Stormbringer

Bleddyn

EST and well chat... didn't know FGII had voice

FGII doesn't have chat as a feature but lots of virtual table top gamers use Skype, Teamtalk or Ventrillo to help with table chatter. I am given to understand that VTT users tend to use chat for IC and voice for OOC. I know I can't type well so, so voice would help.

BTW does the mega pack mean the Ultimate version of FGII ? Which would of course allow anyone to use an unregistered version of of FG as long as you are running the game.:D

I useĀ  fantasygrounds.com

yes the ultimate pack. The idea is to share the wealth and experience. so no worries.

Edited by Bleddyn

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I played a ton of Stormbringer in my teenage years. 'Course, I was a total BRP fanboy at the time (still am, in many ways) and SB and RQIII filled most of my fantasy gaming itches. I found that for introducing new players to BRP, Stormbringer was much easier to grasp. The system was much simpler than RQIII, and the setting was less complex than Glorantha.

As I don't post a lot to this forum (something I hope to change) many of you may not know that I'm the same John B. Monroe who designed the magic system for 4th edition SB.

That being said, I've not played any version of SB/Elric in fifteen years or so. But it is a fabulous game.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Well obviously I'm a big fan of 5th edition and the previous Elric! rules... no surprise really when I run the stormbringerrpg.com site :P

As for the discussion around Elric in your adventures... I'm pretty sure 5th edition is based (as a default) during the first year of Elric's reign, hence he still sits on the Ruby Throne rather than being out and about in the Young Kingdoms.

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.infoĀ - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

Well obviously I'm a big fan of 5th edition and the previous Elric! rules... no surprise really when I run the stormbringerrpg.com site :P

As for the discussion around Elric in your adventures... I'm pretty sure 5th edition is based (as a default) during the first year of Elric's reign, hence he still sits on the Ruby Throne rather than being out and about in the Young Kingdoms.

I am in the middle of drafting an adventure for your site lol... I am waiting to get the map software to make it look good. Glad you popped in here don't let the site flounder!

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I played a ton of Stormbringer in my teenage years. 'Course, I was a total BRP fanboy at the time (still am, in many ways) and SB and RQIII filled most of my fantasy gaming itches. I found that for introducing new players to BRP, Stormbringer was much easier to grasp. The system was much simpler than RQIII, and the setting was less complex than Glorantha.

As I don't post a lot to this forum (something I hope to change) many of you may not know that I'm the same John B. Monroe who designed the magic system for 4th edition SB.

That being said, I've not played any version of SB/Elric in fifteen years or so. But it is a fabulous game.

Love to talk with you some time. thanks for all your work.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Okay picked up Picked up the Fantasy grounds II ultimate pack... and BRP rules I will have to tailor a mod for Stormbringer....

Edited by Bleddyn

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Stormbringer is still my all time favorite game.

That said, my ultimate edition (and, the one I am slowly compiling my notes together to provide in pdf format) is a combination of SB1, SB4, Elric!, and Mongoose Elric, with bits and pieces from the various supplements as well as copious house rules.

You may want to look into the Corum supplement from Darcsyde.

Ian

My kind of man Vagabond.... I am trying to learn how to modify the BRP Fantasy Grounds II Virtual Table top so I can get a group together . Keep the faith

Bleddyn

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Looks like Chaosium is now out of stock of Corum. You'll have to try amazon.com if you want a copy, and they have used copies for $2.50 ish.

Interestingly, Chaosium and Mongoose have apparently done a deal so the entirety of the Chaosium back catalogue of SB / Elric! books are available in PDF form from DriveThruRPG - looks like it's the scanned files Chaosium were previously offering themselves via DTR, and it DOESN'T include any of the monographs or Darcsyde's Corum.

Cheers,

Nick

That's interesting to know. I have the old PDFs from when they where on heck I have the old hawkmoon edition

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Interestingly, Chaosium and Mongoose have apparently done a deal so the entirety of the Chaosium back catalogue of SB / Elric! books are available in PDF form from DriveThruRPG - looks like it's the scanned files Chaosium were previously offering themselves via DTR, and it DOESN'T include any of the monographs or Darcsyde's Corum.

Interesting stuff!

I understand that the contracts around the Monographs is for one print run only (hence the agreements I have with the authors to put them up on stormbringerrpg.com).

Hopefully this does something to revive the interest in SB even more!

Marcus

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

DCtRPG.infoĀ - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

Fantasy Grounds now had the BRP Mod for Stormbirnger 1st edition and the Sormbringer Elric .... I am so happy I think I just pee'd on myself.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to say I've uploaded the Loz interview to www.stormbringerrpg.com. Special thanks to Damon (Merak Gren) for taking the time to eyeball the document!

Marcus

• 10 months later...

I've just added some Stormbringer stuff to the downloads section. The first is a player handout gazatteer for those new to the Young Kingdoms. It's largely text from the books edited and formated in order to be a convenient player hand out. It totals four pages, each page details a different continent, the north, west and south as well as one page for the island.

The second is two versions of a character sheet for a Gods of Law game.

I hope someone finds them useful.

• Like 1

70/420

Well I feel that AHRQ3 or MRQ2 has been the best BRP gaming engine and setting (Fantasy Earth and Glorantha). I think I preferred the 'crunch' of RQ, such as hit locations, static armour etc and I liked Glorantha quite alot.

Having said that, Stormbringer is a close second in my opinion, and the Young Kingdoms is a bloody great setting. I did run a few doom-laden SB sessions in my time, although I tend to go back to AHRQ3 as a default. Some of the Elric/Stormbringer setting material and scenarios I ported over and repainted for my Gloranthan AHRQ3 campaigns, they converted quite nicely. Depending upon the troupe, I'ld certainly GM another SB session in the Young Kingdoms, although its getting harder to find people who've read Moorcock's books these days (its all Jordan, Gemmell, Acrombie and Martin these days; not the Lovecraft, Howard, Moorcock, Leiber etc that inspired Chaosium).

I also loved the Demon rules and Magic rules from Stormbringer and the Unknown East sourcebook. Chaosium did a great job portraying the dark fantasy of the Elric stories, just as they have done portraying Lovecraft's Mythos.

It's also a wonder that there hasn't been any films produced for the Elric series, it could truly be done justice these days.

I'ld love Chaosium to bring out a new hardcover edition of Stormbringer; if they're gonna have two properties as their babies then Cthuhlu Mythos and Young Kingdoms are certainly good ones to have.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I'ld love Chaosium to bring out a new hardcover edition of Stormbringer; if they're gonna have two properties as their babies then Cthuhlu Mythos and Young Kingdoms are certainly good ones to have.

Chaosium relinquished the license to the Eternal Champion line back in 2007. Mongoose is the current holder. Chaosium had pretty much let the license slip into abeyance, and some poor relations with Moorcock meant they were actually happy to let it go. So a new version of Stormbringer isn't on the cards - although there is an MRQII version available from Mongoose.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Wishful thinking on my part for Chaosium to still have the licence, I keep hoping that Chaosium will publish more source settings beyond Cthuhlu Mythos (yes I have Future Earth and I'm aware of Devil's Gulch), and I thought Young Kingdoms was perfect for their fantasy setting.

Yes, I've seen the MRQ2 Elric of Melnibone edition on the Mongoose site, but I haven't come across a hard copy to peruse it in a store yet (probably because where I am is a little provincial when it comes to roleplaying). I've got it flagged in my Amazon Wishlist though, and it's likely to be my next purchase as I tend to like most of the things you've written, and also the fact it's a hard cover edition - my old Stormbringer rulebook is a covered softcover, but it's starting to feel like its seen better days.

I wonder if Mongoose will make Young Kingdoms a flagship setting for 'Legend' now that they're leaving Glorantha behind. 'Legend' will certainly have legs if Mongoose promotes good settings such as Young Kingdoms and Hyboria (they always should have used MRQ as the system for their CONAN line). They'll have to have good settings if they're losing two principal authors :-)

Anyway, back to the Stormbringer discussion thread...

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I wonder if Mongoose will make Young Kingdoms a flagship setting for 'Legend' now that they're leaving Glorantha behind. 'Legend' will certainly have legs if Mongoose promotes good settings such as Young Kingdoms and Hyboria ...

As far as I know, Mongoose does no longer have the Conan license.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Yes, I'm aware the CONAN property is up for grabs, I was just pointing out that these were two properties that sold well for Mongoose, and that 'Legend' will need settings of this calibre to survive. Just wishful thinking for CONAN to finally be in a BRP-related system. Again, I'm digressing from the original Stormbringer thread, I'll back off and let someone get it back on topic...

IMHO Elric! is the best BRP incarnation EVER for fantasy rp.

We are of the same mind, sir!

Yes, I've seen the MRQ2 Elric of Melnibone edition on the Mongoose site, but I haven't come across a hard copy to peruse it in a store yet (probably because where I am is a little provincial when it comes to roleplaying).

Although there were stirrings of the Eternal Champion line really coming back to life right before the license went to Mongoose, I really think it had become a bit of a stone around Chaosium's neck. They're likely better off without it right now.

If you have a chance, there's some really great stuff in the Mongoose Elric and Hawkmoon line. Well worth a look. Two of my favorites from those lines are Magic of the YK and Cults of the YK. The rules in the second edition of MStormbringer look solid, but it's hit locations and strike ranks. Just not my cuppa.

What I wanted to really see was an Eternal Champion Guidebook to the Multiverse. A resource for populating the Million Spheres. That would have been a beauty to behold.

70/420