Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Hey!

I'm Narl, and I live in Wisconsin in the US. I started playing RPGs in the very early 80s. I ran too much D&D and not nearly enough RQ and Stormbringer back then, I think due to the fact that characters actually died in RQ and Stormbringer, and my young friends didn't care for that. By college, players seemed to accept character mortality more readily and Stormbringer and RQ3 saw a lot of play.

After a long hiatus from RPGs, I am getting a new group together, made up of my own three young kids. I of course looked to BRP as the obvious choice to get them into RPGs. We've run a few sessions with the Quick Start rules (using the adventures in the back) and they had a blast. I have plans for a fantasy campaign adding in magic and some of the other rules from the main book. My oldest is asking for some science fiction as well so I'll probably run something styled after Traveller eventually as well.

I'm also having a great time reading through all the terrific monographs and setting books from Chaosium and Alephtar. Many thanks to all the great authors here on BRP Central. Keep it up!

129/420

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I'm from Scotland and I've been playing (and GMing) since '80. Initially D&D but CoC, RQ, Trav & MERP turned up fairly soon after. Have played 99 different RPG's so far (yes, I have a spreadsheet, I'm sad and I know it :) but mainly lots of D&D, RQ & CoC early on, then a lot of GURPS, L5R and random stuff later. I'm also into all the other forms of (non-exercise based) gaming - computer, board, card, war etc.

I am rather reluctant to reveal my real name .....I am involved in several veterans initiatives and have been in the media since my return from my last deployment.

Anyway more to the point Since 1980 I have been involved in RPG and Miniature Wargaming with the only interruptions being my Military and Paramedic Careers, Marriage, Child rearing, OEF-OIF, and political activism. Though an AD&D player in the beginning, I can remember clearly christmas 1981 unwrapping Stormbringer 1st Edition, and RQ 2nd edition. Since then it has been an never ending love affair. I actually still own a yellowed copy of 1st Ed. Stormbringer ! Through all its evolutions and and manifestations I have loved that game and collected it. While some of the content of the MRQ Elric has a montage to the Stormbringer 1st ed, I find it cumbersome and cluttered. The spell system of Elric! and the magic rules of the Unmapped East supplement are better when combined with the 1st edition summoning rules. As a firm believer in the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) method of RPGing it is my belief that if your core rules are spread in more than 1 book something is wrong . The fact at 39 and that I am completely retired, still having my faculties, I think I am going to synthesize the rules in to a condensed, clear and comprehensive Dark Fantasy in the Young Kingdoms rules set.... for personal use.

I am interested in the following other eras for BRP: Middle Earth ( I like the CODA system but in combat it falls flat), Dark Age Fantasy (Pendragon with out the chivalry and middle ages nonsense, more along the lines of Y Gododdin) and Conan's.>:>

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

It is a poem about the Brythonic (P-Celtic speaking) warriors of dark age britian post roman era or sub-roman... it is defined as the historical age of arthur.

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

No Problem rust .... If you are interested I have an extensive list of literature and wargaming references I can give you.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Hey!

I'm Narl, and I live in Wisconsin in the US. I started playing RPGs in the very early 80s. I ran too much D&D and not nearly enough RQ and Stormbringer back then, I think due to the fact that characters actually died in RQ and Stormbringer, and my young friends didn't care for that. By college, players seemed to accept character mortality more readily and Stormbringer and RQ3 saw a lot of play.

After a long hiatus from RPGs, I am getting a new group together, made up of my own three young kids. I of course looked to BRP as the obvious choice to get them into RPGs. We've run a few sessions with the Quick Start rules (using the adventures in the back) and they had a blast. I have plans for a fantasy campaign adding in magic and some of the other rules from the main book. My oldest is asking for some science fiction as well so I'll probably run something styled after Traveller eventually as well.

I'm also having a great time reading through all the terrific monographs and setting books from Chaosium and Alephtar. Many thanks to all the great authors here on BRP Central. Keep it up!

Love the sutton Hoo Helmet!

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

No Problem rust .... If you are interested I have an extensive list of literature and wargaming references I can give you.

Thank you for the offer, but this is not one of my favourite historical periods. In fact, I am more

of a science fiction guy, with occasional excursions into the times between the late middle ages

and today. ;)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Hi, Bleddyn (a good Welsh name, that) and hi, Rust.

I'm half-Scots and half-Welsh, so I couldn't let this one pass by. The Gododdin (the people of that name) lived where I live now, and Y Gododdin (the poem) is one of the unjustly overlooked treasures of early medieval literature. Anyone who is interested will find a good translation (and much else to intrigue and delight) in here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triumph-Tree-Scotlands-Earliest-AD550-1350/dp/0862417872

All the best.

Outstanding! I am also of similar desent.... Na love that period of time my favorite Historical Character is Rydderech Hael of Ystradclud. I am more partial to the Oleggd Hen area and the triads and poems of the era!

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Outstanding! I am also of similar desent.... Na love that period of time my favorite Historical Character is Rydderech Hael of Ystradclud. I am more partial to the Oleggd Hen area and the triads and poems of the era!

Three Generous Men of the Island of Britain:

Nudd the Generous, son of Senyllt,

Mordaf the Generous, son of Serwan,

Rhydderch the Generous, son of Tudwal Tudglyd.

My copy of the Triads was mere feet away! Yes, unlike Rust, I'm with you on this one. The medieval period is pretty much the last era of history that really interests me. I think it's been pretty much downhill since the 13th century. :)

I am sure the french consider post 13 century pretty down hill and quite barbed: Crecy; Pontiers; & Agincourt. Nice to meet a kindred soul.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Welcome to all the new people!

As someone with a fondness for southern Scotland, I'd also love to see we well-done, as-informed-as-possible supplement covering c.600 Gododdin, Rheged, and Alt Clut! But then I'm a sucker for the darkest ages of history, too, and prefer my history to be pre-medieval as well.

Edited by Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I am using caffine induced foresight here.... maybe there is a real insterest in such BRP initiative. Something to be discussed. Also instead of tying up the intro thread I will start a thread in the BRP general forum.

Edited by Bleddyn
spelling

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I am sure the french consider post 13 century pretty down hill and quite barbed: Crecy; Pontiers; & Agincourt.

Well, perhaps the French deserved 700 years of bad luck after what they did at Beziers in 1209 and Montsegur in 1244. (I'd better shut up in case any of my French friends are listening. O:))

Understood I am an honorary member of the 1er RPIMa's Sous-Officers Mess. and have alot of French SF buddies.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im Alex, and i've been playing RQIII since... Erm... 1990-something.

I live in Buenos Aires, i love sportbikes (have a 1st gen yamaha R6) and Judo.

RPG-Wise i played:

RQ2-3,

In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas (the original, not SJG's)

WEG's StarWars

AD&D - DnD 3-3.5e

Fuzion

FATE (Spirit of the Century & Starblazer)

WW's WoD (vampire masquerade, elysium, werewolf, mage)

WW's nWoD (werewolf and changeling)

And i think that's it (actually i did play merp & warhammer 1st ed, but i'd rather forget those)

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"