Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

tooley1chris

I know I said I wasn't posting the Religion in the Southern Reaches book, but I made some alterations to it and like it a bit better. So, I prettied it up and threw it out there. 

This book describes an idea me and Mr Monroe talked about concerning deities in the Southern Reaches. The premise is that the Fey never really retreated from the realm but took on a new role is disguise. That of deities, who once were absentee landlords in the lives of mortals. Through religion and cults they could grow in power through their followers and sew discord between Light, Balance, and Shadow. The alien Fey feed on chaos and, after the mortals of the world banned together against the Fey, the Lord of the Mists came up with a brilliant scheme. 

The book allows Chroniclers to create entire pantheons or single deity for their campaign, showing how their characteristics and other statistics might be represented. This is not a Deities & Demi-Gods conversion.

There is also a section describing a possible new magic system for your campaign. Divine Magic is based loosely on Deep Magic from the excellent book Advanced Sorcery and other Divine Magic mechanics from other systems somewhat compatible with this one. I should point out that while I and my players enjoy variety in magic, the system MW already has in place is perfectly fine as is without this supplement. Sometimes easier is better. :)

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:16 PM, ReignDragonSMH said:

Just started a new Magic world game for peole new to BRP D/100.

I decided on Magic world as the magic system Is simpler then Runequest and the Southern reaches is more familiar to d20 players.

And want to thank you for your hard work that I  now don't have to do

They are fighting the Pulgardi pirates which not much is mention in the write up. so I felt free to do my own thing. At least I don't think there any Official information on the Pulgardi  pirates beside the one sentence in the write p.

I decided the Pulgadi Islands are just south of the map and until recently where inhabited by primitive Orcs who had only dug out canoes and seal skin boats.

But somebody unknown(Fey laughter in the background) taught them to build larger  and faster craft and they been joined by  ocean going scum of other races and have become a major nuisance

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Goblintrain said:

Ok, understood, & i respect your position Chris.  What i was aiming at was more of a Magic World quick-reference for GMs.  Kinda like the old DM screen for AD&D or the nifty Elric! GM screens.  I'm going on 44, and i am just not as quick as i used to be at recalling facts & figures, or memorizing new material.  I am trying to introduce new players to the Chaosium's rpg adaptation of Moorcock's world building via Roll20, but the technology barrier is proving too much!

But really, that is all beside the point.  All i really "need" to start running Stormbringer games is either a Stormbringer 4e or Magic World character sheet in HTML format & my problem is solved!!! :)

Ok. I misunderstood your query. Sorry if I sounded preachy. :)

I'm pretty sure permissions are in place for copying some of the charts for personal use (?) And don't think the numbers can be copyrighted if I/you decided to make our own charts. I've actually contemplated an old school "GM screen" myself recently as, like you, I can't remember everything and find myseld scrolling or flipping pages more than I like as well. ;)

What would you like to see on such a screen? Resistance Tables are kind of a given. Maybe spot rules or page references to spot rules? I can see how a list of spells with costs, ranges, resistance rolls allowed would come in handy but that's a pretty big list and could take a whole screen in itself. I'll think it over as well but...Ideas? 

(PS I'm still SLOWLY working on Tindale and that eats up a lot of free time)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

Well, Mr Tooley, on a practical level i think we should first consider the game format.  While i always try to encourage real life, warm bodied interaction together in the same room at a physical table, the reality for many if not most of us will be settling for playing on a virtual table.  So while the arts & crafts crowd can print up pdf's to assemble a physical "screen" -wow that sounds fun! :)  But, those of us playing on line need a fast, efficient way to reference information easily.

Character Creation Screen: this is crucial because most of the people joining the games will not be coming with the particulars of how to create a character, and since it involves a good investment of time, you need your critical info on hand so that you do not lose them at this stage.  I will never play Role Master again because if for no other reason, it took 8 hours just to fill out the character sheet, and then the campaign sucked anyway to boot!  Part of what made the old Stormbringer so charming was that the charts made it very easy to put together a quirky character quickly.

Magic Reference Screen: this is what i described earlier.  Quick reference for spells & perhaps a one line description stressing the most important details about the magic, like exclusions, exceptions etc.

Combat Screen: this is just simple weapons & armor chart, &...  something else i can't remember right now.  

Art!: don't you miss it?  Sometimes i wan't to print out the old AD&D DM screen art & paste them onto new backings just to enjoy that old artwork again. Somehow, i see a small document like this as a great opportunity to throw in a few inspiring pictures that bring us back to those glossy eyed moments that turned us into RPGers way back in the day! :)  Even when peeps are tabbing through pdfs, i think a few well placed pictures are an important part of that ritual.  For one thing, they help the player remember where they saw a particular piece of info because they associate it with the memory of that picture.

Edited by Goblintrain

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2016 at 11:27 AM, Goblintrain said:

Alrighty then. Still working on Tindale (occasionally) but found a sudden need to update my Feats book. My group is looking to include more of this in the game for better customization of PCs. I like the idea so am putting it on the front burner. Also have a big treasure/magic item book warming up in the oven. I really want to get going on Tindale but am lacking motivation. LOL...It is a big project.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On July 18, 2016 at 10:15 PM, madprofessor said:

Man, I just stumbled across this treasure trove of awesomeness.  Thanks for sharing.  I'll make good use of it.

Chris doesn't do anything half way. Instead he goes all out and his projects are universally excellent (especially his monster manuals). It was his and Ben Monroe's enthusiasm that sold me on Magic World in the first place and I will be forever grateful!

• Like 2

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Unfortunately sometimes I DO do things half way. 

Due to the latest announcement from Chaos team, I'm gonna take a break from MW for awhile. It depresses me that there will no longer be new materials for this system. Yes, like many of you, I saw this coming but held out hope.

Still my favorite system. I'm sure I'll revisit as it sparks my creative juices. :)

http://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5070-chaosium-announces-end-of-magic-world-product-line/?_fromLogin=1#replyForm

10 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Unfortunately sometimes I DO do things half way. 

Due to the latest announcement from Chaos team, I'm gonna take a break from MW for awhile. It depresses me that there will no longer be new materials for this system. Yes, like many of you, I saw this coming but held out hope.

Still my favorite system. I'm sure I'll revisit as it sparks my creative juices. :)

http://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5070-chaosium-announces-end-of-magic-world-product-line/?_fromLogin=1#replyForm

I get the sentiment. Regardless thanks for all of the hard work you put into the various things you produced. You made my life imminently easier as a first time d100 GM.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the kind words guys. My goal of all these little projects was

1. To provide unavailable material

2. Provide for my own campaigns

3. and make the Chroniclers job easier. 

If my labors of love helped make anyones game more enjoyable then I'm one happy guy.

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Chaot said:

I say without reservation that you are an inspiration and your work is a huge addition to the BRP community!

Just made my night. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

OK. I think I posted this elsewhere, but all of my current campaign and A LOT of the custom work I was doing for it was tied around my rendition of The Southern Reaches town of Tindale. I had created a fully 3d map of the town using Neverwinter Nights 2 toolset but I lost a tablet and the work with it. Gone. No dropbox copies, no copies in file section here, nothing on external hard drives...nothing. I'm not even sure how that's possible but...well... here we are.

I've been working to redraw the town as re-creating the entire town based on my previous maps and screen shots would have never made a proper duplicate so.....

I'm redrawing the whole damn thing. This is gonna take quite awhile.

What it will mean is that other works I've published that included Tindale will no longer be accurate depictions of THIS new material. 

On the good side, the more I play with the toolset, the better I get so the new Tindale will hopefully be much better. :)

I've pretty much tapped out on adding new resource to the Magic World system via mechanics so I'm probably going to be increasing my "Side-Treks" or little mini-adventures. (Some of which are in the files section here.)

That being said, if there is a mechanic someone would like to see, I wouldn't mind some inspiration.

Been toying with the idea of making a Druid Handbook ever since I did Religions in the Southern Reaches. I may play with that as well.

I'm honestly not too familiar with Celtic tradition druids so I'll have to do some home work.

My idea was indeed the shape shifting druid, with abilities based on  allegiance to balance.

A lot of the abilities in my Feats book were based on Allegiance Scores, which I really liked. Gave Allegiance a little more meaningful impact on the game besides more POW or earning a plot of land at certain levels of %.

Am interested in what others think would be a good addition tho :)

21 hours ago, Simlasa said:

On the subject of Druids, this blogpost has been one of my favorite bits of inspiration... though it makes them a lot less likely to work as NPCs:

http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2014/09/7-myths-everyone-believes-about-druids.html

Good Read. Thanks

On 9/17/2018 at 5:49 PM, tooley1chris said:

I'm honestly not too familiar with Celtic tradition druids so I'll have to do some home work.

My idea was indeed the shape shifting druid, with abilities based on  allegiance to balance.

A lot of the abilities in my Feats book were based on Allegiance Scores, which I really liked. Gave Allegiance a little more meaningful impact on the game besides more POW or earning a plot of land at certain levels of %.

Am interested in what others think would be a good addition tho :)

Mabinogion, preferably the Patrick Ford version. Fourth Branch should be right up the ally your looking for; Math fab Mathonwy. The stories around Lleu Llaw Gyffes gets you all the Brythonic Celt/Druidic shapeshifting you need. :)

In fact, just read all of it if you haven't. And The Táin if you would like the Irish traditions.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1