Forum GUI improvement suggestion

Since the forums changed platform I find it a bit harder to follow active threads. With only new threads appearing in the right column, instead of all new posts as it was earlier, all those long-winded discussions tend to be a bit harder to keep track of. As it is now I have to go into each sub-forum to get a better idea of what's new. And yes, I know there is a page called View New Content, but I still think a chronological list of all posts on the main page would be a big improvement. As it is now, I get the (completely false) image that not much is happening on the forum - not exactly the impression newcomers should get.

Anyone else feels like this?

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

I think that the View New Content page is very functional and actually find this particular forum much more easy to follow than the old one or any other of the several forums that I frequent. By choosing View New Content I see all the forum threads that have new content and by clicking on the blue ball (or star if I've posted on the thread myself) I get the first post I haven't seen. No other forum that I use has utility and functionality anywhere near that of this forum. Compare for example with http://www.glorantha.com/bbpress/which is a usability nightmare.

The ability to filter content by type or time period can also come very handy. It is also the kind of functionality that is sorely lacking from any other forum software. So no, I don't share your grief and I certainly can't understand where you get the feeling that "not much is happening on the forum" since there's new content waiting almost every time I click the View New Content link.

I can see your point. Just to be clear: I know there is a lot of activity on the forum and I read much of it. For a newcomer though initial appearance is likely to be that a lot less is happening than what's actually the case. Showing all new content on the landing page is a way around that. And it is not instead of the View New Content page but an additional service.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

Maybe if the "View New Content" wasn't a choosable link but an active window replacing the Active Topics window?

It's the first thing I end up clicking every time I log on anyway, myself.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Maybe if the "View New Content" wasn't a choosable link but an active window replacing the Active Topics window?

It's the first thing I end up clicking every time I log on anyway, myself.

I couldn't have said it better : )

• Like 1

Wouldn't the "new content" window look rather messy if it's your first view of the forum? It would just show all post as all are unread. But I will see if there's any way we can better show the activity on the frontpage too.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Since the forums changed platform I find it a bit harder to follow active threads. With only new threads appearing in the right column, instead of all new posts as it was earlier, all those long-winded discussions tend to be a bit harder to keep track of. As it is now I have to go into each sub-forum to get a better idea of what's new. And yes, I know there is a page called View New Content, but I still think a chronological list of all posts on the main page would be a big improvement. As it is now, I get the (completely false) image that not much is happening on the forum - not exactly the impression newcomers should get.

Anyone else feels like this?

I just use the New Content page as my shortcut, then press the First Unread Post link (The dot or star to the left of the entry) to go to the first unread post. It works for me.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here