Razili

So I'm trying to set up a BRP game where all the players play kids age 9-15.  It's modern day, normal Earth, no magic, etc. at the start of the game (it gets weird after that).  I know how to have them generate their stats and the number of professional skill points they get for their age, but I need professions they can stick those points into.

I was originally just going to make up a bunch like: Jock, Nerd, Socialite, Boy Scout, etc.  But then I was thinking about just letting them pick 10 skills.  Not all Jocks are alike for example.  ie- The difference between the Quarterback/Leader of the team vs the Track Star who does it just so they can get into college.

What do you guys think?

Do you need professions at all?

Just give them a number of points, a maximum points per skill and let them choose whatever skills they want.

Professions simply guide you into which skills you should have.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Yeah, I kind of agree with just letting them pick their skills, although I would allow things like Native Language (learning grammar is fun), Use Technology (for all the tech kids have), Bluff (kids lie...), Mathematics (STEM careers), Basic Science (of you could make them take Biology, Chemistry and/or Physics), Popular/Geek Culture (because kids care about these things), Play Musical Instrument (band nerds), Athletics (they play a sport), Manipulation (for those kids that can get away with anything), Fashion (for the popular kids), Home Economics (Home Ec), Basic Mechanics (shop class), Intimidate (for the tough guys and girls), Streetwise (for the street rats)...and of course you could justify pretty much any skill depending on background.

I would limit these skills to a max of 40%

-STS

Do you need professions at all?

Just give them a number of points, a maximum points per skill and let them choose whatever skills they want.

Professions simply guide you into which skills you should have.

Yeah, they are just guides which is why BRP has them to begin with.  ;)

I'm considering just giving a higher base bonus to things like Tech: Computer Use since that's become the norm for our age/culture. 

I should also mention that I'm building this for a PbP where I'm not to sure how many of my players will have the rule book or be all that familiar with the system.  That's another reason why professions might be useful to help guide the newbies in making their characters.  ^_^

Depending on how old they are, you might want to reduce their stat scores. 2D6+6 (or 3D6) is okay for 15 year olds, but you might want to subtract 1 point a year if they are younger (i.e, a 9 -year old would roll 2D6 for most stats, maybe 1D6+6 for INT and SIZ.) -or maybe you could just use D4s instead of D6s when rolling up their stats. You could use the aging rules in reverse to increase their stats at the end of each year.  

I agree with the others that  that you don't need professions, but I could see you using some sort of generic "types" that could mimic professions. What you might want to do is limit how many skill points they can put into "non-type" skills, or maybe just give them a flat bonus to the appropriate skills. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

That's where Backgrounds come in.

Someone from the countryside would have a different set of skills to someone from an inner city. 

BRP professions tend to have a set of skills and points to allocate between them, so that allows someone to distinguish between Track Jock, Swim Jock, Linebacker Jock, Quarterback Jock and so on.

It depends on the style of game you want. If you want the modern "High School split into cliques" then go with each clique as a profession. If you want the "New York outsider in the Louisiana Swamp" then use backgrounds. If you want "New York outsider Jock meets Louisiana Swamp Jock" then use backgrounds and professions.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

I tend to agree with just picking skills as fits the character concept. Some other games will use Classes such as Jock, Nerd, etc but this isn't a class-based system so modelling it off that is going down the wrong path.

If you think that the players need some direction, then perhaps you could come up with various Student Backgrounds to replace Professions, but I would keep them broad, perhaps an Scholastic background, a Practical background, a Creative background, and a Technical background. Just assign skills to these backgrounds akin to how Professions are done, and allow room for 'hobby' skills.

But if I were doing it, I would just tell them to think of a concept, and build it from there

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I'm going to go with the standard for reducing stats in that the players get to pick which ones get reduced (SIZ being a big one naturally) so I really don't expect them to reduce INT at all.  :D  But if somone does pick to be the nine year old, that's nine points to reduce off their stats!  Probably will encourage SIZ and STR before spreading the rest of the points out evenly after that.  Unless they want to play the asmatic kid.  ;)

As for skills I've decided that I'm going to have them pick a Personality Type.  They can then choose at least half their "professional" skills from that list and fill it out from there as it would make sense for their character.  Since each one of the personality types has 13 skills that should be plenty for a starting point for them that don't know the system. 

I don't want them to get hung up on needing oodles of combat skills right off the bat, so I might limit them to what their personality type has for professional points.  ie- number 1 (Physical Force and Brawn) has Brawl, Dodge, Grapple, Throw and two combat skills; where as number 4 (Persuading others to do the work) just has one combat skill.  They can learn more as they go in the adventure and there are the personal skill points as well.

Yes, definitely reduce the physical stats

And using the Personality Types from the BGB char gen is probably a good idea. As far as skill points go, perhaps just use those, then give them perhaps 100% for skills gained through their schooling, and another 100% for skills from their hobbies or general upbringing...ok I may be out on those figures but its something along these lines

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Teenagers often have SIZ nearing adults, but reduced DEX and CHA. It might be worth adding characteristic changes as the children get older.

But, it depends on the individuals. A teenage acrobat/gymnast might have increased DEX due to training, rather than the other clumsy teenagers. One trained in debating and oratory might not have reduced CHA, as they have the self-confidence and training to overcome the shyness and awkwardness that many teenagers have.

I have a set of growth charts I use whenever playing kids or teenagers.  At the 50% mark the average height for 15 yr old boys is 66.4 inches.  That's 3 inches shorter the the 50% for 18 yr olds.  For 9 yr olds the 50% is 52 inches.  That translates into a SIZ 6 for the 9 yr old and a SIZ 11 for the 15 yr old.  It's similar for girls.  And that's just going with the 50 percentile of the charts.

So there's plenty of room for differences in SIZ (especially since I'm having them roll their stats).  I just don't want someone being a 6 foot plus 12 yr old.  The premise for the game is that an alien virus is killing adults and near-adults (ie those almost done with puberty).  That's not to say that there aren't some kids out there that are tall for their age, they just aren't going to be "tall, buff, and handsome devils".  Tall, skinny, with acne maybe.  ;)