BRP like Dungeon World

maxtillberg

I love BRP, especially the first edition of Magic World. The last year I have tried to play Dungeon World but I don't find it very inspiring. I now wonder if someone have tried to combine the two. What I am looking for is a game with less rules than BRP and more focus on story telling elements. Any suggestions?

You can fit BRP's core rules on two pages. In fact, there is a sheet in the downloads-section here. It's tough to get much lighter than that.

And storytelling has always been a feature of BRP as players tend to get creative in order to either roll the dice or stack up on every inconceivable reason in order to not roll them - it's been the base of Call of Cthulhu for close to four decades! RuneQuest has encouraged player narrative in worldbuilding, if not gameplay, since Chaosium was founded. 

To top it off, the BGB comes with its fairly versatile fatepoints-option. 

You can easily run a *W-like scenario with BRP. The only difference would be that you'd be using a more versatile ruleset that encourages freewheeling storytelling instead of forcing it.

With the exception of Apocalypse World, I'm not a fan of the series - which perhaps my reply demonstrates. I still think your post is a bit on the weird side..

nclarke's suggestion of FAE as an alternative to both is decent. FUDGE, Risus, Dying Earth and HeroQuest might also be options.

Baseline BRP would make a good foundation for a game that works off similar principles to the *World Games.

How I'd approach things is that have PCs be mostly just characteristics rolls on the d100 scale, with test results being broken down into which Moves would apply should the PC fail.

Damage rolls pretty much would work like they do in both DW and BRP: Roll damage, subtract armour, take off hit points.

All you'd really need to do is work ou playbook-style professions for PCs, to determine what moves/powers they have. You could probably use BRP monster stats as-is, only using what you need.

BRP's flexibility with regard to tinkering is one of the game's greatest assets.

• 2 weeks later...

Classic fantasy looks really interesting. Not sure how I could miss that. Anyway, I read that it should be a second edition with monsters and stuff. Is that canceled now since it will be released for RQ6?

A few more questions, is this book illustrated and does it use hit locations?

/Max

threedeesix would be the man to ask, but I'll go out on a limb and say that you probably won't see a 2nd.edition of BRP Classic Fantasy.

What you have is basicly a "Player's Handbook" in BRP-format. Still impressive, though - it does a lot of clever things with the classic D&D-tropes.

The book is illustrated only in the widest sense possible, and it uses hit locations in combination with heroic hitpoints.

• Like 1

Classic fantasy looks really interesting. Not sure how I could miss that. Anyway, I read that it should be a second edition with monsters and stuff. Is that canceled now since it will be released for RQ6?

A few more questions, is this book illustrated and does it use hit locations?

/Max

There will not be a volume 2 for BRP Classic Fantasy.

Classic Fantasy 1 served as a player's handbook and in that it is more than complete, including character classes done up as BRP professions and well over a hundred classic spells. While it was intended to be followed up with a companion volume when I wrote it, alas, that was not to be. However, considering that there are many fantastic BRP products and derivatives that are loaded with fantasy monsters and magic items, I wouldn't let that in and of itself stop you from checking it out.

Or better yet, wait for the RuneQuest 6 version, which has everything the BRP version did, however in RQ mechanics, plus everything that was previously intended for the Game Master book and then some.

For those not familiar with the most excellent RQ6 rules, pop on over to The Design Mechanism's website and download RuneQuest Essentials. You cannot beat the price!!!! :D

http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/downloads.php

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"