Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

Hello, I'm Sven Norén and I am based in Uppsala, Sweden.

I started playing, like so many else, AD&D in the early 80:ies. After about two sittings I found the system somewhat less than satisfying. I went down to our FLGS and found the new and shiny RQ2 hardback on the shelf, and the rest is history. I have tried some other games: Fantasy Hero, TFT, T&T, Cyberpunk, and Space Opera, but always came back to RQ and other BRP games.

I have done more GM:ing than playing though. My players still talk about some special moments in our games, like when Punchem the troll wrestled a were-tiger while the others magicked their weapons to gut it (made a very hard-wearing rug.) Or the famous line: "The dragon opens one eye and says 'Think fast!'" Or when the duck with DEX 18 was the only one to fall from a slippery bridge - repeatedly. (Poor sod had played Roll Master the night before and his %dice were set to roll high.)

Over time I have collected almost everything there is to collect for RQ2, and lots of the Glorantha stuff for RQ3. I am contemplating selling the latter, look out on eBay....

Over time I have collected almost everything there is to collect for RQ2, and lots of the Glorantha stuff for RQ3. I am contemplating selling the latter, look out on eBay....

what have you got?

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

Howdy!

I've been playing RQ of various flavors since my college years in the early 1990s. I started off playing a lot of DnD, but RQ seemed to strike a chord with me; I've never really been able to play class-based systems since :). Over the years I've assembled a pretty extensive collection of late 80s Chaosium products, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new BRP rule-sets.

I've recently started a small campaign for some friends and co-workers living here in the central Maine area - Gloranthan, mostly RQIII.

My name is Gerall Kahla (cunning how that username showed up like that, innit?), and I've been gaming since 1982 or so... Initial group was doing some AD&D, and it took me about 2 years to find all the other systems and games out there.

When I found RuneQuest 2nd ed, it changed the way I played roleplaying games. Picked up Ringworld, WoW, Stormbringer and Call of Cthulhu in short order, and spent a lot of time using the BRP system to do pan-dimensional universe hopping RPGs until college.

Then things calmed down for study, and afterwards I got back into gaming.

RQ 3 happened during my Dark Age, and didn't really float my boat as a system afterward. I've played lots and lots of other games, and they all seemed kind of interesting, but not as easy or deep as BRP. So, I'm a lifer. I'll be using BRP for a long, long time.

Best regards to everyone on the boards, and I'm looking forward to reading more about what people use this flexible system for.

-pax-

Emerging from my Dark Age...

I bought my first RPG around '83 - '84 from the Guardroom in Dustable and it was RuneQuest II boxed set. I played it with my friends and loved it. I'm also a big fan of Call of Cthulhu and have played and ran some blinding games over the years.

The almost universal crapness of the illustrations in those early games was one of the driving forces behind my wish to become an illustrator and give these products the images to match the ones they aroused in my mind's eye.

I still find the D100 system to be the most flexible, intuitive and best all told, and boy! Have I tried a few in my time.

I've made overtures to Chaosium over the years about doing illustrations for them, but nothing's ever come of it, though I did some stuff for Cthulhu and Stormbringer scenarios in White Dwarf and GW's licensed version of RuneQuest: Griffin Island in the late '80's ( I also approached Mongoose but the fees they pay are so embarrassingly pityable I felt sorry for the guy I dealt with. Seriously, you'd get better money sweeping floors. So sod 'em.)

Still, I'll buy Chaosium's new D100 system book, naff cover or no. Maybe I should just pester Charlie Krank some more....

I bought my first RPG around '83 - '84 from the Guardroom in Dustable and it was RuneQuest II boxed set. I played it with my friends and loved it. I'm also a big fan of Call of Cthulhu and have played and ran some blinding games over the years.

The almost universal crapness of the illustrations in those early games was one of the driving forces behind my wish to become an illustrator and give these products the images to match the ones they aroused in my mind's eye.

I still find the D100 system to be the most flexible, intuitive and best all told, and boy! Have I tried a few in my time.

I've made overtures to Chaosium over the years about doing illustrations for them, but nothing's ever come of it, though I did some stuff for Cthulhu and Stormbringer scenarios in White Dwarf and GW's licensed version of RuneQuest: Griffin Island in the late '80's ( I also approached Mongoose but the fees they pay are so embarrassingly pityable I felt sorry for the guy I dealt with. Seriously, you'd get better money sweeping floors. So sod 'em.)

Still, I'll buy Chaosium's new D100 system book, naff cover or no. Maybe I should just pester Charlie Krank some more....

I've been BRPing in one form since I've been in short pants and although I've wandered off to run these new fangled games (HeroQuest, BurningWheel etc etc) I keep on coming back to roll the d100.

I help Tom, Darran and Graham Spearing run Furnace, a small burning RPG con in Sheffield UK, and regularly attend and run too many games at its elder brother Continuum.

Currently I'm working with the MRQ SRD to make a completely Free and OGL compliant d100 system, called SimpleQuest, which you can learn more about on the D101 Games website. Its due for release Dec 2007/Feb 2008 at the latest.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

what have you got?

What haven't I got? Let's see:

> Boxed sets:

- Runequest DeLuxe 3rd ed.

- Gods of Glorantha

- Glorantha: Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars

- Elder Secrets of Glorantha

> Softbound books:

- Dorastor, Land of Doom

- River of Cradles

- Sun county

> Booklets:

- Shadows on the Borderlands

- Apple Lane

- Gloranthan Bestiary

In addition to this is a number of Tales of the Reaching Moon and Wyrm's Footprints. I'm just trying to figure out how to put this on eBay with the least hazzle.

Hi folks,

I'm Mark from Hamburg, Germany. Been a roleplayer for 20+ years, have tried many games and visited many worlds in my time, but good ol' RuneQuest/BRP remains the one true love I always return to (although I've never set foot on Glorantha).

Good to see so many familiar faces here...

BRP Zero Ed #136/420

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal death in judgement."

- The Fellowship of the Ring

My name is Tim and I'm a lapsed roleplayer, just crawling back onto the wagon after a 10 year (plus) break. I started gaming in 1977 with the usual suspects: D&D, Traveller etc and moved onto Champions, TFT, Villains & Vigilantes, Call of Cthulhu etc

I have just started playing in a Hollow Earth Expedition game and am looking to start some sort of BRP fantasy campaign next year.

Any questions? :)

Visit www.her0press.blogspot.com for your daily dose of geeky goodness.

Is it your blog you're linking too? Pretty active. :P

SGL.

Yep, that's me - 'cos I'm on "long-term sick leave" (major medical problems a couple of years ago) I have a lot of "free time" - even if my concentration isn't what it used to be, so I try and focus on writing at least one item a day for my blog to keep my brain active :D

Visit www.her0press.blogspot.com for your daily dose of geeky goodness.

Hi,

Kloster here, newbie to the forum but not to BRP.

Apparently the 1st frenchie here on this topic.

40 years old, father of 1 1/2, 26 of roleplaying, 23 of BRP:

started with RQII, then Cthulhu, RQIII, then some iterations of SB and Hawkmoon.

Other roleplaying include D&D (there must be a start, and in France in 1981, no choice), Champions (3, 4 and 5), JB007, Shadowrun, Vampire, Traveller, plus some other.

Avid RQ fan since the begining.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Welcome to the board Kloster! :)

Have you heard anything about the licensed french BRP game we hear rumours about?

SGL.

No, Nothing. The last french game using BRP I heard (and saw) something about was Nephilim (by Multisim), and it was years ago.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Hi!

Personnaly i prefers a module like the film Quatermass and the pit.

The horror is extra-terrestrial not supernaturel. Investigation is good if a fascinating mystery is discovered in this case the origin of the human race.

But for my players a more action oriented style of play would be preferred.

I think a style like the tv show voyage at the bottom of the sea. The show mixed spy action with scientific investigation with time to time a alien menace.

carnifex

Hi everyone,

Sarah here - I recently posted an intro on the BRP egroup also, so I'll try and keep this intro short! Glad to be aboard the forum, thanks to Triff and everyone for getting this thing going and to Jason for putting together what looks to be an exciting pre- or post-Christmas prezzie! Looking forwards very much to seeing BRP in its new and spiffy incarnation.

I've been BRPing since 1981 or so, starting with RQ but also including CoC, WoW, Ringworld, Stormbringer, Hawkmoon, Elfquest, Pendragon and ... and... actually I think that's about it :P I've played tons of other RPGs too, in particular Traveller, Arduin, the Evil Game That Dare Not Speak Its Name (1st and 3rd editions), Space Opera, various Gamma World incarnations, and, most recently, HeroQuest.

I have a soft spot for Glorantha, and am looking to BRP to provide an elegant and up-to-date crunchy d% ruleset to more or less do what HQ currently does, only crunchier (if that makes sense), particularly with reference to high-level (Rune Level and above) play. Basically I want to be able to use BRP as the mechanics, and HQ for all the keyword and background and cultural stuff. Lots more to say on that topic, but I'll hold off for now! I'm also interested to see what BRP can do in the scifi space, as Ringworld was a thing of beauty.

Thanks,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Hi,

Chris here (from Glorantha.org.uk). I've been lurking around for a while as I've never been to much of a menace to forums...

Anyway, I'm introducing myself as I'm taking over the runequest.info Gloranthan Link List.

As you may guess, I've been messing about with Glorantha for quite a while now (since RQ2), but I also like the BRP system for other things (COC, Fantasy Europe etc).

Chris