54 replies to this topic

#1 Brimgeth

Brimgeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hi,

If this isn't the right area for this, apologies in advance.

I just noticed on Noble Knight's new listings that a Worlds of Wonder set is available. A pit pricy though. I've never seen one in Australia; when was it published?

#2 Atgxtg

Atgxtg

• Members
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Frankly speaking, while Worlds of Wonder was groundbreaking in 1982, it has very little to recommend it in 2014.

Worlds of Wonder has a very minimal ruleset comprised of the old 16 page BRP booklet, and similar sized booklets for fantasy, superhero and sci-fir campaigns. While a novel concept in 1982, and the first real expansion of the RQ/BRP game system beyond fantasy, pretty much everything in it has been superseded by newer, better supplements that are better fleshed out, with more complete and functional rulesets. The BRP core rulebook, for instance, pretty much covers everything in WoW and more.

Heck, if your just curious about it, try googling Worlds of Wonder and you will probably find quite a bit about (or all of) it on-line.
Smiley when you say that. :P

#3 Conrad

Conrad

Lizard Wizard

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

I would love to be able to buy it but $125 is a bit steep, and most of the game is on this site. But the scenario for magic world is missing. http://basicrps.naro.../index-wow.html :)

Edited by Conrad, 20 April 2014 - 11:42 AM.

http://www.basicrps....quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

#4 seneschal

seneschal

• Members
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

The free download version of WoW was useful for me because it contained powers and abilities far beyond the page limitations of the Big Gold Book for superheroes. A lot of the Superworld powers made it into the BGB, but not all.

#5 Brimgeth

Brimgeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

I'm interested in the sci-fi aspect of the set, myself. Are there any details what was included for a sci fi campaign? starships? robots? power armour and bolt guns?

#6 Hexelis

Hexelis

Master of M'theria

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

No ships. It had gate travel (like stargate) but included a setting, character creation, some aliens and robots, a scenario. Some of it was used in the monograph Outpost 19. I like old RPG's in boxes, so I think it's cool. But yeah not much too it and not for that price. I got WoW for $50 a couple years ago. I think I did get it from Noble Knight, can't remember.

#7 ORtrail

ORtrail

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

I'm interested in the sci-fi aspect of the set, myself. Are there any details what was included for a sci fi campaign? starships? robots? power armour and bolt guns?

The Future World booklet setting mainly used Gates (transporters between planets more-or-less) to move from planet to planet. No stats for starships. Robots were covered well enough that I think they were an option for use as a PC. Various high tech armors and force fields are covered. Lots of weapons divided into broad categories (Projectile/Laser/Blaster/Missle/Grenade/Melee) along with a Force Sword (light sabre).

I would love to see the setting developed more, as it seemed like a combination of Traveller and Fringeworthy. The default character group would probably be a team of ICE (Imperial Corp of Engineers) employees who went through gates to explore new worlds or check on how frontier worlds were doing. Several alien races were also competing for habitable planets.

No way I'd pay over $50 for the WoW boxed set but I'm glad I picked one up back in 1989 for about $20. Chaosium was so, SO close to a universal gaming system back in the early 80's, but never quite pulled it off (beyond the adaptability of the D100 system).

Edited by ORtrail, 21 April 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#8 Conrad

Conrad

Lizard Wizard

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

I would love to see the setting developed more...

Isn't Outpost 19 set in a very similar milieu? http://basicroleplay...ontier-of-Space
http://www.basicrps....quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

#9 Atgxtg

Atgxtg

• Members
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

The free download version of WoW was useful for me because it contained powers and abilities far beyond the page limitations of the Big Gold Book for superheroes. A lot of the Superworld powers made it into the BGB, but not all.

Huh?! What's in the WoW version of Superworld that didn't make it into BGB? The boxed Superworld had tons of stuff that isn't in BRP, but I can't think of anything in the booklet version that didn't get covered.

#10 Conrad

Conrad

Lizard Wizard

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Huh?! What's in the WoW version of Superworld that didn't make it into BGB?

The fact that you get stuff like telepathy as a useable super power in WoW sets it apart from the BGB (which has it in a separate set of powers). Also the disadvantages in the WoW Superworld version yield more points than the BGB ones.

Edited by Conrad, 21 April 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#11 Conrad

Conrad

Lizard Wizard

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

I would like to see Chaosium reissue WoW, with the rules cleaned up a bit, in one book. One that is cheaper than the BGB.

#12 soltakss

soltakss

RQ Fogey

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

I would like to see Chaosium reissue WoW, with the rules cleaned up a bit, in one book. One that is cheaper than the BGB.

Well, they've released Magic World ...

Sorry, couldn't resist it.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.
Many Systems, One Family

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://www.alephtarg...gland&Itemid=57 and http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups....ternateearthrq/ Website: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/

#13 Atgxtg

Atgxtg

• Members
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Well, they've released Magic World ...

;t)

#14 Conrad

Conrad

Lizard Wizard

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Well, they've re-released Elric! mixed with some Runequest and called it Magic World ...

There, fixed it for you Soltakss! ;)

#15 K Peterson

K Peterson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

I saw a copy of Worlds of Wonder listed on eBay 2 weeks ago. Went for $27 - nearly half of which was the shipping charge.

I 'watched' the auction, but never really found the temptation to throw some cash at it.

#16 fmitchell

fmitchell

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Considering that the BGB exists in part to "clean up" rules from previous supplements, you're basically asking for the BGB minus the parts you don't want and at a discount. (Plus superpowers and magic spells that didn't make the original cut, and maybe spaceship rules.) We all wish that, for the BGB and every other multi-genre game. "One custom GURPS, please, in one book." "Oh, hey, do you have something lighter than FATE Core but heavier than FAE?" "I like Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies, but do you have an Old West setting?"

If you want such a book for your gaming group, you have a few not-so-good options:
  • In the old days we bought one book for the entire group and shared it. How this works for campaigns on Skype, Google+, or Roll20
  • These days with the OGL and Open Content you can actually remix rules and release your own house rulebook. Not every game is Open Content, though, including BRP. (Legend and RuneQuest 6 are, though. Retroclone?)
  • For one campaign I created a summary of BRP rules in about 10 pages, but adding a full list of spells, gear, or superpowers might be a bit much.

Now if you mean that Chaosium should print and market a WoW reissue ... well IIRC WoW didn't sell so well the first go-round, whereas Stormbringer sold well by Chaosium standards. Undoubtedly the Moorcock license brought in most of the sales, but I can see where they'd want to sell a trimmed BGB that emulates Stormbringer, not WoW or Superworld.

Edited by fmitchell, 21 April 2014 - 09:12 PM.

Frank
"A hidden corridor! Fortunately it was labeled!" -- Sadie Doyle, "Beyond Belief: Sarcophagus Now", The Thrilling Adventure Hour

#17 SDLeary

SDLeary

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

• These days with the OGL and Open Content you can actually remix rules and release your own house rulebook. Not every game is Open Content, though, including BRP. (Legend and RuneQuest 6 are, though. Retroclone?)

While Legend is open, RQ6 is not, it is traditionally licensed. The other OGL/OpenContent SRDs are for Renaissance, and the d100 SRD.

SDLeary

#18 fmitchell

fmitchell

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

RQ6 [...] is traditionally licensed.

My mistake. But you could still start with any of the SRDs and put together something like the original Basic Roleplaying pamphlet. The tricky part is reproducing superpowers, gear, and spells-as-skills without in any way plagiarizing existing rules.
Frank
"A hidden corridor! Fortunately it was labeled!" -- Sadie Doyle, "Beyond Belief: Sarcophagus Now", The Thrilling Adventure Hour

#19 Matt

Matt

Superworld!

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:16 AM

I'd rather see a straight reissue of Worlds of Wonder, warts and all. The supposedly "cleaned up" and "improved" games lack the zest and personality of the originals.

#20 Nakana

Nakana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

I'd rather see a straight reissue of Worlds of Wonder, warts and all. The supposedly "cleaned up" and "improved" games lack the zest and personality of the originals.

If WoTC can do it with AD&D I don't see why Choasium couldn't do it with WoW.

Or better yet, since the BGB does exist, just release new Superworld, future world books as settings books (we already have the new magic world) but don't make them standalone products.

Simply in depth setting books that require the BGB with a list of which rule system switches to turn on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users