Cryptids?

jaysun

Not specifically. I was merely curious. I know that "officially" the Sasquatch has stats. I just didn't know if others had been done.

"It's taken me all these years to realize that the Laws of Time are mine, and they will obey me!" - the Doctor

Call of Cthulhu 6th has stats for a Bunyip.  The Big Gold Book has stats for Alien Greys.

Chupacabras (and a couple creatures from American tall tales) here:

Yeti write-up here:

Mothman is here:

Loveland Frog here:

Depending on your concept of her, you could use standard fantasy sea serpent stats for Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster, or similar northern lake creatures.  On the other hand, such creatures are sometimes described as similar to plesiosaurs or giant turtles.  The BASIC Bestiary has stats for plesiosaurs, brontosuars and kraken (giant octopus).  The brontosaur stats might be scaled down for Mokele-Mbembe, a dwarf saurian supposedly living in the Congo.

Many cryptids are misplaced species of dog/wolf, large cat, or primate supposedly existing where they shouldn't.  For these, you could use regular animal stats.  Some are super-sized snakes or lizards, or dinosaur survivors.  The BASIC Bestiary has some dino stats.  Others are extra small or extra large humanoids; you could use standard fantasy stats and dress 'em up as appropriate for your cryptid campaign.

The definition blurs between cryptids and some fantasy creatures (e.g., mermaids, sea bishops).  You'll have to decide where to draw the line between creatures of folklore and modern cryptids for your campaign.  Still, an all-cryptid game sans fantasy critters and Mythos monsters could be interesting.

FYI, the giant shark stats in the BGB (aka Jaws) would be appropriate for juvenile specimens of Megalodon.  Yeah, we gotta get a bigger boat!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well the original core book has had werewolves & vampires plus the Halloween PDFs & Blood Brothers I/II. Also if you are looking for other fun things to throw at people there's Bumps in the Night by Pagan Publishing (mostly Delta Green lately but they did a bunch of other Call of Cthulhu books). Bumps in the Night looked at a lot of non-mythos follklore & other horrors to throw at some players & offers a lot of variety in where the scenarios are set.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15782.phtml

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kafka said:

Most of my adventures do involve Cryptids of some sort...however the backstory is that these were entities that were touched by the Mythos in some way.

That's cool.

"It's taken me all these years to realize that the Laws of Time are mine, and they will obey me!" - the Doctor

Cryptids of all kinds are scattered through various CoC books.

Cubicle 7's Folklore has a lot of creatures from British legend, including a few that might be counted as Cryptids

Sasquatches/Big Feet are frequently equated with the Voormis (such as in Trail of Tsathoggua or The Dig); they appear in the Malleus Monstrorum.

The Loch Ness monster (and other lake monsters/sea serpents) are typically explained as Lloigor (such as The Mystery of Loch Fenn)

Grey Aliens show up in Delta Green, with a Mythos explanation. ditto the Men in Black. 

Black Eyed Children were in the most recent issue of the Unspeakable Oath.

Shoggoth.net has covered a lot of lesser-known ones in their annual Octobernomicon monster series. 

Tales of the Crescent City, I think, had stats for the Grunch, I think.

I'm sure there are more, but I think that's a good start.

• 6 months later...

The chupacabra is just the interbreeding of a Cat and a Bat because they have the same number of chromosomes.  It was an early genetic black project in Puerto Rico due to less stringent laws in the protectorate.

The Owlman is actually also the Mothman, and is a time displacing ghost.

The Sasquatch are Hyperborean voormis.

The Men in Black are either the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign fresh outa Kn'yan or Opus Dei feeling threatened by flying saucers.

The Loveland frog is a Deep One.