BRP Starships pdf - comments welcome

clarence

Hi all,

I just uploaded a pdf with rules for sci-fi gaming in BRP, that I have been using for a while. They are mainly for star wars-like space opera, but I believe they can be used in other settings as well. They have grown out of a frustration that there have been no actual starship rules for BRP (or not much for science fiction at all - though River of Heaven seems to change that).

I appreciate all comments: overall concepts, game balance, language - anything at all. 

Download link: 

or try: http://ge.tt/9acymz12?c

Clarence

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

That sounds great! I'm happy you enjoy it.

Here is the first draft for the rules for Ship Condition that will be in the pdf with the next update:

Ship Condition

Ranges from 0 to -100. All new ships start with zero.

-10 every time maintenance is not payed (1% of ship cost every fourth adventure).

-10 for every damage not repaired properly after a battle.

At -20 reduce one stat by 2.

At -40 roll at the Malfunction table once every second adventure.

At -60 reduce two stats by 4.

At -80 roll for Malfunction once every adventure, +2 on Duration Table.

At -100, the ship is entirely untrustworthy, with systems coming on and off arbitrarily. Roll on Malfunction Table freely! All stats at -6.

Also use Ship Condition as a negative Repair skill modifier; especially effective with mid-combat repairs.

To increase Condition, one Repair roll is required per +10, plus the expenses in Credits. It takes one day with the full negative modifier, two days with modifier halved.

The modifier can also be used when buying and selling used starships. For example, a ship with condition -40 is sold at -40% compared to a new one.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

Thank you all for the positive feedback! Here is the download link for the updated BRP Starships 1.1: http://ge.tt/3fu22wK1/v/0?c

What's new:

- Rules for Ship Condition

- Added a fifth step in the combat round to make it clear where repairs, first aid and other skill rolls by crew members are made

- Rules for disabling and boarding ships

- Rules for ramming

- New Module: Tractor beam

I hope you'll enjoy!

@nerdvana: I would love to! (Why didn't I think of adding bookmarks...?) Do you need my email address?

What program do you use to make the file bookmarked? I will have to check if I can have InDesign fix that in the next update, or perhaps it is easier in Acrobat?

@Baron: I'm not very familiar with Fading Suns, so please keep us updated if you try to port it! It would be interesting to hear how the rules stand up to it...

I would love to! (Why didn't I think of adding bookmarks...?) Do you need my email address?

What program do you use to make the file bookmarked? I will have to check if I can have InDesign fix that in the next update, or perhaps it is easier in Acrobat?

I use Adobe Professional to do those changes. And why don't you PM me your email address and I'll do the bookmarking I'm interested in doing and send it to you to see what you think. If you like it you or I could upload it (probably best you as it is really your work).

Tried sending you a PM Clarance, as it didn't go to my sent folder I am not sure if you received it. Let me know if you didn't. I have the file on my 4shared though I can put the link in the thread here if you'd rather I do that. (I also fixed page numbering, applied some document properties and moved the location of the blank sheet to the end for reasons of personal aesthetics.)