Level of success table for non-combat skills

p_clapham

One of the things that Legend seems to be lacking, is success table for non-combat skills.  This is the breakdown I have so far.

First off is the skill opposed or not?  A opposed skill should have a more specific table.  I'd then divide the skills into three basic categories: Physical, Social, and Mental.  So combined with the opposed or unopposed skill roll, we'd have six tables total?  Is that too much, or should we have more skill categories?  I could see a decent argument for a craft skill table.

Instead of multiple tables,how about ONE table, with a description of results/perks gained from the level of success?

For instance, things like the time taken up by the skill attempt, amount of information gleaned, complementary bonuses (things like a intimate bonus, or morale bonus), value/HP/AP/damage of produced items, could all beperks that are affected by the success level. 

Basically you are just reusing the attack-parry matrix, and just changing the results. So if you made the table generic,  and listed generic results you could keep it easy to use and GM off the cuff. Then, if you wanted too, you could provide some sample activities and appropriate perks for them. That would also make it easier to expand this latter on in order to cover some other field of activity. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'd like to keep it to fewer tables idealy.  I am pretty much trying to mimic the combat maneuvers table for non-combat skills.  There are thirty possible results on the combat maneuvers table, including the defensive maneuvers.  I don't think we'll need that many.  How about one table with three sections, one for offensive maneuvers, one for defensive, and one for unopposed maneuvers?  Or are offensive maneuvers close enough to unopposed to make the distinction irrelevant.  With a "offensive" or "unopposed" skill roll you are trying to do something, as opposed to a "defensive" skill roll in which you are trying to prevent something from happening.  Or am I oversimplifying things?    

i think offensive and unopposed  maneuvers would be the same, only unopposed maneuvers would tend to be more successful since they are  unopposed.

I could see some defensive skill rolls trying to make something happen. For instance, in fencing, an actual parry is supposed to  not only deflect the attack, but to knock the attacker's blade out of line.

I'm trying to come up with a decent way of organizing all of this. How about we roll offensive and unopposed skills into the ACTIVE skills catagory, and defensive skills into the REFLEXIVE skills category. It's simplifying things a bit, but it will let us copy the combat matrix and maneuver system more easily. I think that version works a bit better with your parry example.

• Like 1

I'm working on some generic skill maneuvers for the table, real basic stuff for right now.  I'd love some suggestions!

Sample Maneuvers

Skill takes 50% less time than normal
This encompases any skill that requires an amount of time longer than a combat action.  Although I suppose if you get this result on a one combat action skill you could consider having used that skill as a free action.  The maneuver could be used for searching a room, crafting a item, doing research, or trying to hunt someone or something down.

Skill requires 50% less resources than normal
This encompases any skill in which you need to expend resources of some kind in it's use.  This could be used when giving someone a bribe, crafting a item, or cooking a meal.  

Opposing Skill takes 50% more time than normal
This encompases any skill where you are opposed by another skill that requires time to use.  For example you could be opposing someone's Perception with your Stealth, with this result you make them waste 50% more time in searching for you.   

Opposing Skill takes 50% more resources than normal
This encompases any skill where you are opposed by another skill that requires resources to use.  Two people are attempting to bribe the same official.  You succeed and with this result not only is the official in your pocket, but your opponent has wasted 50% money then he intended in the bribe.

What might help is to tie the time take to the success level, roughly like so:

Critical: 1/4 time

Special Success: 1/2 time

Success: Normal time

--------------------------------

You could make this a matrix by shifting the results up or down based on the opposing side's SL.

For example

Critical: 1/4 time

Special Success: 1/2 time

Success: Normal  (1x) time

Failure: 1.5 time

Fumble: 2 time

For example, lets say two characters are playing a game of chess. The first character rolls a critical success, while the second rolls a special success. The first character wins easily, in only half the normal time (1/4 for a crit, bumped down to 1/2 for the resisting character's special success). . 

I'm thinking about scrapping the chart altogether now and just come up with a couple of effects for each skill.  I'm thinking they would be available on a critical success, and if it were a opposed role it could come up if the opposing roll had a failure or worse.  Here's one I came up with for Persistence.

Indomitable - The character automatically succeeds at all persistent rolls against the opposing character for the remainder of the scene.  The only way the opposing character can beat the Indomitable character's Persistence skill is if he rolls a critical success.

I like the concept, but OI don;t like anything that works for the rest of the scene like that. Basically it "shuts down" and opponent's skill.  How about if the opposing character beats the indomitable character with his dice roll,  it gets stopped, but knocks down the "indomitable" effect.

Another possiblity, might be to come up with a genric bonus that could be applied to all skills- so you would;t need to list an effect for every skill. For instance, if a character could earn a "bump" that would upgrade his next roll of that skill, it could be a effect that could be applied to any skill. .