My gaming group normally runs low fantasy, but during a recent session we were discussing other settings. Most of the players were RP virgins before joining, so a lot of this is new. Among the things that blew them away was the Shadowrun setting, since they hail from Seattle and had no idea it existed. So now that will be the next campaign.

Thing is, I've never actually played it myself. I'm familiar with the setting via the videogames, and the consensus on rpg.net seems to be that the system is a bit shoddy. I have nabbed the 4th/20th anniversary core book and a handful of pdfs, but the reaction from my players is fairly strongly resistant to the d6. I think now that they get to use the weird dice they don't want to go back to the Monopoly ⚄.

I have a healthy D100 library, BGB, RQ6, MRQII, CoC, etc, how difficult would it really be to swap it mechanically out for a BRP system? I don't think they'll want to give up the RQ6 combat. Also, they're not dying for the authentic hardcore canonical FASA experience, we can fudge elements if necessary, although it seems much of the futurist elements are somewhat underrepresented, at least in my library...

Thanks for reading

Currently running...

Blood & Oil... The Wastes of Mad Max in BRP on Roll20

My gaming group normally runs low fantasy, but during a recent session we were discussing other settings. Most of the players were RP virgins before joining, so a lot of this is new. Among the things that blew them away was the Shadowrun setting, since they hail from Seattle and had no idea it existed. So now that will be the next campaign.

Thing is, I've never actually played it myself. I'm familiar with the setting via the videogames, and the consensus on rpg.net seems to be that the system is a bit shoddy. I have nabbed the 4th/20th anniversary core book and a handful of pdfs, but the reaction from my players is fairly strongly resistant to the d6. I think now that they get to use the weird dice they don't want to go back to the Monopoly ⚄.

I have a healthy D100 library, BGB, RQ6, MRQII, CoC, etc, how difficult would it really be to swap it mechanically out for a BRP system? I don't think they'll want to give up the RQ6 combat. Also, they're not dying for the authentic hardcore canonical FASA experience, we can fudge elements if necessary, although it seems much of the futurist elements are somewhat underrepresented, at least in my library...

Thanks for reading

I prefer D100 systems to Shadowrun's dice pool system, although it clearly isn't an issue for Shadowrun fans who buy the game books with such enthusiasm and abundance. It's main selling points are the art, the frequency of the supplements and the fairly unique blend of cyberpunk and fantasy genres. It's arguably one of the most successful urban fantasy rpgs ever.

The genre can be done with BRP, without too much difficulty, although there hasn't been much published support for it within the BRP community itself. Maybe 'Punktown' will fit the niche when it comes out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1799183063/punktown-an-rpg-setting-for-call-of-cthulhu-and-br

Thanks for reading

You should be able to do it with the BGB if you want to go straight BRP. It sounds like you are running RQ6 right now though, so you might just want to nab their Firearms document from the Design Mechanism site. Both books have enough information to head off in directions other than Fantasy.

SDLeary

Thanks guys. Punktown definitely looks promising, wish I had gotten in on the KS when it was live, but no matter. I think D6 is completely out of the question, but yeah the supplements are vibrant and fluffy.

Ive got the firearms supplement, i think my biggest quandaries now are how to handle the cybernetics. Im not worried about getting a perfect emulation, like I said, so if the sorcery looks more like RQ6 sorcery than SR, I think we'll live. The shamanistic elements are obviously already covered, but I wonder if something similar to the spirit journeys could be used for jacking into the matrix. Not sure how that was handled exactly, but let's be honest here, Shadowrun came a long time after Neuromancer, lol. Also, I may need to derive a few altered stat ranges for the various metahuman forms, especially Trolls etc.

I hadn t ever noticed the lack of near future support in the family supplements. Nearest Ive got is John Ossoway's Cthulhu Rising monograph but even that is too interstellar for my purposes here. Punktown looks really close, that should prove useful when available...

This may turn out to be quite the project, but it may also prove quite fascinating. Seems itll be less a conversion of an existing BRP supplement and more a full conversion of Shadowrun... Whatever I end up with I'll make available here.

Edit: reading through the SR4th and BGB, this won't be too hard, but I'll want to have as much as possible predefined if BGB cybernetics are super powered equipment...

Edit 2: Link6746's efforts are much appreciated in the cybernetics department! http://basicroleplaying.com/showthread.php/3443-Current-Project-BRP-Open-Cybernetics-Subsystem

Edited by Dreadnought

Currently running...

Im with you on the skill, but why sub sorcery for shamanism?

I had more or less planned -

Sorcery for all Hermetic Magic

Animism/Shamanism for Shamanism

Mysticism for the Adepts

Is that not appropriate?

Currently running...

Sorcery for shamanism in my ideas was linked to the idea that shamanic magic in shadowrun, to my (limited) knowlege, is about stat boosts, healing, and protection in mechanical terms. Anything beyond the spell choice and (maybe) the source or nature of the powers is, IMO, window dressing... but nonetheless, important window dressing, so if you want to come up with your own spell lists based on what each magic type is, rename and add skills, elaborate styles and sources etc., it's probably a better fit. What's important, as always, is the "Feel" of the conversion.

That said, I seldom look at shadowrun materials, so your approach is probably the correct one if there's a mechanical difference in casting methods and capabilities of each method.

Ah yes, I get what you mean. You're right there, and I'm torn on the point of keeping the compelling RQ6 Animism rules for Shamanism (or even using the somewhat simpler MRQII/Legend Spirit Magic rules), or translating RQ6 Sorcery as Shamanism to keep the arcadey feel of SR Shamanism. I think ultimately itll boil down to comparing spell lists and making judgement calls, or else completely abandon SR mechanics in favor of fully embracing the RQ6 forms.

The playgroup just changed a bit. There are now three of us, and we'll all make individual characters, but take turns GMing a continuous plotline. I think at this point allowing everyone the comfort of familiar magic styles takes precedent over enforcing a standard nobody is familiar with. Still, I think breaking up a RQ spell list amongst the spirit totems from SR and making those the spirits tapped via RQ animism isn't too far beyond the pale for the group to handle. This should prove fascinating! Now to whip up some SR thematic character sheets using RQ blocks.

Currently running...

• 1 month later...

how difficult would it really be to swap it mechanically out for a BRP system?

My group has attempted the same thing, for cybernetics we have simply used Super Powers, so far. Magic hasn't been much of an issue yet. We've only played twice with months in between, since the group lives far away, but i'll have to keep track of your progress and maybe we'll pull a few ideas. :)

This is some quick conversion stuff I put together to use Shadowrun setting stuff...it is basic and mostly guidelines for the GM to do fine-tuning with, but it may be of some use. Also there is a very good Shadowrun to D20 conversion here and I found that a lot of the stuff translates easier from d20 (damage, stats, skill % = skill x 5) than from Shadowrun directly.

Shadowrun to BRP

Logic INT

Intuition WIS

Charisma CHA

Willpower POW

Strength STR

Body CON

Agility/Reflexes highest or average becomes DEX

SPD is not converted (use 11)

EDU is not converted (use background to determine)

Starting characters are 6th level in D&D, or 3rd level in Palladium.

Stat range is 1 to 6 for humans

Skill range is 1 to 10 for humans

Stats conversion

1 8

2 10

3 12

4 14

5 16

6 18

7 20

8 22

9 23

10 24

Hermetic Magic and Shamanic Magic are separate skill sets.

Each spell is a different skill, can use either Sorcery or Magic rules, but it must be same for both

Skill rating conversion

1 25%

2 50%

3 60%

4 70%

5 75%

6 80%

7 85%

8 90%

9 95%

10 99%

Damage ratings