Enlightened Magic

SDLeary

Well, it’s not entirely new - insofar that it’s a distillation of John Snead’s work on the Nephilim game, specifically Liber Ka. That said, it is very much a distillation of the good bits, and more importantly the authentic occult bits that would serve many purposes in different settings. It’s very easy to read and apply, too. 

I'll grab it once it is available at DrivethruRPG. Sounds good. Hopefully I can also get the hard copy from DrivethruRPG as well, or via Amazon. Simply costys too much international postage from Chaosium...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I'd read that where it's a reworking of Liber Ka as well as some unpublished alchemy rules for Nephilim. It seems like a good system for pulling off magic as depicted in 'Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell'... or 'Strange Toys' (though that has a bit of Voudon influence as well).

I'm only a third into it but it's giving me all sorts of ideas... including flavorful bits I'll likely pull into my Magic World games... and easily a magical-espionage variant of Call of Cthulhu that drops all/most of the Mythos and concentrates on competing sorcerers and their retinues.

Just ordered a hard copy of this and Book of Magic from Chaosium. Wish they would include a free PDF when you order hard copy. Hate the wait but couldn't resist the sale.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I've been reading it over the last few months off and on, and really like it. I've an idea for a low-magic fantasy world for MW inspired by Conan, Kane, Thieves' World, and stories of that ilk. I'm strongly considering using Enlightened Magic as the de facto magic system for it.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Cool. I've got the pdf, and ordered the hardcopy thru Chaosium as well.

Its been so long since I ordered any hardcopy from Chaosium as last year their international postage was ridiculous. I'm happy to see that their postage is now comparable to the likes of Amazon and Noble Knight, so that's a big plus. However this limited downloads for pdfs is certainly a minus for me as well, especially since a big player like DrivethruRPG doesn't do that.

Back on topic, this book looks excellent. I'm certainly using this with Call of Cthulhu as a complimentary alternative to Mythos Magic, and I think I would go with something like this if I was playing a low-magic fantasy setting as well. I would have 'Enlightened Magic' for virtuous characters, and have 'Corrupted Magick' for villains, which would be the Mythos Magic from Call of Cthulhu - the two systems can co-exist well in a low-magic fantasy system.

Either way you look at it, this publication has great content, I highly recommend it

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I'd really like to get my hands on this, but I'd rather buy it from DTRPG, where I can re-download it any time I want. Is there any chance it will be available from there?

Its actually more than likely that it will be available from there. Chaosium has been posting a lot of recent and library titles to DriveThru. It might take a few weeks though. Chaosium is only about 5 people at the moment. 

SDLeary

Its actually more than likely that it will be available from there. Chaosium has been posting a lot of recent and library titles to DriveThru. It might take a few weeks though. Chaosium is only about 5 people at the moment. 

SDLeary

I also wonder whether they (Chaosium) will wait until the sell-through physical copies they have before allowing PoD at Drive Thru?

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

This post is mostly speculation based on rumour and things I plucked out of thin air.

Chaosium has always been a small company (five people currently as quoted earlier). In the nineties they produced a CCG that was not a success and cost a huge amount of money that nearly bankrupted them (rumour was a million bucks). They've spent many years paying off that debt and are now in a position with the success of two Kickstarter projects to get new material out the door.

They've brought in at least one new person, Mike Mason, who seems to be moving things along. They seem to have used the roll out of a new web site with a fresh hosting company to move some of their business practices closer to the industry norm. Postage, particularly International postage is now more in line with what other companies charge. Communication has been very bad for some time, they don't favour email often leaving it to rot rather than answering it - probably due to the small  numbers of staff. These staff not only do layout and editing but the wrapping and shipping as well. I suspect that when Gencon rolls around Chaosium staff mostly man the booth rather than the office and longer delays may be the norm.

The move to putting more stuff on-line at DTRPG may be down to the fact that they no longer have to get every penny to pay off that debt and the service charge made by DTRPG could be set off against expanded availability and higher sales. Could be a modern marketing move now they've realised that the 21st century has arrived. POD may be a step too far though. It may come but I'd expect Chaosium to be amongst the last holdouts against that.

The download limit I seem to remember from the old site so I don't think it's something new but like companies putting watermarks and names on a pdf a way they believe will stop illegal downloads (one person buying the pdf and letting their friends download it)  but as we all know it's simplicity itself to pass a pdf around a gaming group without multiple downloads. People tend to not practice safe computing and back up valuable data and expect to be able to re-download material if their hard drive fails.

Nigel

It wouldn't be too hard. You would have to work out what tier the spell is to fit it in the system. The biggest issue is the flavour of magic - no fireballs or whatnot. I could see a version of Wrack however. Many spell effects are already covered actually. The main thing is that this system actually feels like Magic, as opposed to Powers. I would not worry about porting too many spells over, but you can easily make up your own to fit the system, and are encouraged to do so, in order to create unique spells designed specifically for a certain situation.

Its well worth checking out.

I'll have to check if that's there, but if not then that is exactly the kind of spell you could port over. It would obiviously not be Casual Magic, so either Ritual or High Magic would be the niche. The fun would be in designing the trappings, such as the components, auspicious requirements, etc. The good thing as you can have the same spell portrayed quite differently, depending upon the trappings.

It sounds like you know the kind of spells to port over

I figure I will either port over the sorcery spells I have in mind, or I will use the rules as a guide to creating ritualistic sorcery for the legend system. I had some rules for that drawn up under the mrq2 system. They were pretty basic, and not fully fleshed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Any comparison between Enlightened Alchemy and Enlightened Sorcery with the Alchemy and Witchcraft in Renaissance?

I'm still fuzzy on the alchemy rules, but the Enlightened Sorcery and Witchcraft rules while mechanically different, are trying to do the same thing more or less.  A ceremonial magic system where it is more effective to cast magic in a group than on your own.  Enlightened Magic seems to have more bells and whistles associated with it.  There are optional rules for various modifiers to your spells depending on the time of day, month, or season.  The spells are very different, in that they are organized into three circles.  The first circle can be quick cast, these are cantrips and petty spells.  The second circle is more powerful magic, still capable of being cast be a solo practitioner, but ceremonial in nature.  The third circle are mighty spells that require a group of dedicated sorcerers to cast.