Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

I am happy to see that the last rpg I played is still alive and kicking. I am returning to role-playing after a nearly thirty year absence. I moved away from AD&D when I discovered Runequest, then Stormbringer (still have the first edition), and Pendragon. I had converted large numbers of AD&D modules into BRP-format, when I sort of lost touch with all my gaming for a considerable amount of time. Now I have the three hundred-plus pages of BRP to wade through. Finding all of my old rpg stuff intact, I am going back to TSR/WofC's "World of Greyhawk," where I was running the module "Thieves' World."

Am glad to see an active forum and group!

Cheers,

Gregory

Edited by gregoryk

I am happy to see that the last rpg I played is still alive and kicking. I am returning to role-playing after a nearly thirty year absence. I moved away from AD&D when I discovered Runequest, then Stormbringer (still have the first edition), and Pendragon. I had converted large numbers of AD&D modules into BRP-format, when I sort of lost touch with all my gaming for a considerable amount of time. Now I have the three hundred-plus pages of BRP to wade through. Finding all of my old rpg stuff intact, I am going back to TSR/WofC's "World of Greyhawk," where I was running the module "Thieves' World."

Am glad to see an active forum and group!

Cheers,

Gregory

Welcome to the Forum.

What part of the world do you live in?

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

My name is James and I have been gaming for a little over two years (I know, barley anything compared to what I've read on this thread).

I was introduced to gaming by some friends who were playing Pathfinder and decided to invite me. I really enjoyed being a PC, but when the GM moved to Europe, the game fell apart. Without anyone to GM, I decided to step up and give it a shot. I didn't know about "game systems" per se, but I knew I needed to be able to put a game together on the fly.

I saw a review of BRP on YouTube and thought that was right up my alley. I was really impressed with how intuitive it is. After a little research I came across CoC and was hooked. I love the horror movie genre and can't get enough of CoC (I am currently GMing two weekly games). I am super interested in getting my hands on RQ, Elric!, and Stormbringer. Oh! I also have the new Rome publication and am looking to run a game set during the Punic Wars. Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew ;o)

So from Michigan, here's me saying I love BRP!

Hi everyone!

My name is James and I have been gaming for a little over two years (I know, barley anything compared to what I've read on this thread).

I was introduced to gaming by some friends who were playing Pathfinder and decided to invite me. I really enjoyed being a PC, but when the GM moved to Europe, the game fell apart. Without anyone to GM, I decided to step up and give it a shot. I didn't know about "game systems" per se, but I knew I needed to be able to put a game together on the fly.

I saw a review of BRP on YouTube and thought that was right up my alley. I was really impressed with how intuitive it is. After a little research I came across CoC and was hooked. I love the horror movie genre and can't get enough of CoC (I am currently GMing two weekly games). I am super interested in getting my hands on RQ, Elric!, and Stormbringer. Oh! I also have the new Rome publication and am looking to run a game set during the Punic Wars. Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew ;o)

So from Michigan, here's me saying I love BRP!

Welcome James!

Sounds like you've jumped in at the deep end - some say its the best way to learn how to swim! There are many experienced GMs around here, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions; hopefully you won't mind getting a wide range of answers.

Out of curiosity, which review did you see on YouTube?

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Hey Puck! Lansing represent!!!

Welcome James!

Sounds like you've jumped in at the deep end - some say its the best way to learn how to swim! There are many experienced GMs around here, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions; hopefully you won't mind getting a wide range of answers.

Out of curiosity, which review did you see on YouTube?

Thalaba

I think it was "Game Geeks" by Kurt Weigel (apologizes for any SP errors). I ended up looking up a bunch more stuff on BPR after that, but I'm pretty sure that was the first thing I saw on the internet specifically mentioning BRP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my real name is Jim, the online name is my favourite D&D 3.5E character FTR/ROG/Spymaster. I have to admit I'm rather ignorant of a lot of the games mentioned in this thread and I am a BRP virgin.

Got interested in RPG's back in the late 70's early 80's after reading the Dragonlance Chronicles. Went and bought the D&D Red Box set with Sturm Brightblade on the cover and thought, I'd like to do this. Found a group that played, but they weren't my cup of tea -can't remember why now. Anyhow, didn't play after that until I saw the Baldurs Gate computer game somewhere and gave it a go. That rekindled my interest and I went and bought the 3.0 D&D books, as I thought they would aid me in developing characters (aspiring author). Found a group and started playing D&D about 8yrs ago. Been playing D&D since. With the advent of 4E which is far easier to DM than previous versions we started playing that and I've gotten a bit disillusioned with the whole system:

1. Too many rules changes/updates etc and now they're changing it again with the introduction of the essentials line.

2. PC's in D&D 4E are extremely hard to kill in a balanced encounter.

So I started looking for an alternative system that wasn't class/race/level based and found BRP. It is pretty much what I am looking for in a game. I am in the process of making some pre-gens for my group and then I'm going to convert the D&D Tomb of Horrors dungeon to BRP and run that. I hope the guys like it.

One of my mates lent me Rolemaster and what can I say... in comparison way too much detail and too complicated for my taste. I like the simple elegance of BRP and look forward to my first sessions.

Hi my real name is Jim, the online name is my favourite D&D 3.5E character FTR/ROG/Spymaster. I have to admit I'm rather ignorant of a lot of the games mentioned in this thread and I am a BRP virgin.

Got interested in RPG's back in the late 70's early 80's after reading the Dragonlance Chronicles. Went and bought the D&D Red Box set with Sturm Brightblade on the cover and thought, I'd like to do this. Found a group that played, but they weren't my cup of tea -can't remember why now. Anyhow, didn't play after that until I saw the Baldurs Gate computer game somewhere and gave it a go. That rekindled my interest and I went and bought the 3.0 D&D books, as I thought they would aid me in developing characters (aspiring author). Found a group and started playing D&D about 8yrs ago. Been playing D&D since. With the advent of 4E which is far easier to DM than previous versions we started playing that and I've gotten a bit disillusioned with the whole system:

1. Too many rules changes/updates etc and now they're changing it again with the introduction of the essentials line.

2. PC's in D&D 4E are extremely hard to kill in a balanced encounter.

So I started looking for an alternative system that wasn't class/race/level based and found BRP. It is pretty much what I am looking for in a game. I am in the process of making some pre-gens for my group and then I'm going to convert the D&D Tomb of Horrors dungeon to BRP and run that. I hope the guys like it.

One of my mates lent me Rolemaster and what can I say... in comparison way too much detail and too complicated for my taste. I like the simple elegance of BRP and look forward to my first sessions.

Yeah, I've seen that and would like to have a look at it, but I'll wait until I see how my group goes with BRP in general before I start laying out wads of cash. BRP could be a bit problematic for them as they're power hack'n'slashers (under D&D rules) and scenarios they handle with ease in D&D will most likely be TPK's in BRP. Won't hurt them to work their brains for a change.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Mike, been playing RPG's since the early 80's. Cut my teeth with AD&D 1st edition, mixed with some Basic Edition rules. Tried a little Strombringer 1st edition, 1st encounter with BRP. We moved on to MERP and Role Master, which we played into college. Played a little Warhammer Fantasy when it first came out, and tried it again when GW rereleased it. Picked up BRP and Classic Fantasy, I also have several of the Stormbringer books too. GOing to try and run some 1st Edition modules with my kids and a couple of friends. I'm going to start with B2 Keep On The Boarderlands and then see how things progress from there.

Mike

Greetings!

I'm Mike Baumann. Started gaming in the late 70's with "white box" D&D. Got into Runequest & Stormbringer some time during high school. Co-authored a couple adventures for Stormbringer that Chaosium hosted for a time and also one for Corum that is still on the Darcsyde website. Been lurking around here for a few months. Marcus' request to find Matt Hartley or me finally got me to join:)

Cheers - Mike

After much struggle, I've managed to come across a copy of BRP thanks to a friend.

I've been playing RPGs of all kinds for about 12 years or so. I started with some friends playing AD&D 2nd. It wasn't long before we tried other games such as Jovian Chronicles, Aftermath!, various White Wolf games, and the later incarnations of D&D.

Needless to say, I think I've found a home in BRP. I discovered it via CoC and loved the system behind that game. I've always wanted a genre-free game system that I could mold to the foundations of some of my own creative imaginings. Something that was simple and easy to reason about in the face of ambiguity. I think BRP fills this role perfectly and I'm slowly trying to consolidate my RPG library around BRP.

It's a great game and I hope it will have a bright future. :)

Welcome, all.

After much struggle, I've managed to come across a copy of BRP thanks to a friend.

Good to have another local join the fold!

I can sympathize - when the book first came out I checked my two local shops: Hairy Tarantula (who didn't have it in stock - and still don't) and 401 games (who said "It doesn't sound like the kind of thing we'd carry" bwaa?). So I asked a friend to pick me up a copy at GenCon and he returned empty handed because Chaosium didn't have a presence at GenCon. So I looked on Amazon.ca and there it was. Twenty six bucks later and it was delivered to my door. Sadly, the price on Amazon.ca is now much higher ($42), but at least they still have it.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings, all. I've been gaming since the late 70s (D&D was my first game, and Call of Cthulhu the first one I bought, myself, with carefully hoarded allowance/chore money). I recently picked up a copy of the gold book (which is a nice bit of work), and have been inspired to work up some campaign ideas that I think would benefit from using BRP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am new to BRP. But from my initial readings it appears to be a very simple and elegant rule set and easy to pick up. So I have decided to investigate it more closely.

Philotomy I would be interested to hear more about some of your campaign ideas and how you would intermesh them with the basic role-playing rule set.

B-)

Real life crime on TV rocks! Until it stars you personally!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I've been role-playing since 1976/77--starting with OD&D, then AD&D, and a number of other systems, yet not the classic RuneQuest! :o I stopped gaming in the late 1990s, and have recently begun to play and GM again. I'm unfamiliar with RunesQuest (BRP), but I'm trying to learn a few things before I plunge in. I plan to use a few RQ monsters in my upcoming game, and will need some help understanding the stats, so any help will be appreciated.

I've always found the best teachers are those who play, and the forums here seem friendly and knowledgeable. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Cancon!

Site update: All the reviews have been moved from the home page to their respective threads in the BRP publications forum. You can now rate the products there from 1-5 stars (it's an option when you post to the threads). Please rate all the products that you have! Makes it easier for the other members to know what to buy.

Cheers,

Triff.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

You can now rate the products there from 1-5 stars (it's an option when you post to the threads). Please rate all the products that you have!

I attempted to do that in the Crusaders of the Amber Coast thread, but I missed

the option to rate the product. Could you perhaps give me a short "How to Rate

Products for Dummies" ? :(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I attempted to do that in the Crusaders of the Amber Coast thread, but I missed

the option to rate the product. Could you perhaps give me a short "How to Rate

Products for Dummies" ? :(

As soon as anyone gives me a short "How to Explain Yourself Comprehensible". ;)

Seems like you don't need to make a post. Above the first post on each page of the threads is a gray bar where you on the right hand side will find "Thread Tools", "Search Thread" and "Display" options. In the BRP Publications forum you'll also find "RATE THIS SUPPLEMENT" on the gray bar. Click it and choose a star! :)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 2 weeks later...