MYTHIC ICELAND - Legend & Adventure in Viking-Age Iceland

Trifletraxor

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually more a problem of trolls than of dwarves,

"A troll is a supernatural being in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore. In origin, one of the meanings of the term troll was a negative synonym for a jötunn (plural jötnar), a being in Norse mythology, although the word was also used about witches, berserkers and various other evil magical figures."

Not until later, after the viking period according to Pete Nash, did the trolls we know and love become a separate race of creatures.

However, the otherworld creatures of the Norse mythology were rarely well defined,

Therefore I think that stats for these beings are not of much use. They are a kind

of spirits which are and can do whatever the plot requires, and human attempts to

"classify" them into different "species" are just an attempt to understand what can-

not really be understood by humans.

That depends on how you want to run your game. ;)

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

"A troll is a supernatural being in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore. In origin, one of the meanings of the term troll was a negative synonym for a jötunn (plural jötnar), a being in Norse mythology, although the word was also used about witches, berserkers and various other evil magical figures."

Not until later, after the viking period according to Pete Nash, did the trolls we know and love become a separate race of creatures.

At what point did they become Internet savvy (apparently the first demihumans to do so)? =|

Got mine today. Looks very nice!

Steve

Yeah, mine pitched up today as well - slightly confused now though as I had included it in a big order for free international shipping and I was sort of expecting it to arrive with some other books...

Only had time for the briefest of skims but looks very good.

Nick

Where's your review then?

Ok, I've had it for a day, I've looked at it for 15 minutes while waiting outside a store. So, here's a comprehensive, cross-checked, and accurate assessment:

* It's good. Lots of material for a campaign.

* Lots of background -- most of what I've read is background, 'what's different' and feel.

* There are monsters, a couple of which I've read.

* There is a section for Cthulhu that I haven't read.

* There's a map.

* There's stuff on magic. There are backgrounds.

There you go.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Your review makes it sound great. I'll see if I can pick up a copy based on your succinct but informative post :)

LOL. It is great, but my review (and the time I've had with it) is so brief as to be worthless -- you can get as much from the previous discussion. I admit to being a little peevish when I got the "where's the review" message within 24 hours of getting it. :-/

Ending is good, the text reads well. I hope to get a minute to look through the magic section this week.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Got mine today.

Very impressive book. It really delivers what it promises. Plenty of good-written material that can enrich any of your setting with nordic feel or could be run as a stand-alone game. Mythic Iceland presents a very authentic yet eerie viking'ish setting, far from Hollywood viking archetype presented today.

Magic system is extremely interesting and fits setting like no other would. Lay of the lend has been done with astonishing quality and many adventure seeds.

Bad things? None yet. May-be some more evocative art would be a nice addition.

I almost want to visit Iceland now. Can't recommend highly this book. I am very glad that BRP received such unique supplement.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mythic Iceland character sheet is now available as a free download from Basic Roleplaying Central:

Mythic Iceland character sheet - Downloads - Basic Roleplaying Central

Pedro, I'm just taking a minute to tell you how good your book is. I must admit that I was very skeptical about yet another "Viking" book and one focusing on Iceland at that. I'm glad you proved me wrong.

I have been working away from home for the last two months. I have just finally had a couple days to start in on reading this book. It was well worth the wait. Thanks for putting so much blood, sweat and tears into this work, I am really impressed and love everything I have read so far.

This isn't without a complaint, though. As a general rant let me complain once again about how poor of a job Chaosium do on their products. The formatting in Chaosium books is of such low quality that if it were submitted for an entry level college course, it would receive very poor marks, if not outright fail.

But that has nothing to do with how great this book is. I would have stopped buying Chaosium products years ago if I cared at all about visual aesthetics and/or quality proofreading. So let me say one more time, just to be clear, this book is excellent and it was worth the excruciating wait it took during the production process and the last five weeks it was sitting at home waiting on me. Thanks Pedro.

121/420

I have been working away from home for the last two months. I have just finally had a couple days to start in on reading this book. It was well worth the wait. Thanks for putting so much blood, sweat and tears into this work, I am really impressed and love everything I have read so far.

This isn't without a complaint, though. As a general rant let me complain once again about how poor of a job Chaosium do on their products. The formatting in Chaosium books is of such low quality that if it were submitted for an entry level college course, it would receive very poor marks, if not outright fail.

But that has nothing to do with how great this book is. I would have stopped buying Chaosium products years ago if I cared at all about visual aesthetics and/or quality proofreading. So let me say one more time, just to be clear, this book is excellent and it was worth the excruciating wait it took during the production process and the last five weeks it was sitting at home waiting on me. Thanks Pedro.

Not to threadjack here, but I'm curious what you didn't like about the layout? The only thing I though was that the Body Copy slightly too large. PM if you don't want to clutter the forum.

Now... I'm not far into it, but Pedro has done a FANTASTIC job! :D

SDLeary

• 3 weeks later...