Site Introductions

Trifletraxor

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone, I’m Jon: long time CoC player and Rivers of London nut. I’m currently GMing a RoL campaign and recently completed a fan-written case file (having taken the Write Your First Adventure course during the summer) called ‘Lollipop Lollipop’.

Currently writing my second case file and also just starting a RoL game on the Play@YSDC forum (previously ran an MR James inspired CoC game there, called ‘The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance’.

It’s high time I joined this esteemed forum then!

Edited by jp1885
Damn autocorrect
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jp1885 said:

Hi everyone, I’m Jon: long time CoC player and Rivers of London nut. I’m currently GMing a RoL campaign and recently completed a fan-written case file (having taken the Write Your First Adventure course during the summer) called ‘Lollipop Lollipop’.

Currently writing my second case file and also just starting a RoL game on the Play@YSDC forum (previously ran an MR James inspired CoC game there, called ‘The Provost of Eton’s Inheritance’.

It’s high time I joined this esteemed forum then!

Hello, and welcome!
On the off chance you hadn't realized, CoC (and RoL) are based upon the "BRP" core engine, which originated with Runequest.  It's another great game & setting, and the new edition  (see here (but also noting the "Quickstart" (linked as a hardcopy) can be had as a free PDF over here )) is wonderfully evocative!

Damn autocorrect

Yes indeed.
In my family, the preferred spelling is "autocorrupt."

Edited by g33k
qs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 weeks later...

Hello fellow players.

I am a long term Runequester (back to the mid 80s), lapsed and now feeling re-invigorated by the new rules which I think are a great improvement in many ways, mostly to the richness of Glorantha roleplay.

Yep played loads of DND too.  I have GM'ed and been a player many times, and have more books on Runequest and DND than are probably financially healthy.

I just love getting my head out of the day job and into worlds of passion, roleplay, and ethical conundrums.

I am based in Devon in the UK and keen to connect with fellow roleplayers, especially anyone interested in a runequest campaign - i am writing one, but just as keen to play in one.  Looking to play face to face but know a regular group might be hard so happy to consider online groups.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Geoff R Evil said:

Hello fellow players.

Welcome! A gamer going back to the 80s ya say... ya won't find many on those around here... what are they called... gognerds or somethin'? We all pretty young around here and just getting into tha hobby...

Alright, I will stop there before there is even a chance for you to start believing my drivel. Been war gaming since 60s and RPGing since the 80s!

Yep played loads of DND too.  I have GM'ed and been a player many times, and have more books on Runequest and DND than are probably financially healthy.

Yes you will probably be able to find a few of that ilk around here (I think I have every game from RQ2 and 3 in hardcopy, though some are barely hanging together and some just gave up)!

Quit playing DnD back in the early 80s so only a few books (PHB and... hm, there must be something else...)

Looking to play face to face but know a regular group might be hard so happy to consider online groups.

Nothing at this second but I will have something online and compatible with afternoons/evenings in your neck of the timezones before spring.

Shall I let you know about it.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Hello fellow players.

I am a long term Runequester (back to the mid 80s), lapsed and now feeling re-invigorated by the new rules which I think are a great improvement in many ways, mostly to the richness of Glorantha roleplay.

I just love getting my head out of the day job and into worlds of passion, roleplay, and ethical conundrums.

I am based in Devon in the UK and keen to connect with fellow roleplayers, especially anyone interested in a runequest campaign - i am writing one, but just as keen to play in one.  Looking to play face to face but know a regular group might be hard so happy to consider online groups.

Welcome to Greg's Geriatric Grognards, Geoff!

• Confused 1

On 8/15/2022 at 9:28 PM, Brian Duguid said:

Reviving this thread. I have 3-4 players ready to start playing RQ:G online, UK time zone, weekday evening to be decided. I'd like 1-2 more, to make it easier to deal with drop-outs or unavailability. Likely to be run via Discord, probably starting with pre-gens and one or two of the Starter Set adventures as a "taster" before seeing what people would like to do beyond that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 12:52 PM, Geoff R Evil said:

Hello fellow players.

Hello, and welcome!
And, welcome (back) to the Tribe!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I’m Rob, and functionally new here.  According to the log, I joined the site in 2012, but never posted anything until a couple of weeks ago.

Short bio: I was introduced to historical miniatures gaming in 1971 at the tender age of 10, picked up D&D in 1976, and was introduced to RQ when Avalon Hill published RQ3.  I ran a Fantasy Earth based RQ3 game for a few years in the 1980s.  The ‘90s were the new family time and having kids left me with barely enough time for miniatures. I was on hiatus with rpgs (apart from a brief flirtation with D&D3e) until about 2008.  I picked up a BGB (and presumably joined the Forum), and have recently re-collected some RQ3 material plus Worlds of Wonder, and am considering offering a BRP fantasy game to my current 5e group when the existing campaign runs out of steam.  Miniatures (historical and fantasy) remains my primary gaming interest, so anything I do with rpgs tends to have that influence in the background.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, RSDean said:

I’m Rob, and functionally new here.  According to the log, I joined the site in 2012, but never posted anything until a couple of weeks ago.

Short bio: I was introduced to historical miniatures gaming in 1971 at the tender age of 10, picked up D&D in 1976, and was introduced to RQ when Avalon Hill published RQ3.  I ran a Fantasy Earth based RQ3 game for a few years in the 1980s.  The ‘90s were the new family time and having kids left me with barely enough time for miniatures. I was on hiatus with rpgs (apart from a brief flirtation with D&D3e) until about 2008.  I picked up a BGB (and presumably joined the Forum), and have recently re-collected some RQ3 material plus Worlds of Wonder, and am considering offering a BRP fantasy game to my current 5e group when the existing campaign runs out of steam.  Miniatures (historical and fantasy) remains my primary gaming interest, so anything I do with rpgs tends to have that influence in the background.

H'lo, Rob, & welcome!

I urge you to also take a look at the new edition of RuneQuest, maybe via the stunning new Starter Set.

It's not strictly "historical," but if you know your ancient architecture, your ancient warfare, your ancient cultural anthro... nuRQ is absolutely dripping with historical influences!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 1/29/2023 at 9:32 AM, g33k said:

H'lo, Rob, & welcome!

I urge you to also take a look at the new edition of RuneQuest, maybe via the stunning new Starter Set.

It's not strictly "historical," but if you know your ancient architecture, your ancient warfare, your ancient cultural anthro... nuRQ is absolutely dripping with historical influences!

Well, I’ll certainly take that under advisement, as we say at the office.  Are you recommending it for the mechanics?  For btter or worse, I feel like the opportunity to burrow deep into Glorantha lore has already passed me by.

12 hours ago, RSDean said:

Well, I’ll certainly take that under advisement, as we say at the office.  Are you recommending it for the mechanics?  For btter or worse, I feel like the opportunity to burrow deep into Glorantha lore has already passed me by.

There are some interesting new mechanical tweaks & additions in the RQG (and CoC7) games, not really available in the BGB rules (and it looks like some more in the new Rivers of London RPG).

But I was mentioning RQG specifically because you had mentioned "historical and fantasy" in your interests, and Glorantha does that in spades.

And I've got to say, the art-rich new material for RQG -- and the new content like the Glorantha Sourcebook, and online resources like the Well of Daliath, and (as mentioned before) amazing Starter Set -- makes things more accessible!

But if you're not feeling like delving in, that's understandable too... I was casting wistful glances at  Tekumel  for decades, only stopping recently.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone

I'm Øjvind. Always been fascinated by TTRPGs, but never had a chance to play. Finally went ahead a year ago and bought at age 32: The Troubleshooters by Swedish Helmgast. Turns out that game (based on franco-belgian comics like Tintin & Spirou) was BRP related, and after reading trough it, and also after buying DnD and reading the DnD starter pack - because that's what everyone seemed to be familiar with - I found myself much more in love with the BRP system. It's easy to understand the basics, and the way Chaosium welcomes one into the hobby through the solo adventure in the starter-set is great.

I'm still working on finding a group to play pulpy adventure stories with, but in the meantime I have a bunch of BRP & CoC materials to read and study so I can GM.

• Like 6

On 9/16/2023 at 2:50 AM, fritjof said:

Hello everyone

I'm Øjvind. Always been fascinated by TTRPGs, but never had a chance to play. Finally went ahead a year ago and bought at age 32: The Troubleshooters by Swedish Helmgast. Turns out that game (based on franco-belgian comics like Tintin & Spirou) was BRP related, and after reading trough it, and also after buying DnD and reading the DnD starter pack - because that's what everyone seemed to be familiar with - I found myself much more in love with the BRP system. It's easy to understand the basics, and the way Chaosium welcomes one into the hobby through the solo adventure in the starter-set is great.

I'm still working on finding a group to play pulpy adventure stories with, but in the meantime I have a bunch of BRP & CoC materials to read and study so I can GM.

Hullo, Øjvind!  Welcome!

I expect you'll find some fellow Swedes knocking around the board, where you might connect if you want to get some face-to-face gaming.

General chat is great here on BRPC, and folks do sometimes arrange games.

There's a whole range of online options...
 "pbp" aka "Play by Post" (much faster since "post" is replaced by "e-mail")
 play by txt-chat (i.e. online chat-servers) either synchronous or async.
 "live" virtual gaming via voice-chat and/or video-chat
 VTT gaming aka "Virtual Tabletop," via sites like Roll20, FantasyGrounds, Foundry, &c.
 some admixture or ad-hoc'ery of the above, possibly involving shared Google-Docs, etc.

Edited by g33k
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...

I'm another new guy on the block.

I realized that I had been inventing sort of games like these when I was a kid.  Played war games that I made up with my friend and, later in my early college year, began to invent a game that was both a fantasy setting where you controlled countries as well as controlled specific individuals in the game that had adventures for those countries.  Just got to start and played it a few times with fellow students at Cal State Northridge Sci-Fi Club.  

When I got married at 21, my adopted son started playing with his friends D & D and Traveler.  That's when I first encountered professionally made RPG games.  I was fascinated by them and began to run a game for him and his two friends.  Then I met a guy who was playing Chivalry and Sorcery every Friday night.  I joined in and eventually brought my son along as well.  Played that for about 4 or 5 years with them.

I eventually ran the Chivalry & Sorcery version set in Japan called Land of the Rising Sun.

I was fascinated by Elric and the later version of Stormbringer - though I never actually played either of them.

I found the Call of Cthulhu first edition and started running that game.

I've been playing C of C with a bunch of different people, usually starting out with the Haunted House scenario each time as the intro to C of C. 

Lovecraft's Dreamland always fascinated me, with an interest in the study of dreams and lucid dreaming.

Around 1985 or so, I started to try my hand at writing, which is something I always wanted to do.  I began to write my fantasy novel, Through the Gate of Dreams.  It was set in 1979-1980 San Francisco and Lovecraft's Dreamland.  I've been working on that series ever since.  Finally, self-published a version of it in 2000.  Then eventually realized that it needed to be reworked.  I seriously decided to rewrite it and finally finished that new version in 2019.  I've revised it yet again in 2022 and just recently scrubbed it over with Grammarly.  In 2022, I wrote the second book in that series, All My Days Are Trances.  I've been slowly working on the last book of the series, Believe that Love Will Never Fail, ever since.

I just recently checked out this place, and so here I am!

Glad to join in!

• Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 1:26 PM, fritjof said:

I am sorry, I should have specified that I'm Danish. It's just the game I fell for: The Troubleshooters, that is Swedish.

No apologies needed! Strictly my mistake, Øjvind... over on this side of the Atlantic, all the Nordic alphabets kinda blur for me...  8-/

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Hullo, Gray Raven; and welcome!

9 hours ago, Gray Raven said:

... Around 1985 or so,  I started to try my hand at writing ... In 2022... ever since.

That is some serious dedication!  I don't know if you've pursued this strategy, but I've gotta recommend writers' groups, workshops & similar "writers' craft" activities.

Whenever I write fiction, I've got to set it down for a  l-o-n-g  time before I can look at it with a fresh-enough eye to see the problems.  Writers' groups can really shorten that, IME.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig