Cthulhu Invictus Scenarios on Kickstarter

filbanto

Just jumped on at the last minute, this looks pretty good.

I don't actually have the Cthulhu Invictus sourcebook, although I do have Pete Nash's BRP ROME book which I think I can use with this. I have multiple editions of Call of Cthulhu so the two books should cover what I need if I ever want to run these scenarios I think.

Looks like a good little kickstarter project, I'm always on the look out for scenarios to run or to inspire my own home brew plots.

Thanks for the heads up!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Who will check their Latin? 

The authors of Cthulhu Invictus, and particularly Oscar Rios, have been prone to terrible howlers in the language of Cicero and Vergil.

Don't get me started with 'Malum Umbra' and ahem ... 'Extrico Tabula'. When I tried to point it out on fora I got the impression that they did not realize that looking up word by word on the dictionary just doesn't work for Latin.

In contrast the Latin of BRP Rome was impeccable. A real gem of a supplement.

"Malum Umbra" reminds me of a setting for True20 that was called "Lux Aeternum".  :lol:  

I have a friend who is finishing up a degree in classical studies. He points out terrible latin to me whenever it comes up. In D&D 3.5 they released a book of undead-themed campaign options, for players and DMs, called "Libris Mortis - the book of undead". Apparently Libris Mortis translates to nonsense; I think he said it translates to "the book that is dead" or "of dead books" or some other such nonsense; Which is of course rather funny.

Unfortunately,  translators are expensive, but you'd think WotC, especially back in 2005 or 2006, could afford to check the single phrase of latin they printed on the cover of their book.

I have a friend who is finishing up a degree in classical studies. He points out terrible latin to me whenever it comes up. In D&D 3.5 they released a book of undead-themed campaign options, for players and DMs, called "Libris Mortis - the book of undead". Apparently Libris Mortis translates to nonsense; I think he said it translates to "the book that is dead" or "of dead books" or some other such nonsense; Which is of course rather funny.

Unfortunately,  translators are expensive, but you'd think WotC, especially back in 2005 or 2006, could afford to check the single phrase of Latin they printed on the cover of their book.

Well, if you're talking about the physical print version, it is vernacularly the "dead tree" edition.  "Book that is dead" comes close.   ;)

• Like 1

Who will check their Latin? 

The authors of Cthulhu Invictus, and particularly Oscar Rios, have been prone to terrible howlers in the language of Cicero and Vergil.

Don't get me started with 'Malum Umbra' and ahem ... 'Extrico Tabula'. When I tried to point it out on fora I got the impression that they did not realize that looking up word by word on the dictionary just doesn't work for Latin.

In contrast the Latin of BRP Rome was impeccable. A real gem of a supplement.

Actually, the Latin in Cthulhu Invictus was intentionally made to be dog Latin. The game's main inspirations are the pulps, where dog Latin came pretty close to becoming an actual language at some points.  ;)

As somebody who read Latin for grad school, coming up with dogged versions was painful, but fun.

I supposed I should have dropped hints to the tie-ins. But, like they say, if you have to explain it, it's not as clever.  :huh:  Maybe for future CI projects, I'll keep my Latin pure. But, where's the fun in that?  :7

As for Oscar, he's learned his lesson after somebody really savaged him on the yog-sothoth forums. He's retained the services of a classics professor for anything he writes in Latin.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who backed the kickstarter in some way, even if only spreading the word. Everything helped. I've been toying with the idea of turning out some Renaissance-ized Roman material just to get material out there faster. Perhaps one of the missed rewards will end up there.

• Like 1