The best miniatures

seneschal

I've read discussions here and at other web sites about finding good miniatures for Call of Cthulhu.  However, I think the best ones I've seen were made by my nephew -- who was then around 10 or 11.  He created a monster-themed board game for my son, including oven-bake clay monster figures, board, and rules.  The game itself is lost to my son's childhood carelessness, but I saved (and in one case, repaired) the playing pieces.  They're colorful, weird, and perfectly sized to threaten 25mm adventurers.  What are they?  Who can tell?  Dark things with saber-toothed fangs.  Things with bulging eyes.  Things with beaks and tentacles.  Gloppy things that look as if they just arose from the muck.  The point is, no player seeing them will say, "Oh, yeah. Deep One."  He'll say, "What the heck is THAT?"  Which is, of course, the appropriate response to a CoC monster mini.  :D

Ah, the creativity of kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay.  Still trying to dig that digital camera out of the closet.  Meanwhile, I've been looking at Lovecraftian miniatures by CP Models and Elheim.  The smaller, humanoid figures are nifty, but the larger critters --while interesting -- aren't necessarily any better than something I could make myself from polymer clay.  I can create (I won't claim to "sculpt") an amorphous, blob-like thing with tentacles just fine.  A few of these metal miniatures looked, well, just crude.