THE SPIDER GOD'S BRIDE

Trifletraxor

I've also noticed some strange inconsistencies in the NPC stat blocks.

Some NPCs have a Strike Rank of 0

Strike Rank is calculated correctly in some NPCs, but incorrectly in others. Some of this may be down to rounding errors (Legend always rounds up), but also I think the adapter has included SIZ in some of the SR calculations. This was an error in MRQII, clarified in the errata, and should have been included in Legend.

Strike Rank penalties for armour are highly inconsistent. Some seem to include a penalty; others don't.

There also seems to be a hold-over of the skill penalty for wearing armour found in MRQ1. Arahua, for example, on page 108, has his combat skills reduced by 20% from their base which would be consistent with a -20% Armour Penalty for his four hit locations with 5 AP per location: this is the MRQ1 way of doing things. Yet Legend doesn't penalise skills in this way.

The inclusion of some skills - Boating for instance - that won't be of much use or consequence; and the omission of others that would be of huge use, such as Insight.

So there does seem to be a strange mix of MRQ1, MRQII and Legend in The Spider God's Bride. These should've been error-trapped in both editing and proof-reading. It also signals a lack of understanding of the system on the parts of the developers and the editor. Given that several adapters have been involved in the project, greater attention to the mechanical conversions should've been given. Adapting the fluff text is straightforward enough, but people will be buying Spider God's Bride for the statistics. Unfortunately, they're inconsistent, unreliable and just downright odd. A shame.

Matt said that the book was cursed. I think he was right.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

From what I've heard, the content is great, the art is average (I was expecting more for this publication, the previews were not great), and the mechanics are sounding terribly inconsistent/flawed. The latter is a huge issue, as unless the mechanics are plug'n'play then there is not much point buying this release over buying a Conan D20 release and converting that how the GM wants. Actually Mongoose should look into the Conan licence and reboot their Conan line using the LEGEND game engine, it may be the only way to recover.

Terribly disappointed. I have it on pre-order, but it hasn't arrived yet. Not sure how many people will support the product now, given that it is gaining a bad reputation so quickly. Quite sad, hopefully future LEGEND products will be more to expectations...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I'm glad I waited to buy this one. I had vague fears it was going to end badly. Sadly, this is one of several missed opportunities in the history of MRQ/Legend.

Mongoose revived RQ when nobody had any hopes of that happening and hired talented people like Loz, Pete as well as Gareth Hanrahan who wrote great stuff, but quality control has always been ... let's say their weak point.

If I ever buy TSGB it will be the D&D version.

It just gets worse the more you read it, there are missing stats, duplicated stats, references to D&D artifacts, to divine magic spells. I wasn't sure what the strange elements were until Pete & Loz pointed it's using MRQ1, and when I look at now it seems all the NPCs and monsters are using MRQ1 skills, systems, magic but even given that it's still a mess.

Edited by Bilharzia
edited for silliness.

It just gets worse the more you read it, there are missing stats, duplicated stats, references to D&D artifacts, to divine magic spells. I wasn't sure what the strange elements were until Pete & Loz pointed it's using MRQ1, and when I look at now it seems all the NPCs and monsters are using MRQ1 skills, systems, magic but even given that it's still a mess.

There are some MRQII/Legend elements in there, but they've been applied incorrectly and inconsistently. I have found one instance of the Insight skill in an NPC stat block, but only one. Some creatures don't have Persistence and/or Resilience skills listed, which are fundamental to quite a few Combat Manoeuvres. As you say, there are also some missing stats (Hit Locations and Hit Points on two stat blocks that I've found).

The magic is just... bizarre. The opening statements about how to treat magic begin well enough, but fizzle into a rather useless (because there are no examples or guidance notes) blanket statement. How is one meant to treat a Common Magic spell such as Disruption for instance? As a sorcery spell? If it weren't for the stupidly low casting and manipulation skills, a manipulated Disruption spell could easily mean a TPK within a couple of rounds.

I have a feeling that the adapter may have interpreted the separate magic systems in Legend as simply being spell lists from separate sources, with sorcery having a couple of additional bells and whistles in the form of manipulation. In reality, the different magic systems are graded quite carefully to reflect the escalating powers of the caster depending on the tradition. To not grasp that, or apply the rules correctly, indicates that the adapter either:

a) didn't read the rules properly

B) didn't understand them and didn't reach out to check

Either way, magic is barked.

You know, I really HATE trashing a product. I know how tough converting an existing book is into another system: I had to do it several times at Mongoose and its always far more work than it appears. However, despite being an obvious competitor to Legend, I'm always keen to see a well-applied book using mechanics I've written and so I was looking forward to SGB: I would've liked to be able to recommend it to RQ6 players who are after a dose of Conan-esque Sword and Sorcery. But with these extensive errors, I just can't, which is sad.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Ugh. I bought the PDF as soon as it came out, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Now I know what to look forward to. (And I have the D&D version already; the whole point was to have someone else translate it into Legend.) From now on I only buy things after the reviews come in.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

I haven't purchased the book yet and after reading some of the comments here, I doubt I will. This is extremely disappointing as I was really looking forward to this supplement. Damn. Mongoose's lack of attention to detail strikes yet again. Matt promised the faithful that after the faults with Pirates of Legend that more attention would be paid to future conversions - obviously this is not the case, which is a shame.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching the Legend forum re this and Darren Pearce is the author given the task of correcting the flaws as they pertain to NPC stat blocks and some other minor corrections. I must say, from what I've seen on the forum, Darren is doing a great job and the updated book will be welcome on my shelf. Once he has completed the work and the book is updated, the corrected PDF will be available from DTRPG. If you've already purchased it, rest assured a properly converted version is not far off.

If you've already purchased it, rest assured a properly converted version is not far off.

Beware of the curse! Seriously, Darren is doing a great job and I'm looking forwards to the revised version. I find it interesting comparing the difference in atmosphere between it and Book of Quests. SGB is classic exotic S&S with pyramids, sand and bloody sacrifices. BoQ is much more of an "old world" northern European style with mountains, cities and a lurking menace. Those who like mashing things up (like me) could find that both could easily be transplanted to the same setting quite easily. Probably a good 50 sessions of play time with both added together.

• 1 month later...

The updated PDF is out on DTRPG

Legend: The Spider God's Bride - Mongoose | Legend | DriveThruRPG.com

Fixed: NPCs, this includes restoring description, tactics and possessions.

Fixed: Monsters in adventures.

Fixed: Monster appendix.

Fixed: Chapter on gods, cults and demons with Legend style Sorcery as the basis for the cults themselves.

Fixed: Adventures (minor text) with additions and clarifications.

New: Magic items.

New: Magic chapter.

New: Poison appendix

• 2 months later...

A lot of people have been waiting a long time for this one but we are finally pleased to announce, the Spider God's Bride, Morten Braten's epic R.E Howardesque campaign, is now in print - and it is a big 'un!

The Spider God's Bride - Core Rulebooks & Accessories - Legend - RPGs

Unlike all other Legend books, this one is full-size (rather than the usual digest format), and weighs in at 250 pages of sword and sorcery goodness!

The Spider-God's Bride is a collection of ten blood-red sword and sorcery adventures, inspired by the pulp era tales of Robert E. Howard and Clark Ashton Smith. Venture in the footsteps of Conan the Cimmerian, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, Imaro of Nyumbani, and other fabled thieves, reavers and slayers!

Pre-orders have already left the building and are on their way to you right now!

We have also released other Legend books recently you may be interested in, including Gladiators, Pirates and Samurai of Legend.

• Like 1

Finally! I was so happy that most of the issues got fixed before it went into print. Was so disappointed when the pdf was first released but after the work over we finally saw a very nice book taking shape. Have a move coming up but once I get a new group together in the new city I plan on running the campaign.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks very interesting! Could someone outline the following:

1) How does the book modify/expand the sorcery rules in the core rulebook?

2) Does it add more spells?

3) Are demons addressed in some way?

4) tied to the above: could the sorcery and monsters be used for an Hyborian Age game? What I am looking for, is something similar in feel to the sorcery rules implemented in the d20 Conan game.

Thanks,

Antonio

• 1 year later...

You could check over at MGP but IIRC the conversion was done by someone unfamiliar with the Legend system and it was his first conversion to Legend to boot. I suspect that it will not get an update as MGP are a little slapdash in correcting the numerous errata found in their products.

Nigel

Thanks for the reply.

I posted on MG website but I got no reply. I wonder how people really run these scenarios without these basic information :?

There is a full reply now - it looks like the Cultural Backgrounds were not one of the things requested to be fixed, but there is a list of the backgrounds for each race.

Personally, I don't use the normal backgrounds any more, but have a background for every nation. It allows more flexibility, but does mean that similar nations are only slightly different.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here