Arrrgh Pirates!

IndianaKen

The final title will be Bokors and Broadsides. Maybe if enough people ask Chaosium about the book it will get published. I wrote the thing in 2009, revised and combined the manuscript with another project in 2012, and am still waiting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Written by Matt:

Bokors like in voodoo? How much of the mystcal stuff will be in the book? Is it presented as an option or is it integral? I ask because I don't care for supernatural elements in my pirate/cowboy/musketeers types of games.

The setting is mystical, but one could easily play without it. The original concept was to do a straight historical sourcebook with optional mystical elements and then a follow up mystical setting. However, Chaosium decided to do one larger book instead and have me combine both manuscripts. We playtested both ways, and the material can be easily separated.

The setting is mystical, but one could easily play without it. The original concept was to do a straight historical sourcebook with optional mystical elements and then a follow up mystical setting. However, Chaosium decided to do one larger book instead and have me combine both manuscripts. We playtested both ways, and the material can be easily separated.

Thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunately it sounds like it would take more work than I have time for. I'm just looking for a straightforward book on pirates and pirate times. Same problem I keep having with Western sourcebooks where it's always the "Weird West"...I guess I'm odd man out as they seem to be popular.

Written by Matt:

Thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunately it sounds like it would take more work than I have time for. I'm just looking for a straightforward book on pirates and pirate times. Same problem I keep having with Western sourcebooks where it's always the "Weird West"...I guess I'm odd man out as they seem to be popular.

I understand, no one wants to do straight historical because they don't sell. B&B would not be a lot of work to go without the mystical sections. Most of the book is period specific info and rules: professions, equipment, skills, stunts (a non-supernatiural based power to allow for cinematic action), naval combat, historical figures (most of whom don't go supernatural until they died historically), and spot rules. You are looking at a good half of the book there. Just ignore the chapters on Voodoo, sea monsters, and the campaign setting.

I understand, no one wants to do straight historical because they don't sell. B&B would not be a lot of work to go without the mystical sections. Most of the book is period specific info and rules: professions, equipment, skills, stunts (a non-supernatiural based power to allow for cinematic action), naval combat, historical figures (most of whom don't go supernatural until they died historically), and spot rules. You are looking at a good half of the book there. Just ignore the chapters on Voodoo, sea monsters, and the campaign setting.

I guess I'll have to see it and decide whether it's useful. Sure hope it's available soon and there's some kind of preview or sample.

P.S. I appreciate that you are straightforward about the contents. I've had, in the past, folks tell me whatever they think I want to hear to try to sell me their books.

Edited by Matt

• 1 year later...

So, latest blog post at Chaosium ( http://www.chaosium.com/blog/four-upcoming-summer-releases/) mentions this:

"BLOOD TIDE

Black Sails and Dark Rituals

CHA2033 $28.95 (estimated)

Horror, Adventure, and Voudou Magic during the Golden Age of Piracy. A sourcebook for BASIC ROLEPLAYING by Kenneth Spencer."

Is this what started life as Aaargh, Pirates?

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.chaosium.com/tales-from-dead-men-pdf/

I wrote this scenario to support the suppliment. It is in PDF form. Hope you guys like it. BTW There is possibly one error on the 'Captain O' pre-gen. Should have a command skill of 80%. Some of the art that is contained in the scenario can be checked out on the artists face book page https://www.facebook.com/#!/markhelwigart.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...