MYTHIC ICELAND - Legend & Adventure in Viking-Age Iceland

Trifletraxor

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have tried to download the free adventure, but it doesnt show up in the "My download" section of my account.. sigh

You could "buy" it here:

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=6652&osCsid=a31d2fe49fd7590fde7aa05f26195a79

Once you have "bought" it, it should become a part of your account.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 2 weeks later...

You could "buy" it here:

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=6652&osCsid=a31d2fe49fd7590fde7aa05f26195a79

Once you have "bought" it, it should become a part of your account.

I had the same problem as galafrone. I "bought" the free adventure 3-5 times and it never did appear in my list of purchased downloads. The Yule cat is hiding under the sofa, apparently.

• 1 month later...

8 weeks is an eternity:_(

Why don't you convert the MRQII (or is it Legend now?) Vikings book to BRP? Better than waiting for the printed version of Mythic Iceland to arrive. Then you'll be able to meld both settings together, if Mythic Iceland turns up, for some Viking mayhem!=O

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 1 month later...

I emailed Dustin about this last week, and at that point he didn't know. Since then, a notice on the Chaosium site states that Mythic Iceland has headed off to the printers.

SDLeary

Ég er svo leiðist.... Its taking an eternity.:_(

Jewelled, the multiverse spread around him, awash with life, rich with pulsating energy...

At least it's at the printer... (Now, impatiently vibrating.)

I can't imagine using anything but BRP for historical fantasy. How many levels of which classes would the world's leaders and personalities have? It's much, much easier to stat things up in BRP...

Emerging from my Dark Age...

It's much, much easier to stat things up in BRP...

It is, and that is why I like BRP. Also, I like to be able to play a character by it's description, not by it's special Abilities, Pros, Cons or whatever they are called in other systems.

Mythic Iceland is a very nice setting. Finally a bit of Fantasy without Dwarfs and Elves. I really hate people connect Fantasy with "Lord of the Rings" all the time. ;)

Mythic Iceland is a very nice setting. Finally a bit of Fantasy without Dwarfs and Elves. I really hate people connect Fantasy with "Lord of the Rings" all the time. ;)

I think you'll find plenty of elves and dwarfs in Mythic Iceland. The original concepts from which Tolkien derived his fantasy folk.

Jewelled, the multiverse spread around him, awash with life, rich with pulsating energy...

No, you find references to them (hidden folk) but it is all optional.

Any supplement that has the term "Mythic" in its title and deals with an Icelandic/Norse setting had better have the original concepts of elves and dwarves, Alfar and Dvergar, mentioned in it; otherwise it isn't doing its job. If there are no stats for them I'm glad that I bought MRQII Vikings, which does more than reference them, and the mythic elements in that setting are also optional.

Even then, they are absolutely different from Tolkin creatures. ;)

They are very different from the original Norse concepts. Gimli would be a statue if he went about in daylight if he was more like the Norse Dvergar, and Alfar can be more like spirits at times than physical creatures.

Edited by Romerac Elerion

The Hidden People (Elves) are statted and have a whole chapter in the book. Thing is, they are different from all Elves of a Fantasy setting I know and are in my opinion more believable if a GM would use them.

The Mythic in the title of the book could also reference to the magic provided in the book, the creatures in the book and the sagas.

All in all Mythic Iceland is a very realistic setting, it is very playable and very enjoyable. If you are looking for an other Fanttasy settin, this is not it.

I think it is not fair of you speaking bad of a book you have not even read. I can see where Tolkin might got his ideas from (sagas of Iceland), but this does not mean you have Elves running over the place all time.

Also, when read the book, you get an extremely well researched impression about Iceland, its history, its people, community, sagas and Islandic life.

The sagas play a big part in the book as they are essential for the believes of the Icelandic people, but, again, this does not mean you have fantasy creatures running all over the land. You can bring them in, but they will be as they are described in the sagas of Iceland. And that is totally different from Tolkin species.

Which is a fresh and appreciated new start for an Icelandic adventure.

The Hidden People (Elves) are statted and have a whole chapter in the book. Thing is, they are different from all Elves of a Fantasy setting I know and are in my opinion more believable if a GM would use them.

Oh, so its not just a reference to them after all.:D Good. So there is plenty of stuff (a whole chapter, as you write) to do with elves, or as they were known to the Norse, the Alfar.

I think it is not fair of you speaking bad of a book you have not even read. I can see where Tolkin might got his ideas from (sagas of Iceland), but this does not mean you have Elves running over the place all time.

I know the difference between full on Tolkienistic fantasy and a more historical, more realistic fantasy, with the fantasy elements a lot less full on. I never wrote that "you have elves running over the place (sic) all time." That is your misconception.:P

You were the one that misled me into thinking that there were no stats for the Alfar when you wrote this...

No, you find references to them (hidden folk)

When in fact there is an entire chapter on them, according to you, with yummy yummy stats.:D

Also, when read the book, you get an extremely well researched impression about Iceland, its history, its people, community, sagas and Islandic life..

Thats what I am looking for. Thanks for elaborating on the contents of the book. I will definately buy if it ever appears in book form.:)

Edited by Romerac Elerion

8 weeks is an eternity:_(

I like the slowness of Chaosium. If you aren't made of money it gives you time to save up enough cash to buy the book that you've been told about. It gives Chaosium the time to correct any errors in the publication too. And patience is a virtue! And if you have been following the tweets, it is out in the merry merry month of May! ;D

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Gimli would be a statue if he went about in daylight if he was more like the Norse Dvergar ...

This is actually more a problem of trolls than of dwarves, many of the dwarves of

the Norse mythology (e.g. Hreidmar and his sons Fafnir, Otr and Regin, also Andva-

ri) obviously had no problem to move around in full daylight, their "special feature"

was the ability to shapechange into animals.

However, the otherworld creatures of the Norse mythology were rarely well defined,

in the end they had the abilities and weaknesses the author of the tale wanted for

his tale. For example, there is even a tale where a human becomes an elf after his

death, a king of the dwarves (Alberic) has a name which means "elf", even Gandalf

was originally the name of a dwarf, and so on.

Therefore I think that stats for these beings are not of much use. They are a kind

of spirits which are and can do whatever the plot requires, and human attempts to

"classify" them into different "species" are just an attempt to understand what can-

not really be understood by humans.

Edited by rust

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I like the slowness of Chaosium. If you aren't made of money it gives you time to save up enough cash to buy the book that you've been told about. It gives Chaosium the time to correct any errors in the publication too. And patience is a virtue! And if you have been following the tweets, it is out in the merry merry month of May! ;D

Yup. I hate games where I feel like I've got to get a monthly subscription to keep up with all the books just in case one of my players pulls some random rule out.

And, as far as I know Mythic Iceland is at the printer. It should be out any day now.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Hey All,

Word from on high is that Mythic Iceland is at the printer, and will arrive at Chaosium's warehouse sometime late next week or early the following week. This means that it will be in Chaosium's 30% sale that is going on for the next couple of days. Charlie will be making a formal announcement on the website saying that Chaosium will be accepting pre-orders for Mythic Iceland during the sale. However, any order that contains Mythic Iceland (regardless of other product) will wait to be shipped until Mythic Iceland arrives at the warehouse. I would place a pre-order during the sale, 30% off is not too shabby.

Old Harry the Drifter

Weird. I was able to purchase the book, but when I went back to purchase the PDF in a separate transaction, I got stuck in the checkout process with no error message; when I select a payment option and try to check out, it returns to the same page.