Just a quick note for all you awesome guys...

BMonroe

Hey guys,

So, I know you've all heard the news about Greg & Sandy are back at Chaosium, which is just so frikkin' exciting I can't expletive enough.

What's not been made much of is that I've been asked to come back on board full time and help get things back on track.

As you'll see below, my official title is "Chief Operations Officer, Magic World/BRP Line Editor, and Earth Ro-Man". Which basically means I'm doing all the 'boots on the ground' stuff, as well as taking on the task of making sure AWESOME THINGS HAPPEN WITH BRP!

Everything is up in the air right now: we're evaluating -everything- from the last few years, and trying to figure out how to make it awesomer in the future.

But, I am -committed- to pushing Magic World along as best I can. Nick is still on board, and he and I will now be in the office together Getting Shit Done . I can't promise things like the Chronicler's Companion will be out by GenCon at this point, but man I'm more excited about the future of MW than I've been in month.

More to come, but I wanted to touch base with all you guys on this forum, because you're all awesome, and I've come to really appreciate your enthusiasm over the last few years.

I'd like to also give you all the first look at our new Chaosium slogan: "Making Awesome Games for Awesome People."

Guys... this is really frikkin' happening.

• Like 8

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I just stumbled onto MW (and BRP in general) about a year ago. God I love the game so much. I wish there was more I could do to pimp it to people beyond my small cadre of gaming friends. Anyway, best of luck with the reorganization.

Figured I might as well stop lurking and take the time to say so.

Cheers

• Like 3

In my time with the BRP family of games, a reunion of this magnitude was essentially a "What If..." sort of Marvel story to be bandied about as we sipped of the fermented grape juice. This is wonderful news for the future of Chaosium and the future of gaming in general.  A toast to the "Old Guard".

• Like 1

If it takes more than 5 minutes to understand, it's not basic.

Strange and wonderful things are afoot in California!

I noticed the email contacts at Chaosium have a bunch of "Ben" listed. :)

Hope this doesn't mean you forget us little people. Your advice on these boards has been greatly appreciated.

Let me know when you need an ambassador in the mid-west! I'm a flaming soul for Magic World.

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I hope there will be more RQ Dragon Pass/Prax scenarios. I miss the dedicated scenarios there... well, actually Doraster too. The RQ3 DP/Prax/Doraster stuff from Avalon Hill and RQA were my last fix and i would really love (and pay) to see more.

Congratulations Ben!

Well I definitely know we'll be seeing more MagicWorld resources now, which is great news

Exciting times ahead!

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

It's like everything that everyone has been saying for years should happen.... is happening. 

I hope that MW can become Chaosium's iPod. (+1 for those of you that get the reference.)

• Like 2

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Congrats, Ben.

And thanks to you and the old/new crew for taking on this heavy and awesome responsibility. You are all foremost in our thoughts. I too am seriously pumped beyond words--Frakin'-A!--and very happy that it sounds like MW/BRP will remain part of Chaosium's new future. I'm sure that future, however, can only be wrought though long hard labor. Don't hesitate to let us know how we can support that work. All the best and whatever we can do to help...

Cheers, mate!

• Like 4

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Man, it's been a crazy day today. Nick's going to be back in the office tomorrow, and in-between moving stuff around, trying to sort out all the Kickstarter craziness, and lots of other "gotta get done" stuff, I'm going to talk to him about he and I finishing up the errata to the PDF of MW. The list is there, and ready for us to do. He just kept getting pulled off to other projects over the last few weeks. Now that those distractions are gone, we're gonna make this thing happen.

• Like 1

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Ben,

Magic World is my preferred fantasy incarnation of d100, at least among those in-print. I really hope it will have the support it deserves.

I wish the new Chaosium a great success with this great line, but also with CoC7 - which is essential for supporting the company.

You deserve to succeed in this noble mission!

Best,

Smiorgan

PS: MW PDF errata are a very important move. A signal that you care about the line and its customers. Kudos for pushing that. There is however a problem related to that: my older orders - including the Magic World PDF are gone from my order history on the Chaosium website. So, I wouldn't be able to re-download the corrected PDF. I think this is a general problem for all Chaosium customers (I've seen it mentioned on the net by others). 

Ben,

Magic World is my preferred fantasy incarnation of d100, at least among those in-print. I really hope it will have the support it deserves.

I wish the new Chaosium a great success with this great line, but also with CoC7 - which is essential for supporting the company.

You deserve to succeed in this noble mission!

Best,

Smiorgan

PS: MW PDF errata are a very important move. A signal that you care about the line and its customers. Kudos for pushing that. There is however a problem related to that: my older orders - including the Magic World PDF are gone from my order history on the Chaosium website. So, I wouldn't be able to re-download the corrected PDF. I think this is a general problem for all Chaosium customers (I've seen it mentioned on the net by others). 

Same problem here. Also to note, until the 4 download limit is removed, I'll probably buy pdf's at other sites. =\

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Congratulations to Ben, and the folks that recognize his good work by giving him more.

For me, Magic World has been the brightest light shining out of Chaosium of late... and now I feel a bit of hope for it and BRP to carry on with great things.

Congratulations, Ben.

I'm a Frenchman living in Germany, and it seems to me (but I may be wrong) that the BRP-based games don't have the success they deserve in these two countries. I think one of the main hurdle is the language, especially in France where there is quite a number of RPGs in French language. CoC is an exception, but there are French and German versions. Is there any plan to make versions in another language than English (like RQ6)?

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

Congrats Ben!   i"m happy for you and a little jealous.  I'm English Lit major working essentially as a data-guy for an old, large insurance company who makes a few bucks once in a while with artwork, but it would be awesome to make a living at my hobby!  That's great!  Please just don't forget the monographs - do whatever you can do from your position to help those along.  This comes not from just a personal preference standpoint, but as practical advice; It was Classic Fantasy that allowed me to move my DnD group to the D100 system.

Anyway, I wish you well, and good luck in your endeavors! 

• Like 1

If everybody in the world thought and acted like i do, then who would be the players in my Basic Role Playing game?

Apart from the Chronicler's Companion, I'd like to see a relatively high-level and high-magic mini-campaign set in the Southern Reaches. Something like 'War of the Fey'.

Heroes passing into the Fey Lands where the wall between the worlds is weak to save the Southern Lands from the encroaching chaos. Something like Lord Dunsany writes about Corum teaming up with Slaine in the Feywild of D&D 4e (which strange as it may seem is a great setting). Weird islands with beaches full of bleached bones. Strange Driad groves where tree branches bleed. Standing stones. Misshapen Fomorians and talking ravens. Mad bards and singing harps that kill the loved ones of heroes. Ah, and cauldrons that regurgitate undead warriors.

• Like 2

Apart from the Chronicler's Companion, I'd like to see a relatively high-level and high-magic mini-campaign set in the Southern Reaches. Something like 'War of the Fey'.

Heroes passing into the Fey Lands where the wall between the worlds is weak to save the Southern Lands from the encroaching chaos. Something like Lord Dunsany writes about Corum teaming up with Slaine in the Feywild of D&D 4e (which strange as it may seem is a great setting). Weird islands with beaches full of bleached bones. Strange Driad groves where tree branches bleed. Standing stones. Misshapen Fomorians and talking ravens. Mad bards and singing harps that kill the loved ones of heroes. Ah, and cauldrons that regurgitate undead warriors.

At the risk of derailing the thread, let me chime in with a resounding "Yes, please."

Awesome people like Magic World.

I love this so much, I want to go out and punch a hippy. Seriously, this is -exactly- the type of thing I imagined when envisioning the Southern Reaches. I pitched it to David Ackerman (the author of the chapter) as:

"Make me a fantasy setting along the lines of what would happen if Ray Harryhausen made a movie based on celtic/saxon myth, from a screenplay by Michael Moorcock, with art direction by Rodney Matthews."

• Like 2