Luther Arkwright Preview

lawrence.whitaker

Luther Arkwright: Roleplaying Across the Parallels is almost ready for production. We're delighted to offer you a sneak preview of the book - click on the PDF link (http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/resources/Luther%20Arkwright%20Preview.pdf) to be whisked across the multiverse. 

For many, Luther Arkwright needs little introduction, but for those unacquainted with him, Arkwright is the creation of writer and artist Bryan Talbot, and features in two sets of celebrated graphic novels. He is a multiverse-hopping psionic agent, battling the sinister Disruptors, and his adventures focus on an alternate Britain where Cromwell's descendants hold the country in the grip of tyranny while various imperial powers gather to challenge them.

In this RuneQuest supplement, players take on the role of Valhalla agents like Arkwright. Each character has at least one special power, and these are many and varied. But there's a downside: characters are also subject to certain dependencies, and may even be bordering on madness. The game includes many new rules for special traits, dependencies, psionics, sanity and even creating new parallel dimensions. The preview offers a taster of what the full book includes, and it really is a must-have for fans of Arkwright, Science Fiction, parallel worlds and, of course, RuneQuest 6.

Luther Arkwright: Roleplaying Across the Parallels is a 184 page hardcover supplement, lavishly illustrated with artwork from the graphic novels, provided by Bryan Talbot.

• Like 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I have a Luther Arkwright graphic novel; its a pretty intense read and a pretty complex setting to attempt to translate into a roleplaying setting. Yet that probably was the opinion at the time when Chaosium first attempted to bring The Young Kingdoms setting to rpgs.

Wow ! - From what I have seen in the preview it is hard not to be impressed.

The inclusion of Traits, Dependencies, and Tenacity are welcome additions to the RuneQuest rules, not to mention the Psionics, Technology, and other rules of relevance to Science Fiction.

From a setting point of view, the content looks quite intriguing and very unique.

This is a big deviation from the ancient setting portrayed in the RQ6 rulebook, but would certainly promote some memorable games.

This looks like a great release

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I've been looking forward to this since I first heard it announced a while back.

I read the comics years ago and tracked down earlier attempts at translating the series to an RPG. This looks like it will be quite glorious in scope and possibility for expansion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vile Traveller

The inclusion of Traits, Dependencies, and Tenacity are welcome additions to the RuneQuest rules, not to mention the Psionics, Technology, and other rules of relevance to Science Fiction.

These are nice. You know, this makes an RQ cyberpunk game much less work.

• 2 months later...

I've had it for a week now, and I'm already planning on using the starship elements in this weeks game. It Is Awesome! haven't read the setting stuff yet, never even heard of it til now. But it looks fantastic. Great book, awesome art, very interesting premise. ;)

• Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller

I'm still working through the details, but it continues to impress me more and more with every page. I have to get my group to play this ...

I took the advantage of this weekend's Lulu code GWW25 to order a couple of copies of RQ6 Essentials for the table (get 'em while you can!).

Edited by Vile

• 5 years later...
On 3/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, lawrence.whitaker said:

Huh.
I note you don't cite TDM's own website!

?:-/

Color me confused...  You guys have a direct-order webstore; do you prefer customers buy through a 3rd-party site?   (e.g. I know from private correspondence that one small publisher actually DID prefer to sell via resellers -- they ran their own warehouse/shipping ops, and had realized that they spent more on fulfilling individual orders than they made up by keeping the full retail vs. wholesale cost; and another retailer explicitly prefers (sees more profit from) direct-sales rather than 3rd-party retailers... so I figure I should be asking YOU guys what YOU prefer).

Or did you perform some arcane ritual to determine that user "Skurn" would be an international shipment for TDM, involving absurd shipping prices and/or ninja book-smuggling action?

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, g33k said:

Huh.
I note you don't cite TDM's own website!

?:-/

Color me confused...  You guys have a direct-order webstore; do you prefer customers buy through a 3rd-party site?   (e.g. I know from private correspondence that one small publisher actually DID prefer to sell via resellers -- they ran their own warehouse/shipping ops, and had realized that they spent more on fulfilling individual orders than they made up by keeping the full retail vs. wholesale cost; and another retailer explicitly prefers (sees more profit from) direct-sales rather than 3rd-party retailers... so I figure I should be asking YOU guys what YOU prefer).

Or did you perform some arcane ritual to determine that user "Skurn" would be an international shipment for TDM, involving absurd shipping prices and/or ninja book-smuggling action?

It's because the sites quoted are where we have stock available. Not much point in me referring you to our web store if there is a stock level of zero. 

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png