and whilst I love the fast food snackiness of Savage Worlds or the well presented buffet that is Unisystem, it's time to club a new BRP down and drag it to the cave. I shall ignore the bones left over from the slightly indigestible GURPS, the crunchy yet sweet shells from HERO, and relish pure d100-ness.

Will it be as satisfying as the flavoursome RQ, or the mildy mind altering Stormbringer, or have the gravy of Cthulhu? Maybe not, maybe as a plain dish it will need sauces and condiments, maybe I shall clear the rock table of the Pinnacle toolkits and pick up a bowl and mix myself a deep roux of setting, pour it over the dish and enjoy.. or will I? Has my palate changed, do I now find character death just a little too easy in BRP, wiping out your players not as much fun as it was. Maybe I want some more game features that steer roleplaying, little rewards and gimmicks that entice shy blood out of the undergrowth and into the pale wan light of the moon, dancing happily as I prepare my rock staff to smash in their skulls..?

In my youth as a young troll I used to hang around under bridges, scaring young goats until they passed the anti-stalking laws. Then I did a little editing with the TradeTalk guys (issue 1), wrote some stuff with the Greg creature about Basmoli, and ran a site about Elric roleplaying until a huge squall over at multiverse.org made me set aside my Moorcock books and setup a new Tavern (http://tavern.zunder.org.uk) where I meet with other roleplayers, talk about everything and nothing, and then kick their heads in.

Now as an old troll, having 'been everywhere, man' I realise I have 'played every game, man' and wonder if the return of the old favourite will be a gourmet delight or a sad cold burger?

Hi all,

Been running Cthulhu & RQ since 1981. That's it I guess. Have made maps for many RPG games recently and thought this would be a good place to chat about my fave system. I see no earthly reason why ALL games shouldn't use BRP.

have contributed to:

New Gods of Mankind

2320AD

43AD

The World of Paleador (my own)

Altaen

Primordiax

The World in the Satin Bag

Wizards & Wiseguys

Far Heavens

Powers & Principalities

Call of Cthulhu (monograph)

Steff

Greetings and salutations!

A bit about me.

Devoted husband, Grandfather of seven, Artist, Cartographer,and keen HeroQuest narrator. As a RPG Convention List Compiler he attends six conventions per year across Europe. His work as an Entertainment Venue Manager means he gets to meet the equally famous and obscure of Britain’s popular culture. Darran is professional, amiable and takes his responsibilities seriously, especially concerning public safety.

Darran has a small mischievous streak [that is a mile deep!] and often boarders on pure schadenfreude. With a penchant for drawing weapons he is certainly not a man to cross.

Darran’s resource management skills make him perfect for the role as a RPG convention organiser and volunteer!

Cheers, Darran

Continuum 2014. John Foster Hall, Leicester University. UK.

Friday 25th - Monday 28th July 2014.

http://www.continuum.uk.net

I had the honor & good fortune to be invited by Steve Perrin as a playtester for the original Runequest development. I had known Steve as Sir Stephen de Lorraine in the SCA from back when there was but one Kingdom in the entire known world. Because of my dyslexia I sometimes reversed numbers when calculating the odds in skill vs skill contests & so I created created the Resistance Table & so was labeled by Steve as Mr Resistance Table for all these years.:D. I alas was out at sea during the final days before the release, but I still have an original (& possibly the lone surviving copy according to Steve) of the playtest rules & notes.

Since then I have had the good fortune to be involved in testing RQ up to the current incarnation as BRP. I have always enjoyed the straight forward structure of the game as well as the ability to adapt it to many different settings. It also has a mechanic that gives a close enough feeling to my real life experiences to satisfy me.

I'm presently working on some expansions of scenarios that I wrote over the past decades & translating them to BRP terms from RQ terms. Best of luck to all fellow fans of BRP.

Skal ok drekk hael, elsk hael, lif hael, deyja hael, fara hael, ves hael!

Sven

Skaal,

Sven Lugar (48/420)

North Sea Raiding & Trading Company

--- An Equal Opportunity Despoiler

I'm Lawrence Whitaker.

I've played BRP in some form since 1982 when I first bought RuneQuest 2. From there I graduated to Stormbringer and that's where I've been at, off and on, for the past 25 (gulp) years.

I freelanced for Chaosum during the late 1980s and 1990s, contributing to most of the Eternal Champion output; however my first commisioned piece was actually for the Ringworld RPG which was, I have to say, one of the very best of their literary adaptations.

These days I write full time for Mongoose (catches Triff's spit and bottles it for sale on eBay) primarily on the RQ, Eternal Champion and Glorantha lines. I wrote the latest version of Elric of Melnibone and have just completed the Elric of Melnibone Companion and Castle Brass books for the EC line.

Despite working for Mongoose Chaosium BRP is still my favourite system. I was one of the playtesters for the latest version, using it in various settings, including Gwenthia. I really like what Jason's put together and looking forward to the book. I actually think the cover art is okay too!

Lawrence

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

These days I write full time for Mongoose (catches Triff's spit and bottles it for sale on eBay) primarily on the RQ, Eternal Champion and Glorantha lines.

What!?? But that is MY spit!!! :eek:

Happy to have you onboard Lawrence! ;)

Sverre.

I'm presently working on some expansions of scenarios that I wrote over the past decades & translating them to BRP terms from RQ terms. Best of luck to all fellow fans of BRP.

Hi Sven!

Will the scenario pack project be published after all?

Cheers,

Sverre.

Hi,

Mark, usually d(sqrt(-1)), or sometimes hemulen. Been RPGing since white box D&D and black book T&T, picked up RQ1 and Traveller 1977-78, CoC in 81.

Sad to say that I haven't played much CoC/RQ/SB etc lately, as our group has been into D&D 3.5, but I will play most things (at least once!). Am also into Eurogames (this year is the first that I can't make it to Essen Spiele since about 1995) and a fan of Reiner Knizia, Belgian and German beer, cooking.

Have a dream of setting up an RPG/Board gamers retirement home. Probably have more Hawkwind albums than strictly necessary.

cheers,

Mark

Always start what you finish.

Hi Sven!

Will the scenario pack project be published after all?

Cheers,

Sverre.

Alas it appears not since not everyone's submissions made it in. However, Dustin has been so kind as to ask me to put together all the "Wavetreader" scenarios I wrote into a DBRP package for him to examine, so perhaps there will be something available soon. Any officials announcements will have to wait until things get sorted out & I will let Chaosium make them.

Skal,

Sven

Skaal,

Sven Lugar (48/420)

North Sea Raiding & Trading Company

--- An Equal Opportunity Despoiler

hiya all,

i tend to spend more time over at therpgsite.com, but since as of late the discussion tends to be more about d&d 4, so :rolleyes: i'm much more interested in the new BRP edition and T5/RTT.

been wanting to do some sort of slaine-esque, neo-celtic prehistory thing, so it's amazing to see others with a similar thing going on in the other thread! must be some vibe going around.

i've been gaming since '82 or so, starting with moldvay d&d. my group plays mostly WFRP (1st ed.), deadlands (also 1st), with a healthy dose of CT/MT. i've wanted to try out MRQ with them, but we've actually had to reduce the number of campaigns going on. we've done a little CoC as well, so at least they're familiar with that system.

(i find this board style much easier than the one over at mongoose :) )

It is better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed at all.

-James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Hello everyone, you have Sorloc to blame for my arrival here, that and my new group is unsettled on a system, we started with D&D (not my choice) then moved onto Rolemaster 2nd Ed (My game of choice) then Runequest/BRP, then house ruled it to death, now we are looking more and more at the upcoming BRP core system.

As for me I've been gaming for 28 years mainly with RM2 though I started with AD&D 1st ed, Traveler and T&T.

I've been part of the group responsible for creating Rolemaster Classic, and a few other bits for ICE, but it isn't all about systems, is more about worlds and support, and there seems to be more happening with BRP and it's multi genres than RM or HARP and Sorloc pestering our board regularly with his adverts for BRP ;)

We are already running several CoC games and Sorloc has a Gunslingers game going, so I thought I'd start finding out more, so here I am

How about popping over to rpgResourceMasters and saying hello, we have lots of great play by post games running and an expanding resource section you may like.

I've been part of the group responsible for creating Rolemaster Classic, and a few other bits for ICE, but it isn't all about systems, is more about worlds and support, and there seems to be more happening with BRP and it's multi genres than RM or HARP and Sorloc pestering our board regularly with his adverts for BRP ;)

Always good to have get RPG authors onboard! BRP will need supplements you know! :D

SGL.

Hi there my name is Tony Rose and now I am 49. I been started playing war games in the early 70's( Panerblitz ect) and then a friend bought a brand new game called Dungeon and Dragons andf been role playing since. WhiteBEar/ Red moon was one of my favorite games of all time( I also own Nomad Gods and was disappointed that Masters of Luck and Death never came out as a board game like it was promised) so when I heard there was going to be a role playing game based in Glorantha I had to get it and was hooked on Runequest/d100 since. I have GM'ed both Runequest and Superworld and played in COC and ringworld. I am looking forward to the new basic role playing system and want to see how it works here.

Hello,

I've been playing BRP games since the mid '80's but haven't been playing much for years, although that didn't stop me from buying books, fiddling with rules, etc. . Getting a regular playing group together has been the major problem, so I made my own. I had to wait a while, but my sons are now old enough and I've started a Warhammer game with them.

I'm very excited about the upcoming DBRP, It'll be nice to have many of the variations of BRP in one book and I hope that the Deadworld RPG is the first of many new BRP games.

This looks like a great BRP forum, I'm looking forward to sharing ideas and keeping tabs on what will hopefully be BRP's second golden age.

Amra

Hello all.

I started role-playing in 1985 with a friend who used the 2nd edition Gamma World system. I then moved on to 1st edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. I met a new group and started playing RuneQuest 3rd edition. We played a heavily modified version of RQ for years, since we called the rules as written MainQuest. We eventually moved onto GURPS 3rd edition. Finally the group gravitated back to D&D with 3.0 Dungeons & Dragons, and now we are playing 3.5 Dungeons & Dragons and d20 Modern a lot.

Along the way, we have created our own systems based off some of the other systems; for example, we created a game called GunQuest based off RQ. We have also dabbled in playing other systems along the way, but basically RQ, GURPS, and D&D have been the main systems in their various editions and incarnations.

I also am a horder of table-top RPG systems, and have read many game systems. A couple of my personal favorites are Justifers and Talislanta; mostly for the game setting rather than game mechanics. Anyway, this is my hobby and I enjoy talking about and discussing RPGs.

Edited by drohem

BRP Ze 32/420