Thunder Rebels. Religion

mikuel

I'm reading Thunder Rebels from Moon design publishing.

I came across this.

"When the Heortling Rites end, each New Adult names the deity that they think (or hope) has chosen them..." "The New Adults receive instruction on worship during the next year. At the end of the first year the groups meet again, and this time the elders assign a deity for each New Adult to learn about for a year..."

Does this mean that a child picks a god and learns about that god for an entire year?

Then at the end that year, the elders assign a god to that child/pre-adult which could be entirely different from the one that they choose? Or do they pick a differnt god for the new adult to learn about? It seems that these pre-adults get a year of training in something. What benifits or skills do these pre-adults get? Magic?

Thanks,

Michael

I probably wouldn't worry too much about that.

After their Coming of Age ceremony, new adults choose their deity and are taught more about that deity. This would probably involve sitting in the weaving halls with the women, or doing farm work in the fields, helping nurse patients, setting snares to trap game and so on. Basically, this is a "try before you buy" time, to see if the cult that you thought would suit you actually does.

After the year, the Elders could assign you to a different deity, but probably won't. In the odd case where they do, they would say "You thought that Orlanth has called you, but you are good with alynxes, sneak around at night and have a way with the ladies, perhaps Yinkin is calling you".

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I think the kind of skills that get learnt depends on the god being worshipped. So Humakt worshippers get taught how to use a sword because that is a skill that Humakt is well known for, Orlanth might teach orate, Vinga dodge, Lhankor Mhy knowledge skills, Chalana Arroy first aid. In Gods of Glorantha (and other sources) all of the religions are associated with a small group of skills that they teach their worshippers, these skills are directly related to things the god is famous for.

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

All versions of RuneQuest have a high level of compatibility, assuming you can get over the slight differences.

Even HeroQuest is compatible enough that it is fairly easy to use HeroQuest creatures/stats with RuneQuest.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here