ACES HIGH - A Weird Wild-West Supplement for the BRP System

Trifletraxor

Well our current campaign takes place before the Civil War (the current year is 1857 and we started 1855). I didn't know there was an default year in Aces High. Just assumed that around 1870-1880 was the usual as the standard in most Wild West games are. But haven't found anything setting the time at a specific time. The contents of the book I think covers any time between 1850 to 1900 pretty well.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word "Year" was sloppy on my part - I guess I meant "time period". I agree the book covers 1850 to 1900 well. I've always toyed with running a "really old" west game set in the 1830's or even earlier, but I've go lots miniatures of guys armed with six-shooters and very few armed with single-shot pistols:)

Aces High was aimed at the classic western period, pre-civil war to 1900. But it was written with the assumption that, with a little work, a game could be run at anytime there were people on the continent. That's why there's a sabertooth tiger amongst the critters, thats why the weapon list includes muskets from the 1600's, that's why the indians get so much detail and mythology included. Ideally, with an unlimited page count and endless free time, I would have expanded this idea. Sadly, I have a life too:o

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

A life outside of creating best-selling BRP products? For shame!

;)

But having stats for prehistoric megafauna makes sense. As long as much of the territory remains unexplored, at least by white men, PCs really don't know what to expect. Thomas Jefferson thought Lewis and Clarke might encounter mastodons as they explored the Louisiana Purchase. The Sea of Grass, isolated valleys in the Rocky Mountains, mysterious craters and canyons in the Badlands could hold all sorts of improbable things. The real West had boulders that crawled across the salt flats (I forget the scientific explanation), flowers and critters that hibernated for years waiting for the next good rain, vast caverns packed with clouds of bats, elusive cities of gold and lost mines, a genuine lost civilization (the Anasazi), bison herds that took days to pass by, just to name a few things. So maybe the Indians didn't manage to gobble up all the big mammals and 9-foot-tall flightless birds in the world of Aces High.

A life outside of creating best-selling BRP products? For shame!

Ah, if only I'd done something with Aces High when I first thought of it 20 years ago:o

The real West had boulders that crawled across the salt flats

I've heard about this! Think it happens in death valley. I thought it was something to do with the temperature changes but wikipedia haas something to say about 'Sailing Stones'...

Anasazi get a big mention in New Mexico, quite an interesting bunch they were too...

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

I did some more research to find a decent Old West range of miniatures and found this Old West Miniature Single Packs.

I wish I had more money. Some of the horde packs are on my wish list now. Would be perfect to form a base to use in our Aces High campaign, we have actually been using miniatures more and more lately since the SR system seem to work quite well with miniatures. But we have been using budget ones from Disposable Heroes: Wild West Customizable 1 and Disposable Heroes: Wild West Customizable 2. Either way still a good option if you wanna save some money. If you wanna make it even cheaper it is not that hard to make counters out of a bunch of old west pictures yourself. Did that for a Star Wars Saga Edition campaign I ran a while ago and they turned out quite nice.

The Foundry figures are nice - I've got at least 100 of their old west line painted up and probably close to that number in little baggies waiting for paint:(

Artizan's old west figures (Wild West - Artizan Designs) look really nice and if I was starting my collection again I'd probably spend my money there. The sculptor did a fair number of the later Foundry cowboys before he left to start his own business so they would mix well style-wise.

Black Scorpian (BLACK SCORPION (miniatures)) look fantastic, but they are significantly bigger than a lot of their competitors. They are also moving to resin casting and I'm pretty dubious of the durability of resin for gaming figures.

Old Glory (Old Glory Miniatures Historical, The American Experience) are probably the cheapest ones out there. They have an extensive range of 18th through 19th century figures. Most come in bags of 30 figures, so not as useful for RPGers. I've seen photos of their new line of American Civil War figures and they are top notch - as good as if not better than Foundry. Some of the older lines are hit or miss with some pretty dodgy poses in those big bags.

West Wind Cowboy Wars (Old Glory Miniatures West Wind, Cowboy Wars) are decent figures. They've a number of foot and mounted characters. They are a little more "cartoony" than the Foundry figures, but mix in nice and paint up well. I didn't see them listed on West Wind's site however (guessing postage from the UK would be cheaper for you).

Another cheap option is the Airfix or Revell (can't remember who did them) 1/72 plastic cowboys and indians. I personally find them more visually appealing than counters or standup paper figures.

• 2 years later...

I'm planning on picking up the two Aces High books in print. Have the errata mentioned in this thread been put up for download somewhere?

Also, how well would you guys say Devil's Gulch combines with Aces High and does it actually add anything useful?

Devil's Gulch slides in pretty well with Aces High. The short chapter in the beginning have a description on how to adapt and create Wild West characters with only the BGB in mind. If you use Aces High you can skip this chapter or pick the parts you like. There are some new Spot Rules or change to existing ones in BGB. Aces High also have their versions of same spot rules so you can pick which version of the rules you want. The rest of the book is a pure setting and 2 adventures that can be used straight away for a Aces High game. All in all I would say it is a very nice addition to an Aces High game for just the setting and adventures that take up most of the book.

I can't really answer the errata question though. MrJealousy is better suited to answer that question. There is a revised Calibre4 document in the downloads section that has updated weapon stats. But I don't think it has been updated in some time.