If you could choose a setting for a Flintlock & Steel adventure...?

doomedpc

Russia in the reign of Peter the Great, who is trying to drag his empire kicking and screaming into a modern way of life they don't really want. Player characters can working for or against the Tsar and his increasingly strident demands. Plus he's building a great city (to name after himself, of course) in a location where no sane person would want to live, especially in winter, and insisting on making it his capital! throw in the supernatural legacy of Old Russia, the ongoing war with Sweden, and the growing influence of Western powers.

More great stuff! No-one need fret that it's too late to post on this thread - I check it regularly. There are various things in the pipeline for the F&S range already, and as soon as the decks are a little clearer, we'll make an announcement updating our schedule :)

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

How about something in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth during the height or twilight of the golden age? Political Intrigue in the Sejm/parliament, numerous wars and freebooting in Zaporizhia. Mind you, I was working on this myself for a while, but got sidetracked plus I found enough military history but very little social history i.e. what daily like was like in the Commonwealth.

Now I'd love to know more about this. Mark Galeotti is a good source for things Baltic and Russian..

1640. Germany. The Thirty Years' War is approaching its climax, and Germany is in dire straits. But rampaging armies that pillage, loot and rape wherever they go will soon be the least of the people's problems. For something lurks in the depths of the Black Forest. Something that thrives on blood and chaos. Something that makes fighting worse and turns battles into mutual annihilation. Something that destroys for its own sake, without reason or mercy. Something that can't be fought, reasoned with or understood. Something with the potential to swallow the world. And only a rag-tag groups of deserters from two opposing armies and a young girl threatened with charges of witchcraft are able to stand against it....

Now I'd love to know more about this. Mark Galeotti is a good source for things Baltic and Russian..

I've found Norman Davies' "God's Playground, A History of Poland; Volume 1: The Origins to 1975" to be useful. I just don't have the time currently to work on it.

BRP 31/420

• 3 weeks later...

This is the exact Renaissance campaign I've been running for the last year or so.

1640. Germany. The Thirty Years' War is approaching its climax, and Germany is in dire straits. But rampaging armies that pillage, loot and rape wherever they go will soon be the least of the people's problems. For something lurks in the depths of the Black Forest. Something that thrives on blood and chaos. Something that makes fighting worse and turns battles into mutual annihilation. Something that destroys for its own sake, without reason or mercy. Something that can't be fought, reasoned with or understood. Something with the potential to swallow the world. And only a rag-tag groups of deserters from two opposing armies and a young girl threatened with charges of witchcraft are able to stand against it....

And this is the campaign I ran for about five months prior to that:

Russia in the reign of Peter the Great, who is trying to drag his empire kicking and screaming into a modern way of life they don't really want. Player characters can working for or against the Tsar and his increasingly strident demands. Plus he's building a great city (to name after himself, of course) in a location where no sane person would want to live, especially in winter, and insisting on making it his capital! throw in the supernatural legacy of Old Russia, the ongoing war with Sweden, and the growing influence of Western powers.
Edited by cjbowser
typo and clarification

Russia, 1812...

Maybe not for a setting, but for a scenario? Whoa. I may have to write one myself. Of course, its probably already been done (I haven't kept up on CoC releases in 20 odd years).

We have a hollow victory followed by the looting of Europe's most exotic capital, fire, retreat, starvation, the army's disintegration, frostbite, cossaks! half a million dead, an unparallelled disaster ... and the great old ones. Also, tons of historically colorful characters. Hetman Platov was known never to go into battle without his personal sorcerer - a perfect antagonist. If it hasn't been done, there is tremendous potential here.

I realize it is a little late, but I would love to see a Napoleonic setting at some point. There are a lot of us old Napy's gamers who are role players too.

Russia, 1812...

Maybe not for a setting, but for a scenario? Whoa. I may have to write one myself. Of course, its probably already been done (I haven't kept up on CoC releases in 20 odd years).

We have a hollow victory followed by the looting of Europe's most exotic capital, fire, retreat, starvation, the army's disintegration, frostbite, cossaks! half a million dead, an unparallelled disaster ... and the great old ones. Also, tons of historically colorful characters. Hetman Platov was known never to go into battle without his personal sorcerer - a perfect antagonist. If it hasn't been done, there is tremendous potential here.

I realize it is a little late, but I would love to see a Napoleonic setting at some point. There are a lot of us old Napy's gamers who are role players too.

Oh, go on, write it! :)

It's not too late to post on here - we have a crazy full schedule, but we intend to keep adding to the line. In fact, I've just finished editing a Renaissance adventure today :)

I'd love to do Napoleonics and made sure Renaissance Deluxe included the scope for it. We'll see what our writers come up with (I can't see me working solo/with Ken on it within the next six months).

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings