BRP Interplanetary

Jason D

Looks interesting... I wonder if they'll be available at a LFGS...

Yup, I just told my FLGS to order them all as they come out for me. He'd getting them through Alliance Games Distribution.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason, how is the project going? Do you still expect to be finished in late April? Have playtesting started up? :)

Still writing content.

Maybe May is more reasonable to expect, but that'll mostly be due to the time playtesting scenarios.

Not yet.

Hi Jason,

Glad to hear Interplanetary is proceeding. Did you ever come across Leigh Brackett's work before? I'd never heard of her, and just got hold of a copy of her "Seas of Mars" in the Fantasy Masterworks series. Haven't read it yet, but it looks like classic pulp-era Sword & Planet stuff.

Just thought I'd mention it just in case - I've also just "discovered" Clark Ashton Smith at my wizened age, believe it or not, and am having a ball (not that's he's Sword & Planet, mind ;-)). It's funny - I guess through him being fairly out of print for so long I'd just never come across him before. Same with Leigh Brackett - thanks be for series like Fantasy Masterworks!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Hi Jason,

Glad to hear Interplanetary is proceeding. Did you ever come across Leigh Brackett's work before? I'd never heard of her, and just got hold of a copy of her "Seas of Mars" in the Fantasy Masterworks series. Haven't read it yet, but it looks like classic pulp-era Sword & Planet stuff.

Just thought I'd mention it just in case - I've also just "discovered" Clark Ashton Smith at my wizened age, believe it or not, and am having a ball (not that's he's Sword & Planet, mind ;-)). It's funny - I guess through him being fairly out of print for so long I'd just never come across him before. Same with Leigh Brackett - thanks be for series like Fantasy Masterworks!

Cheers,

Sarah

I'm somewhat familiar with Brackett's work, but don't currently have copies (and alas, the Fantasy Masterworks line isn't easily available in the States).

I believe I've seen her works are online somewhere like Project Gutenberg, but can't remember where exactly.

I am more familiar with CAS, though I agree he's not exactly applicable.

I'm somewhat familiar with Brackett's work, but don't currently have copies (and alas, the Fantasy Masterworks line isn't easily available in the States).

Amazon has Sea Kings and otherworldy tales used. It's a good book. I would also recomend the Ginger Star trilogy that was collected in the Book of Skaith.

S.M. Stirling's Sky People is a good read as well. His next one, In the Court of the Crimson Kings, set on Mars is out around the begining of April.

141/420

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1920s space flight? Stephen Baxter had a British astronaut from an alternate world state that the first manned orbital flight lifted off from Ceylon in the twenties; just suppose that the British Interplanetary Society had been formed a decade or so earlier, and had gotten financial backing (I'll put up links to stuff if anyone is interested). One plea: keep it fairly plausible: please use rockets, of "pulp" performance if you must, but not anti-gravity; that's already catered for with "Space:1889" and the like. I really like the idea of 1920s spaceflight; I could game out the whole history of the exploration of the pulp solar system!

Grif

1920s space flight? Stephen Baxter had a British astronaut from an alternate world state that the first manned orbital flight lifted off from Ceylon in the twenties; just suppose that the British Interplanetary Society had been formed a decade or so earlier, and had gotten financial backing (I'll put up links to stuff if anyone is interested). One plea: keep it fairly plausible: please use rockets, of "pulp" performance if you must, but not anti-gravity; that's already catered for with "Space:1889" and the like. I really like the idea of 1920s spaceflight; I could game out the whole history of the exploration of the pulp solar system!

Grif

That would be interesting to have rules for movement in areas where there is no gravity--except for spinning the spacecraft around. Might make for some interesting fumbles>:->

Grif

Apparently you're not familiar with the genre this sourcebook is about.

Words like plausible aren't remotely applicable to interplanetary adventure stories.

Sorry, I shouldn't be trying to dictate your vision of what the game should be about. All I'm asking for is Flash Gordon-style rocketships!

I've read a fair bit of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Michael Moorcock, Lin Carter, etc; you might be interested in this upcoming comic:

Perils on Planet X Production Blog

But, returning to the rocketships bit, what I'd like is a bit Leigh Brackett; action takes place on weird planets, swords more usual than guns, but there are spaceports, perhaps one per world, some adventurers get to rove about the solar system...

Grif

I'm really looking forward to Interplanetary. I was just wondering: will there be "Create Your Alien" and "Create Your Own Spacecraft" sections in the rule book?

I'm with Grif, too, on allowing the characters being able to zip around the solar system. Will there be any rules for that?

I was just wondering: will there be "Create Your Alien" and "Create Your Own Spacecraft" sections in the rule book?

Neither of these are planned.

I'm with Grif, too, on allowing the characters being able to zip around the solar system. Will there be any rules for that?

What kind of rules outside the BRP core book do you think would be essential for that?

Neither of these are planned.

What kind of rules outside the BRP core book do you think would be essential for that?

For some reason I had Planetary Romance confused with Space Opera:p But having things like ion storms and whatnot that could force the characters to land on a strange planet--or that they must persevere through to get to the strange planet of their choice--might be interesting. Maybe even throw in some weird effects like the characters start growing extra limbs>:->

Anyway, I will still be buying it when it comes out as I remember really enjoying Edgar Rice Burroughs's mars stories. And fantasy settings on other planets are great, as the skies the limit in what can be done.

I think the main thing is in Planetary Romance/Adventure, how you get there is not important and the campaign really doesn't begin until your on the other world.

There are many other possibilities of course but that would seem to be the most common.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I do think it's a bit odd to call a planetary romance game Interplanetary - the name suggests a focus on being between planets, ie. in space.

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

I do think it's a bit odd to call a planetary romance game Interplanetary - the name suggests a focus on being between planets, ie. in space.

The genre is also called interplanetary adventure, interplanetary romance, interplanetary stories, etc.

I didn't necessarily want to use the "romance" label because the term is a bit dated, and I liked the punchiness of a one-word title.

Planetary, however, has already been used for a long-running comic from DC.

I didn't necessarily want to use the "romance" label ...

I am glad you did not use it, at least here in Germany "romance" is nowadays

used for "love stories" only ... :D

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

The genre is also called interplanetary adventure, interplanetary romance, interplanetary stories, etc. .

Unhelpfully so, I would argue, because the action is largely surface-bound (I suppose we might call it "epiplanetary" if we're hellbent for big word classicism).

But my point is that the literal meaning of "interplanetary" is misleading. Someone reading, say, the title of this thread may quite naturally assume the name refers directly to the subject matter rather than to a genre label. I can't help but think this faciliated previous posters jumping to the conclusion the genre is space opera.

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

As the book will feature:

a) a campaign in which the characters are pitched in a dangerous battle across the solar system, including a stop on each planet

and

B) a cover undoubtedly featuring a iron-thewed warrior in jeweled battle harness, fighting a towering alien under an exotic sky

...I think the title is still appropriate.

Remember that I've said there will be some space travel, it just won't be a focus, and it certainly won't involve (as I've said) teams of jumpsuited space corps officers rocketing around in a ship in defense of the Earth.

But my point is that the literal meaning of "interplanetary" is misleading. Someone reading, say, the title of this thread may quite naturally assume ... the genre is space opera.

Not really, because true Space Opera would be "interstellar" ... :D

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)