Putting together a Magic World sandbox

Chaot

I think I'll use this thread as a brainstorming/prep work area.

The start date is not set yet.  I'm finishing up a masters and have too many job obligations right not to make time for gaming.  I expect the game to be rolling March/April.  This leaves plenty of time to fiddle with stuff.

Player's resources.  Magic World, Authentic Sorcery and Enlightened Magic.  They can also use parts of The Green, Dragon Lines and Lords of Tarsa (it feels like I had one more in here, but I'm coming up blank).  I'm likely to substitute out the magic systems present in The Green and Lords of Tarsa for ones present in MW, AS and EM.  If tooley1chris' book comes out between now and then, enchantments and alchemy will go in.

I have a couple of other homebrewed cultures the players can choose from.  They can also come up with their own nations.  Things will be left loose on purpose.  I want to let players have as much input as they feel comfortable with and have a host of options available if they just want to pick something.

In prep, I want to go through the items and prepare quick blurbs for the players.  They can choose from the blurbs and dig deeper if they wish.  I'm also going to prep magic system cheat sheets.  The magic cheat sheets are something I've wanted to do for a while anyway.

Play will take place on the boarders of a devastated empire.  Once thriving, it fell to calamitous magic, an incursion of demons and it's shadows are haunted by passages to the fae.  It is now populated by survivors, opportunists, criminals, petty warlords and wizards gone rogue from the mage's guild.

This will be the first time in ten years (I think) in which I haven't run a human-centric game.  All cultures are on the table here.  Player's will be encouraged to come up with additional background information.

So what's the point of this thread?

It's for me to brainstorm and for anyone else to throw out ideas as they occur to them.  I'll be posting stuff here as I go.  Probably not really heavy systems stuff like the magic cheat sheets, but supplementary stuff I come up with will likely land here.

70/420

This sounds like a fun project! My Alchemy and Artifice book will be getting finished up and posted in a day or so. I'm holding off for my illustrator to give me one more pic...Which has been good because every time I re-read it I find something I want to change so...

Anyway, a fantasy post apocalyptic setting sounds like just what the doctor ordered! I'd love to be involved if you'll have me.

Been itching to give Deep Magic a try, but perhaps I'll try an Alchemist if you find my material meets your standards/expectations.

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

• 7 months later...

I started this, had a few players over this weekend.  I threw out my preplanning and had the players randomly roll 4 creatures with their professions.  The player choose one to play as a main character and one as an ally, the remaining two were enemies.  The players made sense of the rolls, creating a light backstory on how their ally and enemies fit in together.

In the process we created a city-state, located on a coast and a hub of trade.  The city-state of Erk has recently been conquered and occupied by serpent-people.  Things are looking gloomy for the inhabitants even though the population for the most part are trying to proceed with business as usual.  There is a religious purge going on and outsiders are starting to plot different trade routes.  There are dissident kobolds on the outskirts of the city who are actively working to overthrow the serpent-people.  Sadly, their approach includes indiscriminate attacks and so they have not been able to win over the affection of the Erkians.

As I said above, most of my games are heavily human centric.  This one is decidedly not.  In fact, I made it unlikely that a player would roll up a human.  We have a two city dwellers and a wilderness type.  The wild guy is an ogre who hunts in the areas outside of the city-state.  Our other to players are a goblin (think Labrynth) who works as an exchequer accountant, the other a lamia doctor.  This session saw the creation of 3 PCs and 9 NPCs.  In addition, I quietly rolled up 4 characters as well, so I guess it really makes it 13 NPCs.

I chalk it up as a success and am looking forward to how it shapes up.

70/420