AEther

Trifletraxor

"Æther is a rare combination of things. It is a system that emphasizes it’s universal nature without being boring and generic. It focuses on skill-driven characters and role-playing and team building instead of number crunching and charging blindly forward. Character creation is incredibly robust, but at the same time, it is startlingly simple. In a nut shell, the system is quick to learn, easy to teach, and your imagination is the limit to what you can do with the system."

Reminds me of another RPG... :)

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

I have it, though I haven't played it.  It's a pretty decent system - attributes and skills, roll high percentile (add relevant skill mod to d100 roll, beat a target number).  It's geared toward modern (and even includes a modern noir setting, Wellstone City, which I like quite a bit), but easy enough to hack.  I think there is a supplement in the works for various magic / power systems, but I haven't heard about progress in a while.

If it has a 'roll D100+Skill and beat target number' core skill mechanic, then it probably plays much closer to an ICE game (Rolemaster, Spacemaster, HARP etc) rather than to a BRP game. 

It does look really cool, but its not all that relevant to BRP.

Eclipse Phase would be a much closer rpg due to its similarity with core percentile mechanics, as is Barebones Fantasy or even Warhammer.

This game is probably only hackable in setting content, rather than system compatibility.

Not to say that it shouldn't be hacked however  ;t)

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I've only run the Savage Worlds version of Wellstone City, but having said that, it's basically real-world current day modern tech.  Mostly, the setting is just "fluff," in the good sense - background ideas, descriptions of the boroughs, etc.  The only crunch I recall was some new ammo types, and then a variety of NPCs.  Honestly, you could buy either the Aether or SW version and get lots of great ideas that could pretty much be run right out of the BGB.