BRP sci-fi at RPG.net - help needed

clarence

I started a new thread at RPG.net to collect all sci-fi resources for BRP in a list, with a short description for each book. I will need some help though to make it complete.

The thread is located here:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?759095-BRP-sci-fi-books

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

As a rule I stay away from RPG.net... too many bad experiences with the folks there... but the list looks to cover most of the stuff I know of.

Does 'Worlds Beyond' qualify as BRP?

'Fractured Hopes' is a space fantasy monograph... what about 'Swords of Cydoria' and 'Chronicles of Future Earth'?

'Rubble & Ruin'?

Edit: I'm also tempted to say that, based on its core assumptions, Call of Cthulhu is also scifi. It's about fighting off the threats of ancient aliens and extra-dimensional beings... sometimes using advanced alien science/technology that is 'sufficiently advanced' to where it seems like magic.

• Like 1

As a rule I stay away from RPG.net...

I can understand that. It's not my favorite place either, but I think BRP should have at least some presence there from time to time.

Thanks. I will add those to the list.

And I agree, CoC does in some ways qualify as sci-fi. Though I guess most players won't notice much of the sci-fi backstory, depending on the GM of course. But I find it quite rewarding to cross-read Lovecraft, Jules Verne and Arthur Conan Doyle. They have that dry empirical world view in common, each of them adding something fantastic to the recipe.

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

Yeah, I was trying to think of published scenarios set in the modern or classic eras that pushed the scifi angle. Pretty much anything involving Herbert West's experiments, Yithians, the Elder Things or Mi-go would seem to me along that line... and lessen the presence of tomes of 'magic spells' and rituals.

Great list, but I notice that most of it is monograph or fan-made material.  Other than BRP Mecha and River of Heaven, "official" BRP sci-fi sources are few.  Ringworld is out of print; Futureworld can be found lurking on the web.  If Chaosium really does ditch the monographs, we'll have a much shorter list.

I've never really cared whether something is official or unofficial, to be honest.

Chaosium have produced some good BRP material, but so have Alephtar Games. Would Alephtar's material be official? Maybe, as they are licensed. What about material in fanzines? For RQ, Tales of the Reaching Moon was unofficial, but had a lot of very good material.

I can use unofficial material as easily as official material.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I restructured the list to reflect the uncertain status of the monographs. Makes quite a big difference. 

And even though I agree that unofficial material can be as good as official, the official material is important as a showcase, not the least if you are new to a system.