Vile

AEON:engine™: What's it all about?

33 posts in this topic

The AEON:engine™ trademark applies to a number of related D100 games. These grew out of the now obsolete AEONS™ and GLYPHMASTER™ projects.GLYPHMASTER™ will have lost its raison d'être once Chaosium re-issues RQ2 in all its glorious glory and is no longer an active project. AEONS™ has moved a long way away from its RQ2/BRP roots and is now being developed privately by myself and another writer as AEON:core™. This is clearly part of the D100 family, and some of you may note a certain similarity to a favourite boxed set of mine as well as the former AEONS™ D100 playtest rules.

The AEON:engine™ family is just my name for projects using the A:c rules. However, the idea is that AEON:engine™ books will be internally consistent right throughout the family, so bits can be used across genres without any modification at all. 

I should also point out that AEON:core™ has been de-linked from the OGL entirely, and is not in any way based on the text from the MRQ1 SRD or my D100II SRD. However, there will be a simple (and free) licence.

• AEON:core™ is a basic, stripped-down quickstart role-playing system for gaming in any period (no science fiction or fantasy).

• AEON:engine™ is the collective name for stand-alone games using AEON:core™.

• AEON:mageworld™ applies the rules of AEON:core™ to a Germano-Celtic fantasy setting, the Western Isles.

• AEON:gateworld™ uses the rules of AEON:core™ to model a science fiction setting.
Edited by Vile
3 people like this

• QUEST:core™ is the most basic, stripped down roleplaying system you can imagine, for historical or modern games.

Vile,

You say QUESTS is stripped down... Does that mean it's more like magic world or rather like RQ6-lite?

Sounds interesting!

Edited by Vile

It's nothing like an RQ6-lite because there is a perfectly good RQ6 Essentials:P

If by Magic World you mean the current edition published by Chaosium, it's not like that either. AEON:engine™ is in some ways inspired by the old Worlds of Wonder boxed set, but aims to be a more complete set of rules. It's recognisably a D100 system but not exactly like any of the former Chaosium publications, nor is it based on the MRQ1 SRD or any of its derivatives. If you saw any of the old AEON™ playtest files, well A:e is a direct development of that.

AEON:core™ is more like a mix of the original 16-page BRP and RQ2, but with no sci-fi or fantasy elements - that's why it says historical or modern. That, when it's done, will be a free PDF and probably an at-cost PoD.

AEON:engine™ adds fantasy and sci-fi rules as well as expanding A:c quite a bit. And that won't be free. ;)

Edited by Vile

This year! :P

3 people like this

I'm interested in seeing how this pans out, it sounds interesting Vile

1 person likes this

This sounds interesting. I would like to check this out as well. I have some other ideas beyond Classic Fantasy that could work with your format (if I ever find the time).

Rod

Second, 3 points after Czege and with the same points as McDaldno in an indie-rpg contest? Hey, that's an achievement, man!

2 people like this

Thanks, gents - dammit, looks like I'm dragging my own thread off topic now. :P

1 person likes this

Even more interestingly we are now so taken with the way QUEST:n™ is shaping up that we've decided to take the AEON:engine™ back to D100.

Erm, sorry, Trifletraxor ... I think I may ask for a forum name change again ... :(

If you have any QUESTAEONS™ just ask away! :D

Basically we are so impressed with the D100 rules we've been bashing out that we've decided to pull back and consolidate - so now AEON:engine™ is D100 again. I't like coming home to a nice cozy fire, your comfortable old slippers, and the prospect of some cutting-edge kick-ass percentage rolling. :D

1 person likes this

Okay a few changes as you are all no doubt aware. Some much-needed consolidation and the acquisition of a writing partner has led to the following:

The AEON:engine™ trademark applies to a number of related D100 games. These grew out of the now obsolete AEONS™ and GLYPHMASTER™ projects. AEONS™ has moved a long way away from its RQ2/BRP roots and is now being developed privately by myself and another writer as the AEON:engine™. GLYPHMASTER™ will have lost its raison d'être once Chaosium re-issues RQ2 in all its glorious glory and is no longer an active project.

The AEON:engine™ family is clearly part of the D100 family, and some of you may note a certain similarity to a favourite boxed set of mine as well as the former AEONS™ D100 playtest rules. However, the idea is that AEON:engine™ books will be internally consistent right throughout the family, so bits can be used across genres without any modification at all. 

I should also point out that AEON:engine™ has been de-linked from the OGL entirely, and is not in any way based on the text from the MRQ1 SRD or my D100II SRD.

The following are the two main versions of the rules that are planned. The idea is to stick with 9" x 6" saddle-stitched (i.e.stapled) booklets:

• AEON:core™ basic role-playing system, ancient to modern era (free in PDF).
  • AEON:engine™ is a family of stand-alone games based on AEON:core™, suitable for gaming in any period or genre including fantasy or sci-fi.

Because of the booklet size, lots of sub-systems will be in separate booklets so you don't need to buy all if you don't want to, nor carry everything to the table if you don't need it for that game. Example might include:

• AEON:mechanised™ for vehicle, ship, spacecraft, etc. design and combat.
  • AEON:magic™ for fantasy magic systems.
  • AEON:bestiary™ for fantasy monsters.
  • AEON:universe™ for sci-fi world building.

And then, there may be setting books which pull together particular or special rules just for that game:

• AEON:mageworld™ fantasy setting.
  • AEON:gateworld™ science fiction setting.

Of course, the first order of business is AEON:core™. I'll let you know when that's done. ;)

On 9/17/2015 at 6:42 PM, Trifletraxor said:

Very nice! ETA?

Well, AEON:core™ shouldn't take too long ... :P

Edited by Vile
1 person likes this

I certainly do like the sound of this! Saddle-stitched keeps the rules at perfect size!

1 person likes this

That's the idea, and it's also much better at the table than perfect bound hard or soft covers which you can't really lay flat easily and expect to stay open (talking about print-on-demand here, not premium hard covers with stitched pages). The other point is that there is potentially a great deal of variability of approach to, for example, space travel, magic, fantasy creatures, and so forth. One thing I always disliked about GURPS (3rd edition) when I played it was that more than half the main rulebook was superseded as soon as you pulled out a supplement, e.g. Magic or Cyberpunk.

The idea behind the AEON:engine™ is that there is no duplication - you always have the main rulebook, and add only the supplements you need for your setting of the moment. Of course this is all still open to tweaks, but other than the rules themselves the contents of A:e are likely to be: professions (previous experience), skills, personal equipment, and normal animal statistics.

1 person likes this

Well, you already have a first scenario to present to your prospective players.  Just add maps and stat blocks.  ;)

I'll get a round tuit!

roundtuitback.jpg

Edited by Vile
1 person likes this

I'll get a round tuit!

Damn you Vile. I thought this was funny so I showed my wife...

now I'm mowing the lawn!

2 people like this

I love the idea of a 'quick start' Core to your game.

Waiting expectantly for any more progress now......'Round Tuits' are great and all but not a substitute for rules man!! :)

1 person likes this