Stupor Mundi RQ6

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pansophy

pansophy

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

I have just seen the new version has been made public.
Since it is now aimed at RQ6, how much work would it be to use it for BRP?
Is the older BRP version sill available somewhere (PDF) ?

--
cheers,

Rob

#2 Baragei

Baragei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

They're kind enough to state that "if you own the the 1st. edition, you might not need this one".
The pagecount is more or less the same, so I assume it's the same book, only with updated stats. The old one was for MRQ, and very BRP-friendly. I don't think this one is any different.

#3 RosenMcStern

RosenMcStern

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

As baragei said. Both versions are compatible with BRP with some adaptations.

The core adventure of the book, however, is also available in PDF with BRP stats. You will find it on DriveThruRPG under the name "Kidnapping in al-Halisa (BRP)". This will remain available as both an example of how to convert everything to BRP and as the source for the full-colour version of the maps and cardboard minis that Dario made for al-Halisa (not included in the Stupor Mundi RQ6 PDF).

#4 Mankcam

Mankcam

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

The original book is about 80% pure narrative content, so it really doesn't make that much difference whatever system you are using. You could still benefit from this book even if you were using a non-BRP system like Rolemaster, for instance. The updated RQ6 book is likely to be in a similar vein with the majority of the book being purely narrative content.

The remaining 20% is game mechanics content, of which I roughly estimate about half being directly compatible with BRP BGB mechanics.
The remaining BRP mechanics that are specific to RQ would only be about 10% of the book I reckon.

Of that you could easily hand wave things like spell names (or find a BRP equivalent, or make up a new spell on the fly), and perhaps some minor things like DEX Ranks versus RQ Strike Ranks for example, things that you could quickly recalculate if need be.

Good setting. Its worth a look if you're considering running a medieval campaign

Edited by Mankcam, 28 April 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#5 pansophy

pansophy

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I'll think about buying it, but at the moment my group is playing "Crusaders of the Amber Coast" - so it will take a bit of time before I really buy it. :)

#6 RosenMcStern

RosenMcStern

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Actually, Crusaders was originally intended as a sequel for Stupor Mundi...

#7 MatteoN

MatteoN

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

Actually, Crusaders was originally intended as a sequel for Stupor Mundi...

Prequels are all the rage these days!

#8 pansophy

pansophy

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

no worries, time-travel is all about fun ... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users