RUBBLE & RUIN - A World Gone Mad with Killing

I just purchased a pdf copy of R&R from rpgnow.com and it has a few issues. I haven't finished reading through it yet, but some things are missing.

First there doesn't appear to be a Table of Contents. There is a page at the beginning with the header CONTENTS at the top, but the rest of the page is completely blank.

Next page 34 under POWERS seems to be missing a column on Cybernetics. The left column is there, but the right column is missing. The left column ends with "When inactive," and then nothing. The next page (35) starts a new section on Biological Modifications.

As I said, I haven't finished reading through it yet, but those are two issues I've discovered so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just purchased a pdf copy of R&R from rpgnow.com and it has a few issues. I haven't finished reading through it yet, but some things are missing.

First there doesn't appear to be a Table of Contents. There is a page at the beginning with the header CONTENTS at the top, but the rest of the page is completely blank.

Next page 34 under POWERS seems to be missing a column on Cybernetics. The left column is there, but the right column is missing. The left column ends with "When inactive," and then nothing. The next page (35) starts a new section on Biological Modifications.

Same here, and I just bought the pdf this evening! Will this issue ever be corrected?

• 2 months later...

I am new here and I just bought this book in pdf from drivethrurpg. Other than the mixing info noted above. As well as there is a heading for Avalon with nothing under it. I got to say I love the book. The clear thought and time that went into was was amazing. The only thing I think it is missing is rules for the farming skills. It says based on success of the skill you get an increase or decrease to base yield. I could not find though base yield rules in the book. The dog rules were amazing some of the best for having a pet I have ever seen. I have not tried the Vehicle rules but they seem pretty good. I am wondering if you will be writing anymore info for this setting.

Hello draven and Welcome to R&R.

Regarding Farm and the lack of mechanics – it’s true; I didn’t put in any mechanics. The thought process went something like this; I had run Aftermath for decades and it is a game that has at least two farming skills and some mechanics for each, but I could not recall ever asking anyone to make a Basic Farming roll. It just never came up in play. BUT, farming skill is a quintessential near-future post-apocalyptic skill. The farm boy goes out into the big ugly world, or the small community is lacking the farming skill it needs, or the like – I had to include the skill. If your play style is such that you are actually making farming rolls, I think there is enough description to help the GM wing the mechanics. I could imagine running a game in the “Pendragon style” where each adventure is separated by a boring year of tending to the small homestead on the edge of a ruined city or the like, and this time is handled with a few die rolls. In such a case, it would be easy to improvise.

Regarding the missing Avalon text; the bottom third of page 11 should be all about Avalon. If the text is missing, then you have a bad PDF. If it is there, and you just didn’t recognize that the section was meant to be an aside about a pair of related groups then that is just bad layout on my part. If I were better at page layout when I put the book together, that would have been a side bar or a text box, but it was my first stab at laying out a full book. I looked at it again this morning, and I would have done that differently.

Regarding more R&R stuff. I have about a quarter of a full length adventure put together – it is called Rubble Lane and is a tribute to a certain classic Runequest adventure. The play-testers seemed to enjoy it – but unfortunately that project has been stalled by Real Life ™. On the other hand, I have 90% of a short R&R adventure completed that I am hoping to finish for the Science Fiction adventure contest (which ends this week – so I need to get on it).

Glad to hear you like R&R – let me know if you run it.

I have plans to run it next weekend. I did find some information I could use for the farming. It was easier to get average yield rates than I thought it would be. Not sure I will use them for a while but it is nice to have them. I must have gotten a bad pdf the the text is missing from Avalon. My copy is also missing the table of contents to me this no problem as the index is very useful. Is it possible to get an updated pdf or are they still working on that?

I live in the Southern United States so I really like the weed unleashed in the game. We have a major kudzu problem here and there is not a much better way to make land hard to pass and unusable.

Exactly -- now think of an even more invasive form of kudzu. As an ecoweapon it would be perfect -- you could reduce an enemy city to a stand still fighting to keep roads open and homes clear. Of course, no one is starving because they could eat the weed, but they cannot do much else with their city.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure -- but that is the point. Eventually you can dig out a small area with enough work. It would take years to get a large enough goat heard, and even then it will take a lot of work to keep the goats "on task" (and out of your other gardens etc.) It is not un-doable, it just takes so much time and effort away from fighting back.

• 4 years later...

I downloaded the Rubble and Ruin character sheets and I wanted to make them form fillable. Problem, the software says it is restricted so unable to edit without a password. Could I get a copy which I would be able to edit? Once completed I would gladly post here on the site as a free download.

The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

• 3 months later...
On 09/06/2010 at 6:05 AM, pansophy said:

The W13 remembered me on the movie "Dark side of the moon" where a junk robot used everything it could find to build a hell of a machine. There was a PA flick as well, where a women did find a skull in the Wasteland and brought it home. The thing then started to build together a death machine.

Sounds like this movie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_(film)  I just ordered R&R and can't wait to take a look at it. 

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

On 20/07/2017 at 0:29 AM, pansophy said:

Seems to be about right. I liked the movie - but I was about 15 when I saw it. If it is crap - don't blame it on me! ;)

Iggy Pop and Lemmy are in it, how bad can it be?

(Rhetorical ?)

Edited by BigJackBrass