Land of Ice and Stone - New Setting

Mongoose_Matt

A brand new setting for the Legend RPG has just been released on Drivethru - Land of Ice and Stone! You can grab your own copy at;

Penned by Simon E. Phipp, Land of Ice and Stone is a setting of long lost pre-history. Deep in our distant past is a culture long forgotten, a culture so remote that all we have to remember it are dry bones, cave paintings and stone tools. However, this is a culture from whence we all sprang.

Play a traveller on a great journey, a wise woman leading her clan,or a bold hunter full of fear at his first mammoth kill.

Using the popular Legend RPG rules, Land of Ice and Stone provides a set of rules, races, cultural backgrounds, professions allowing you to play in the oldest of our cultures – the Old Stone Age.

So, come and face the fierce mammoths, the cave lions, cave bears, the strange red men and the most dangerous foe of all – the Icy Cold.

139266.jpg
  • Like 1

I've been waiting for this to come out, just made my purchase. Tonight i'm going to break out my dvds of Korg 70,000 BC. Just skiming thru this, the Neanderthal skill advancement, the method to show their more instinctive side is interesting. Gonna have to give it a go. (And please support this with more material.)

For those interested in this setting, some good supplements to Land of Ice and Stone are National Geographic issues Jan 1975, November 1985 and Smithsonian October 1986, oh yeah, and GURPS Ice Age. Well, there's alot of stuff but these are rather easy to get and rich with info. (dont forget to watch Quest For Fire too).

• 2 months later...

As long as it steers clear of the Jean M. Auel kind of drivel this might be neat.

Jean M. Auel is obviously one of the sources, as the Earth's Children series is very atmospheric.

However, the Land of Ice and Stone differs in many respects from the Earth's Children.

Which "drivel" did you mean, specifically?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Jean M. Auel is obviously one of the sources, as the Earth's Children series is very atmospheric.

However, the Land of Ice and Stone differs in many respects from the Earth's Children.

Which "drivel" did you mean, specifically?

AFAIK research and anthropological speculation for the books were thorough, so there's no reason not to use them as sources of information or ideas. The frequent scenes of makin' whoopee and looking for herbs get tedious, though.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

All this talk got me jonesin' for some Pleistocene love. I'm sure everyone has seen Quest for Fire. If you havne seen 'Ao The Last Neanderthal', give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0P0vsWAXtg .

There are some historical liberties taken and a few scenes a little hard to believe, but overall it's entertaining and worth watching. There's some good story ideas to harvest.

• Like 1

AFAIK research and anthropological speculation for the books were thorough, so there's no reason not to use them as sources of information or ideas. The frequent scenes of makin' whoopee and looking for herbs get tedious, though.

Land of Ice and Stone has herbs, but not in anywhere near as much detail as Earth's Children, I assume that people of the Old Stone Age made whoopee, especially in the long, cold nights stuck in a cave with not much to do, but Land of Ice and Stone covers it as part of Culture and Society, in particular explaining the differences in approach between the Red Men and the Long Men/Short Men, but no frequent scenes.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

How is this related to this topic or printing schedule?

So again, will we see the print edition soon? Month or two more?

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk got me jonesin' for some Pleistocene love. I'm sure everyone has seen Quest for Fire. If you havne seen 'Ao The Last Neanderthal', give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0P0vsWAXtg .

There are some historical liberties taken and a few scenes a little hard to believe, but overall it's entertaining and worth watching. There's some good story ideas to harvest.

That link seems to be down, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxWYDcJFgQ&list=PLI7_gY0sQ_H6Zk-mluOiVAhnEDOeTo1q1 seems to work. I have just watched it and it would fit Land of Ice and Stone very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Now for some Pleistocene music for your dining on giant sloth bone marrow pleasure. Ladies and gentleman, Korg and his cave bear femur flute, take away Korg.

(make sure to scroll down and hit play on the link to listen to the music)

http://www.snipview.com/q/Divje_Babe_flute

This is just good meat and potatoes for anyone in the land of ice and stone.

Well, that probably answers the question of whether it was a flute! I preferred the first music to the playing of modern tunes, but it shows that flute/whistle music has not essentially changed for a very long time.

Thanks for the link - keep them coming!