the perennial "Glorantha wtf ??!? HELP!!!" query...

g33k

I'm sure many of you -- maybe even most -- have (like me) seen repeated queries that are some variant of "so, what the !&?^%# is this thing called Glorantha, and how can I get a handle on it... hopefully, without investing the next seven years of my life, and hundreds of dollars..."

Sometimes the query features some particularly-notable feature, e.g. RQ-vs-HQ (and soon, I guess, 13th Age?) or Broo's, or Ducks...

Whatever forum/list/etc it gets posted on, there usually follows a fairly predictable set of answers.  There are some inarticulate but well-meaning folk, some detractors, some reasonably well-spoken proponents.  Eventually -- after pages and pages (and pages and pages) of replies, one can get a sense of the thing... sort of.  And really, only a very vague sense; and if the OP was unlucky, one of the inarticulate ones, or unreasonable detractors, or just a random troll (of the non-Uz variety) has managed to render the entire thread useless...

Now that we have the "Guide to Glorantha," I suppose that can serve as a definitive point of reference... but doesn't really help folks posting something within the original constraints.

I usually try to chime in with some pointers to good fiction & other resource sites (including BRPCentral).

But really, it seems like there should be -- likely here -- a clear and concise reply (or maybe a small suite of replies) that could handle 90% of the various OPs and their not-so-varied wants.

Does something like this exist ... ?

Thanks!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Here is a link to overall description of Glorantha

http://www.glorantha.com/glorantha/

..and here to some of its cultures

read any two "what my father told me" to get some understanding on the cultures. There more than likely is something there that can be enough for the campaigns.

http://www.glorantha.com/docs/heroquest-voices/

@hkokko - Thanks!  I'm not really asking for advice about "how to get into Glorantha" -- I got introduced to in back in 1980 -- but about "how to help others, who want to get into Glorantha".  That is, a reference document (or small set of them) that can get pointed-to as a quick overview/entre.  Your links are really quite good; in fact, the "Another View" one is actually rather close to what I had in mind!  As noted in that essay (and my original post), this question really keeps coming up over and over in general-gaming environments... occasionally even RQ/Glorantha/HQ places!  I'm wanting n00b-support for individual campaigns / individual players who are just getting started... or or who WANT to get started, but can't find their way in...

I'm also wanting some vaguely official-seeming place (such as the "Glorantha" board at BRP Central ;-) that can host such a document as a standalone item.  "Glorantha.com" would seem like another likely spot, but I'm a bit leery of any site with a commercial interest:  the possibility of the "Glorantha" IP being sold, or a falling-out amongst site-owners (with copyright being contested, tied-up in court), etc... all these could render it unavailable.  The Wikipedia entry on Glorantha seems very good in this respect (as it's (presumably) 100% CreativeCommons licensed); unfortunately, Wikipedia discourages "fan enthusiasm" and encourages NPOV... the entry is stunningly dry/boring, if you know Glorantha at all!  ;-)   So I don't like to point n00bs there...  But, the "reputation" or "appearance" of the hosting site (that it at least APPEAR "authoritative" or "official") can sometimes be as important as the content being presented.

@Vile - yeeeeah.  Right.  Thanks for those suggestions.  Glorantha-n00bs everywhere have been sorted now...   BTW, I see on Amazon that a new copy of "The Collected Griselda" (the only new copy available) is being sold for over $500.

- Steve, the g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Or you could look here:

http://www.griselda.org.uk/main.html

And note that the Complete Griselda IS still available, in PDF, here:

http://www.glorantha.com/product/the-complete-griselda/

Cheers,

Nick

I knew about "griselda.org.uk" -- it's one of the places for Glorantha fiction that I like to point people to, who ask versions of the "Glorantha:  WTF?!?" query!  Didn't know of the PDF, though... thank you!

C'es ne pas un .sig

I'm sure many of you -- maybe even most -- have (like me) seen repeated queries that are some variant of "so, what the !&?^%# is this thing called Glorantha, and how can I get a handle on it... hopefully, without investing the next seven years of my life, and hundreds of dollars..."

Sometimes the query features some particularly-notable feature, e.g. RQ-vs-HQ (and soon, I guess, 13th Age?) or Broo's, or Ducks...

Whatever forum/list/etc it gets posted on, there usually follows a fairly predictable set of answers.  There are some inarticulate but well-meaning folk, some detractors, some reasonably well-spoken proponents.  Eventually -- after pages and pages (and pages and pages) of replies, one can get a sense of the thing... sort of.  And really, only a very vague sense; and if the OP was unlucky, one of the inarticulate ones, or unreasonable detractors, or just a random troll (of the non-Uz variety) has managed to render the entire thread useless...

You must be visiting different forums to me. Most of the Glorantha threads that I have seen have been quite helpful.

They only get deep and confusing when discussing contentious issues.

The Guide to Glorantha is a good start, of course. However, there are some areas where it contradicts earlier material and some people would want to question/discuss that.

Generally, the Sartar/Sartar companion are also good places to start. The Pavis Book is good for Pavis. The older Praxian material is also good, but that might be contradicted by newer supplements.

Probably not.

It depends on the type of query. 

Would you have a FAQ that covers rules issues? If so, it has to cover RQ/HQ/3rd Age.

Should the FAQ cover non-rules issues? If so, that covers a huge area.

Pinning the questions down to the 90% of OP Queries would be a really difficult job.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here