What is the difference between Renaissance Deluxe and Clockwork and Chivalry?

p_clapham

A couple off the top of my head:

MRQII uses hit locations, combat actions, and combat maneuvers - much more detailed combat. OpenQuest uses general hit points, and possibly the Major Wound table.

MRQII uses Basic and Advanced Skills, originally provided through occupations and cultural background and then added to with free skill points. OpenQuest has skills broken down into categories, with a specific pool of skill points applied to each category.

• Like 1

Does C&C have any additional rules deluxe Renaissance does not?  Mad science, wondrous devices, that sort of thing?

C&C is a huge setting book, with lots of detail, clockwork and magic, ECW history, random tables, adventures, etc. Renaissance Deluxe is more designed as a tool to be used by GMs wanting to run their own black powder era games - so is a lot more generic and has a lot less setting specific detail.

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

C&C is a huge setting book, with lots of detail, clockwork and magic, ECW history, random tables, adventures, etc. Renaissance Deluxe is more designed as a tool to be used by GMs wanting to run their own black powder era games - so is a lot more generic and has a lot less setting specific detail.

I think Cthulhufnord is specifically inquiring after rules bits in Clockwork & Chivalry that may not be in Renaissance Deluxe.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

I think Cthulhufnord is specifically inquiring after rules bits in Clockwork & Chivalry that may not be in Renaissance Deluxe.

Bingo!  Specifically I'm after gadgeteering/ wondrous devices rules.  Aside from that I am just generally curious what rules/ systems C&C has that DR does not.

The rules for Clockwork Inventions are pretty simple, yet quite good to port over into any setting. They cover designing, construction, and use of wondrous devices and vehicles. I think more could be done with them, but the rules are certainly logical enough to port over anywhere.

I would love to see just a separate Steampunk Invention book to be put out using the Renaissance system which expands on these rules, as well as giving a sizeable compendium of pre-invented devices. Having said that, some of the charm is actually just having mechanics to make whatever you want.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I would love to see just a separate Steampunk Invention book to be put out using the Renaissance system which expands on these rules, as well as giving a sizeable compendium of pre-invented devices. Having said that, some of the charm is actually just having mechanics to make whatever you want.

Me too! I would really want to play Renaissance + steampunk in the Dark Streets setting. I think it would be a perfect match. I don't want my steampunk to be something crazy and overly fantastical, but rather subtle and mixed with horror! So give me some cool steampunk gadgets and I am good to go :)

Me too! I would really want to play Renaissance + steampunk in the Dark Streets setting. I think it would be a perfect match. I don't want my steampunk to be something crazy and overly fantastical, but rather subtle and mixed with horror! So give me some cool steampunk gadgets and I am good to go :)

Maybe you can blend some Unhallowed Metropolis or Kerberos Club into the mix.