[RetroQuest] RetroQuest

icebrand

I don't think you need to assume that the character is actually dead during that time -- they are dying and systems are still functioning, but about to fail, and if you don't get them to positive hit points before the time limit, that is when they actually die. That is how I've always seen it.

129/420

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW RetroQuest is by far my favourite third party d100 game name (sorry Newt!)

The website is always worth a look, in fact my only whinge is that you overhaul it so frequently that some things are gone before I have a chance to properly nick them. Any chance of an archive? Or even at a minimum put your groovy weapons and armour page up again for a week? :P

If you are going to slim down the weapons skills (a move which I fully support) could I suggest a bit of flavour to the names. Inspired by aconvention game of PenDragon I played in where the GM CNBA with PD's huge list of combat skills and didn't want to write a new character sheet so Sword covered all individual weapons, Spear all weapons used in formation and so on.

Add another vote to folding Dodge into Parry (so weapon skill) in melee and as a DEXx5/Dexterity/Agility roll for throwing onself out of the way

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

FWIW RetroQuest is by far my favourite third party d100 game name (sorry Newt!)

The website is always worth a look, in fact my only whinge is that you overhaul it so frequently that some things are gone before I have a chance to properly nick them. Any chance of an archive? Or even at a minimum put your groovy weapons and armour page up again for a week? :P

If you are going to slim down the weapons skills (a move which I fully support) could I suggest a bit of flavour to the names. Inspired by aconvention game of PenDragon I played in where the GM CNBA with PD's huge list of combat skills and didn't want to write a new character sheet so Sword covered all individual weapons, Spear all weapons used in formation and so on.

Add another vote to folding Dodge into Parry (so weapon skill) in melee and as a DEXx5/Dexterity/Agility roll for throwing onself out of the way

As soon as im done with work (ive to finish a tournament and then go have dinner with my boss...) ill see what i can do.

BTW, RetroQuest uses the OGL licence because my engrish sux (so i picked up gore which i like a lot), but if i could, it would be Free Art.

The website needs some love, but im trying to lobby the diablo 2 magic into RQ Magic (problem is, its not gritty at all), and also work on the creatures :)

https://sites.google.com/site/rqadventures/equipment

There you have the old equipment page; some images are missing since they were not open source!

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Guest Vile Traveller

We’re casting about for some better acid rules – has anyone house-ruled on this potentially caustic subject?

From RQ2:

[…] an immediately harmful liquid which does damage equal to its potency. In other words, a potency 7 acid would do 7 points of damage to whatever is contacted. Sulphuric acid for automobile batteries or household lye (that’s a terrible example to put in a fantasy game) would be about potency 2 on this table. The most potent acid this skill can be used to make is potency 20. Acids are not magical in nature.

From BRP:

Weak acids inflict 1D3-1 points of damage per round. Strong acids inflict 1D4 points of damage per round. Very strong acids inflict 1D6+1 points of damage per round.

Armour does not neutralise acid, but does momentarily retard its effects. If the target is armoured, reduce the step for each type of acid […]

Too sleepy to write out the whole thing from BRP. Anyway, which rules do you perefer? I like the simplicity of the RQ2 rules, but they are rather lethal (I remember felling a 10m giant with a glazed ceramic bulb of potency 20 acid back in ’84 or so …).

We’re casting about for some better acid rules – has anyone house-ruled on this potentially caustic subject?

Too sleepy to write out the whole thing from BRP. Anyway, which rules do you perefer? I like the simplicity of the RQ2 rules, but they are rather lethal (I remember felling a 10m giant with a glazed ceramic bulb of potency 20 acid back in ’84 or so …).

Ok, damage as per BRP seems fine (actually, D4-1, D6 and D8+1 since the D3 sucks). What is not right is that eats armor on a pt per pt basis; its unrealistic and borderline gamebreaking.

Maybe weak acid does not eat though armor, medium acid eats 1 AP per round, up to HALF its damage, and strong eats 2 AP per round, up to its damage? (strong acid is aliens-like acid!... Or maybe a Gorp).

Of course, magic armors are "immune" to acid damage. In addition, the character receives a minimum of 1/2/3 damage (if the acid rolled that much) ignoring armor.

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Ok, damage as per BRP seems fine (actually, D4-1, D6 and D8+1 since the D3 sucks). What is not right is that eats armor on a pt per pt basis; its unrealistic and borderline gamebreaking.

Maybe weak acid does not eat though armor, medium acid eats 1 AP per round, up to HALF its damage, and strong eats 2 AP per round, up to its damage? (strong acid is aliens-like acid!... Or maybe a Gorp).

Of course, magic armors are "immune" to acid damage. In addition, the character receives a minimum of 1/2/3 damage (if the acid rolled that much) ignoring armor.

I actually like the RQ2 method better. A fixed potency for a given batch of a substance like an acid makes sense, I would simply adjust the potencies of the various types of acid listed. A fixed potency would also allow a simple modeling of chemical reaction with the world around... that is perhaps reducing the potency of the acid by one point per round to simulate oxidation, chemical bonding, dilution, with the surrounding substances. This would allow a 2 POT acid to eat thru leather armor, but only pit a metal breastplate.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
<sigh> grammer