Alchemy & Artifice

tooley1chris

My next project is going to be a book detailing rules for alchemy and making magic items. The idea is to add a new occupation, "The Alchemist " (and perhaps "The Tinkerer" ) and set a standard for pricing as far as making items that hold sorcery spells, and the more mundane items made without actual magic but with the magical properties stored within all plants,herbs, minerals,ores, and gemstones.

The old Bards Games "Compleat Alchemist" is the baseline inspiration for this work but I've purchased a couple of complex books on ancient herbal remedies and folk lore alchemy to guide me and add details not previously available.

In the spirit of "Keep It Simple Stupid " I'll include a much easier method of using this work as well, utilizing methods more familiar, from previously published materials.

I've even found a dedicated artist to render some custom illustrations! (won't say who until he says it's okay, but he can chime in or post examples if he likes.)

I've only just begun writing this up and I plan on taking about 2 or 3 months to complete it, but I'm very excited to bring this to your campaigns if you find a need!

• Like 5

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Sounds fantastic and much needed.

I did some work on this a few years ago.  I would just send you the documents for you to take what you want but I don't seem able to find them.

I totally agree with you that simple is best.  At one point I was looking at something that was heavy on time and resource management.  It felt all wrong and overly complex.

If doing it again I would probably look at recipes as spell lists and give them basic requirements.  One thing might need common ingredients and a travel alchemical kit.  Another might require uncommon or exotic ingredients and maybe a full lab.  Another might require a philosopher's stone.  I'd also probably build off of the Potions skill.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you do!

• Like 1

70/420

Also, alchemists aren't necessarily charlatans in floppy pointed hats.  Alchemy gradually morphed into chemistry and was practiced by respectable scientists in the 17th century.  Maybe PCs won't be able to turn lead into gold, but they should be able to invent some crazy but plausible high-tech gadgets with their skills.

I totally agree with you that simple is best.  At one point I was looking at something that was heavy on time and resource management.  It felt all wrong and overly complex.

If doing it again I would probably look at recipes as spell lists and give them basic requirements.  One thing might need common ingredients and a travel alchemical kit.  Another might require uncommon or exotic ingredients and maybe a full lab.  Another might require a philosopher's stone.  I'd also probably build off of the Potions skill.

This is exactly how the "Simple" method will probably work.

I'm listing all of the herbs, minerals,ores, ect for the peeps who want complex and labeling each by rare, common,uncommon so the recipes will be similar to:

1 dram Belladonna

2 drams clear water

1 dram Wolfsbane

---OR---

1 common herb

1 uncommon herb

Water

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

I've been thinking about putting the "Artifice" part of this book on hold. Ben has mentioned a chapter of the Chronicler Companion that discusses what a spell caster might charge for a spell and I'd hate to contradict core material...wish I had a clue about release date though...if it's gonna be a year....more?

For what it's worth, I say just do what you're inspired to do...Chronicler Companion or no CC. You can always adjust later. The creativity must flow!

Long live the fighters!

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Making excellent progress on the Alchemy half of this project! This is much more fun than converting Monsters! LOL

Depends on which order your write them in. After finishing the Chapter on Alchemy in RQ: Classic Fantasy, I couldn't wait to convert some monsters.  ;)

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Done with the alchemy draft. Just waiting on my illustrator for pics!

Then format, clean it up, PDF it, and publish. WooHoo!

Think I'll work on another side-trek mini mod while I wait for artistic representation.

• Like 2

If these free projects help bring even one more player/chronicler in the Magic World fold, then it's worth it. :)

(Especially if it rips them from Wizards D&D black hole)

• Like 1

Well I was ripped from the D&D black hole in part by 4th edition and part CoC, but I'm about to start a new campaign with three people only ever exposed to D&D. Due in part to your works making my GMing job easier and encouraging me to run campaigns, you could chalk up three more converts due to your work. ;)

I tend to prefer the Elric! / Magic World system to RQ6 system so your work always helps me out.

• 1 month later...

Been a Long haul but I'm almost done with the Alchemy/Artifice supplement. Waiting on 2 more pictures from my illustrator and bang!

I did decide to include Enchantment and Artifice as well. Hope it is useful to ya'all.

Will post here when I upload the file. Hopefully just a couple days.