Campaign Seed: Randy's Angels

seneschal

"Once upon a time, there were three little girls who went to the police academy.  They are each assigned very hazardous duties, but I took them away from all that and now they work for me.  My name is Randolph Carter."

It's time for investigators to party like its 1976.  Discuss.

While I like the concept, it just doesn't do it for me as a CoC campaign. Unless you take the characters and set-up and port them to the 1920's, or even 1890's.

In fact, I may give that 1890's setting some thought...

I like the concept, and have written them up as CoC characters previously.  I love the concept, and late 70's, early 80's cop/PI shows always make me happy, but I like the idea, especially cameos/crossovers, because what could be cooler than going to Hawaii and doing a Hawaii 5-0 session, meeting up with Magnum PI, heading to San Diego and doing a buddy PI episode with Simon and Simon, not to mention Kojak, Starsky and Hutch, CHiPs, Baretta, Hart to Hart, Remington Steele and Stingray.  For more grit you can have them help out the Equalizer or head to Miami to work with Detectives Sonny Crockett and Rico Tubbs...

I have also done Scooby Doo...

...and yesterday while out running, I was listening to the song "Pepper," and thought that the people in that song would make for a very interesting, if deeply flawed characters. Marky (football player rapist?), Sharon (bi-sexual), Sharice (lesbian), Mikey (facial scar), Bobby (racist), Tommy (pianist, 1 leg, and suicidal) and Paulie (has a limp)...

Marky got with Sharon, Sharon got Sherice
She was sharin' Sharon's outlook on the topic of disease
Mikey had a facial scar, and Bobby was a racist
They were all in love with dyin', they were doin' it in Texas

Tommy played piano like a kid out in the rain
Then he lost his leg in Dallas, he was dancin' with a train
They were all in love with dyin', they were drinking from a fountain
That was pourin' like an avalanche comin' down the mountain

I don't mind the sun sometimes, the images it shows
I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes
Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken lies
You never know just how you look through other people's eyes

Some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche comin' down the mountain

Another Mikey took a knife while arguing in traffic
Flipper died a natural death, he caught a nasty virus
Then there was the ever present football player-rapist
They were all in love with dyin', they were doin' it in Texas

Paulie caught a bullet, but it only hit his leg
Well, it should have been a better shot, and got him in the head
They were all in love with dyin', they were drinkin' from a fountain
That was pourin' like an avalanche comin' down the mountain

-STS

A 1920s iteration would fit the flapper spirit of the era.  An 1890s version would be tougher; the female investigators would have to be absolute chameleons to fit into any social strata.

It pains me to recognize that a 1976 game is, technically, now a historical campaign.  :(

On the other hand, many Innsmouth mutants don't acquire "the look" until middle age.  So it is conceivable that the town could collect a group of girls displaying conventional prettiness if not movie star beauty.  ;)   The trick would be inserting candidates from outside into a local small town event.

Tut, tut.  Despite the jiggle factor and the fact that Angels solve murders and are themselves threatened with death, this is a family show.  They never actually kill anyone since they are such expert marksmen that they can shoot firearms (or in this case, tridents) out of opponents' hands.  Besides, Bosley always manages to come up with something, even if it isn't what was intended.  ;D

But it's your campaign.  Let the consequences of failure be what they will.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Blue Blooded Murder"

So the Angels are hired by Regina Hampden to look into the suicide of her brother, the shipping magnate, Nathaniel Hampden, who leaped into the Atlantic from the deck of  his yacht, The Glorious Courser. Naturally Regina is suspicious of his young, ravishingly beautiful widow, who, thanks to a revised will, now inherits a controlling interest in the company.

Carter senses the slimy tentacles of the Mythos, and he is right. Deidre, the beautiful widow, is a Deep One hybrid, and a sea witch as well. She can project a glamour that makes her nigh irresistible. Furthermore, she can sing a enchanting song that will lure men to a watery doom; which she used to compel Nathaniel to his lethal leap.

The Angel's investigation takes to them the mansion of  Imogene Marston, an ageing socialite and a famed match-maker among the socially elite. She is a cultist, and she is using the exclusive soirees at her house to help Deep One sirens  snare  the unmarried scions of some of  the country's wealthiest and most influential families.

I like it.

NPCs

So, we've got Deidre Hampden, grieving widow (and murderess); Imogene Marston, matchmaker (and accomplice); Regina Hampden, the player-characters' patron; and who else?  How many servants and/or henchmen do Deidre H. and Marston each keep around their respective posh digs?  How many pretty young things tend to hang out at the Marston mansion?  Who associated with either household would likely be a witness or possessor of useful clues to Nathaniel Hampden's untimely death?  Presumably the yacht crew would be first in line for interviews.

Locations/Set Pieces

Imogene Marston's place is likely near a dramatic seaside cliff with paths leading down to the beach and/or boathouse (and with secret panels and tunnels besides).  Think Manderley from Rebecca or Collinwood Mansion from Dark Shadows.

The Hampden estate.  Splendid, not necessarily seaside or near the Marston place.  Has Deidre been installed long enough to make "improvements"?

The yacht club, where the deceased parked his boat and rubbed elbows with the rich, the aristocratic, and the scheming to be rich and/or aristocratic.

The romantic chapel, not necessarily orthodox, when many of Marston's recent lovebirds have gotten married.  A chapel implies a pastor, hence another possible NPC.

Nitpicky Details

Where did Nathaniel Hampden meet Deidre (presumably at a social gathering planned by Marston)?  How long had they been married and what was their relationship?  Was there a difference in their public and private relationship?  Any children from the union?  Was there a big difference in their ages and social status?  What caused Deidre to kill the wealthy, influential front man she'd worked so hard to acquire?  Any alternate attempts to solve the problem, whatever it was?

Other than jealousy, what fuels Regina Hampden's suspicion of her sister-in-law?  Had she seen any changes in her brother's behavior or in his attitude toward his wife?  Noticed anything strange or unusual about Deidre and her friends?  Did anyone else benefit by Nathaniel Hampden's death?  Were there any mundane causes (a business failure, a possible divorce, a scandal, alcohol or drug addiction) that could explain his apparent suicide?

Imogene Marston is a cultist helping Mythos babes snag rich, powerful husbands.  Fine so far.  But is there an overall scheme to all this influence peddling, something it is building up to?  Have any other of the "happy couples" brought together by Marston experienced tragedy, divorce, unusual events, behavior changes, etc.?