Basic Roleplaying Publications and Links

Trifletraxor

9 hours ago, Keeper J said:

Howdy. I'm new to the forum and BRP. I like the system and I see that according to https://www.chaosium.com/brp-system-reference-document/ creators can create their own games or adventures using BRP. Can someone answer my questions?

1. I want a rules-lite world/game/adventures. Can I select which rules and mechanics I want to use from BRP and establish that as my base? Or would I need to just use the Quick Start if I want it to remain rules-lite?

2. If I'm correctly understanding all I've read about BRP being an OGL, then I assume I can create my own world, monsters, and whatnot. Is there someone who I can reach out to to confirm my creations are not going to be "too similar" and fall under the Prohibited list of things not allowed (see link above)?

3. I see that BRP is listed as a system on DrivethruRPG. Are there any restrictions or guidelines for uploading my created adventures and campaigns? (For example, I know CoC has Miskatonic Repository for its community created content with its own Guidelines for submissions.)

4. Any other standards, guidelines, or formatting/style guides I need to be aware of? Or perhaps tips, pointers, or sage advice from someone who's navigated this path before? 

Thanks so much.

Note that the "Big Gold Book" edition of BRP is not AFAIK covered by Chaosium's OGL, only the material in the SRD is.
But you're free to edit the (already rather spare & "rules-lite"!) SRD to further "liten" it.

So long as you avoid CoC, RQ, and Pendragon (and RoL & LotMS, when they come out), you should be in the clear.  But also -- anything that really is sufficiently-like an existing IP that someone's protecting, is something to avoid!

Kabouter Games' "Toxandria" is already published under the BRP-SRD OGL:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/321297/Toxandria
They would likely be your sagest advisor (if they're willing).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

Only the link to BRP and a couple of others in the first post work for me. The rest are 404 page not found. Are any of the items linked to in the first post available somewhere else. I don't know what might be going on as regards licensing to the like, so maybe these things just aren't available for some reason. If so, I'm not trying to get round anything like that.

I can see a few DrivethruRPG links which I've glanced at. What I would really like is some scenarios set in a Byzantium-like setting. Is there anywhere I can buy such things? I saw something about 9th century Iceland which looks interesting, but I'd prefer a fantasy version of 9th century Mediterranean setting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 1:20 AM, Sheelba said:

Hi there,

Only the link to BRP and a couple of others in the first post work for me. The rest are 404 page not found. Are any of the items linked to in the first post available somewhere else. I don't know what might be going on as regards licensing to the like, so maybe these things just aren't available for some reason. If so, I'm not trying to get round anything like that.

I can see a few DrivethruRPG links which I've glanced at. What I would really like is some scenarios set in a Byzantium-like setting. Is there anywhere I can buy such things? I saw something about 9th century Iceland which looks interesting, but I'd prefer a fantasy version of 9th century Mediterranean setting. 

Some have indeed been withdrawn, I think; but also, there's just been website-reorganization.

Go to "chaosium.com" and search for any titles of particular interest...

For example, Astounding Adventures is here:  https://www.chaosium.com/astounding-adventures-pdf/ 
and The Magic Book is here:  https://www.chaosium.com/the-magic-book-pdf/

(each in PDF only, not printed hardcopy)

Also, you can ask -- here on the forum -- for additional help/info/advice on particular genre's, topics, titles, etc.

Edited by g33k
The Magic Book

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 2/8/2023 at 3:03 AM, Scotty said:

if someone wants to check all the links, just post the edited version below and i'll split it into a new thread.

Is there any reason they still haven't showed back up? I keep wanting to link people to Basic Magic, Basic Creatures, Basic Gamemaster, Classic Fantasy, but they're nowhere to be found as far as I can tell from rudimentary web searches.

1 hour ago, FilBot3 said:

Is there any reason they still haven't showed back up? I keep wanting to link people to Basic Magic, Basic Creatures, Basic Gamemaster, Classic Fantasy, but they're nowhere to be found as far as I can tell from rudimentary web searches.

Classic Fantasy was one of Chaosium's "Monographs" -- 0383.
Basic Magic was #0370.
I haven't looked up the other two titles, but presume they're also monographs.

Chaosium has entirely discontinued the "Monograph" line.

• Sad 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, FilBot3 said:

Basic Magic, Basic Creatures, and Basic Gamemaster were basically Monograph reprints of the old RQ3 Magic, Creatures, and Gamemaster books (During the taped spine era of Monographs, I also recall a monograph that was basically the Players book).

While Creatures and Gamemaster are gone (might have luck on eBay or NobleKnight), Magic is still mostly available in PDF as The Magic Book, and its possible that you might still find physical copies in your FLGS or online shops.

Classic Fantasy in its yellow monograph format also appears from time to time. Might simply be easier to purchase the Mythras version and do some conversion, or wait for the self contained version to come out.

SDLeary

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2023 at 5:21 AM, SDLeary said:

While Creatures and Gamemaster are gone (might have luck on eBay or NobleKnight), Magic is still mostly available in PDF as The Magic Book, and its possible that you might still find physical copies in your FLGS or online shops.

SDLeary

I own a print copy of The Magic Book and my advice is: avoid that book like the plague.

They had decided to take away RQ Strike Ranks from it in order to make it compatible with the vanilla option of the BRP gold book. However they did it by simply searching Strike Rank in the text and substitute it with DEX rank, ignoring the fact that the two systems work in reverse fashion. Genius! You can imagine the results.

Those days were the lowest point ever for Chaosium and it's great to see that nowadays this beloved brand is back where it deserves. Really, grognards like to complain but we are living the golden days right now!

1 hour ago, smiorgan said:

They had decided to take away RQ Strike Ranks from it in order to make it compatible with the vanilla option of the BRP gold book. However they did it by simply searching Strike Rank in the text and substitute it with DEX rank, ignoring the fact that the two systems work in reverse fashion. Genius! You can imagine the results.

Err... Does that mean that, if you apply the rules strictly, a character with DEX 15 casting a 5 points Bladesharp will cast it at DEX rank 20 ?

4 hours ago, Mugen said:

Err... Does that mean that, if you apply the rules strictly, a character with DEX 15 casting a 5 points Bladesharp will cast it at DEX rank 20 ?

Exactly, the bloody book is written like that. But yeah it's a thing of the past.

• Confused 1