Chronicles of Furure earth ?

Agentorange

So....what happened ?

It was released amidst much fanfare, got favourable reviews. Sarah posted here hinting at a plethora of follow up supplements ( indeed she said some  were actually being worked on. ) Then ....silence, a long a stubborn silence, Sarah disappears and now out of the blue it's being re released for Runequest via the design mechanism. 

Anybody got the inside scoop ?

Hmmm...interesting question.

I dunno of any "inside scoop", but if I were to speculate...and that's all it would be: pure unadulterated speculation...it seems to me that there's a steady forward movement over at Design Mechanism focused solely on the (BRP rooted) RQ6--remarkably steady for a company that is essentially two guys...two very dedicated, savvy and talented guys--that is lacking in another small-company-with-limited-resources that will remain nameless. If I were a published author (and I'm not, so I'm totally talking out of my ass at the moment--feel free to take pot-shots), I know which company I'd offer my goodies to.

I'm just sayin'  ;)

Cheers! 

• Like 2

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

that is lacking in another small-company-with-limited-resources that will remain nameless.

Giving their well-deserved credit to Peter and Loz - here and elsewhere - can be done without contextual references to (supposed) failings on the part of Chaosium. Chaosium has other problems in addition to lack of resources, we all know this, and surely there are many things that have a high priority in Charlie's heart whereas said priority is not supported by adequate funding in his wallet. This means that there are times they cannot focus on other things than CoC 7 because it is quite clear which product is gonna keep the aforementioned wallet in supply.

I will now disclose a fact not widely known. Recently Dustin sent to me a guy with an interesting idea for a d100 product - and a lot of enthusiasm to support it. Apparently Chaosium is re-routing new submissions to Alephtar and others to ensure they have a chance to be published. It is not surprising for me that Sarah and Rodney have chosen to move to RuneQuest to further their lines of third party d100 supplements in an adequate way. I guess that even Chaosium is not so sad about the subject, given that they are perfecty aware that they cannot offer the support said supplements deserve.

So yes, a lot of stuff is gonna be translated from BRP to RuneQuest. I see this as good news. But reading comments about Chaosium's lack of dedications saddens me quite a lot. Keeping the company alive after Greg left was an act of extreme courage, they deserve nothing but our support.

• Like 4

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

But reading comments about Chaosium's lack of dedications saddens me quite a lot. Keeping the company alive after Greg left was an act of extreme courage, they deserve nothing but our support.

While I absolutely do admire their courage and with full heart offer them an enthusiastic round of applause as well as continued support from my wallet (as I have for over 30 years), I will not pretend, as many do, that the company is some sort of a sacred cow, that their business sense doesn't leave something to be desired or that their customer service couldn't improve. I'm sorry my words sadden you Rosen, I truly am, but on this we'll agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

I'm glad to see CoFE getting the amount of pages it deserves. RQ6 is the rising star of BRP with some quality publications. I hope that CoFE goes from strength to strength with a company that can support it and that it eventually becomes a much loved classic setting like Glorantha is.

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

I like the cover a lot. I can see a Virikki psionicist, a priest of Unthar the timekeeper (?) and a paladin of Regos, perhaps. There are some dragonel cannons, in the background on the top of the city wall too, which is cool. But what is the multiarmed creature with the sharp teeth and reddish colouration in front of and to the left of the three figures? Is it a Hsuntach?

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

I would think they would rely on KickStarter to fund more products.  They did for the new Horror on the Orient Express and that has to be a great feeling to have the money upfront while doing a product. 

Absolutely

The first kickstart RPG project I can remember was HeroWars (with the opportunity to be an Initiate, an Acolyte, etc) being advertised in TOTRM

So it has a fine tradition in the family of Glorantha/d100 (yes I know that HW and HQ use a d20 but my meaning is I think obvious)

I cannot see why one would fund such a niche product in any other way (not only is the money up front but an involved market has been created and the publisher will have a much better idea of likely market size than with other methods)

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire