I'm with BRP any edition

smiorgan

So here's the deal for me...stiicking with the BGB as it lives on as PDF/POD will actually be pretty darn easy. But even though it won't be miserable and untenable, I'll always be a little sad that "my" BRP isn't the one that's getting the love. So don't expect me to be all sunshine and roses about everything that comes next. Just know that I won't feel compelled to rain on your parade. Deal?

Word! And dead-bang on target!

• Like 2

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Aw shucks, y'all! And here I was trying to be an aggressive jerk about the whole thing :)

But seriously, I'm glad I was able to express my feelings without stepping on anyone else's. As I believe Mr. Phipp's sig reads, "Many systems, One Family." So here's to excellent gaming for all of us d100 types!

• Like 2

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

No edition warring here for me, either. I like BRP BGB but at this point after reading about the financial troubles of Chaosium I'm just happy we still have a Chaosium to continue making cool games. And as for the D100 family....it's all good. I think the only "warring" I've really noticed tends to come from some of the D&D/OSR crowd that likes to slip in and imply there's some conflict going on, but not sure they should be taken all that seriously....

• Like 1

I'm not really that hung up about what rules the books are written for anymore. My group is using our own homebrew "d100rules" or drools for short and will probably continue with this. Any d100 system supplement is quite easy to use, just really the quality of the material that counts. But for the 32-page BRP Essentials I hope they go with simplicity as the main rule. It should be easy to understand and start gaming with, and still give the full gaming experience.

• Like 3

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Guest Vile Traveller

But for the 32-page BRP Essentials I hope they go with simplicity as the main rule. It should be easy to understand and start gaming with, and still give the full gaming experience.

I think this is where the original 16-page BRP failed. It was long on explanation about the theory of roleplaying, but the rules were just a bit too sparse to really let anyone go forth and play. It might have worked if there had been a bunch of 16-page adventures to follow up.

Now there's an idea.

I'm not really that hung up about what rules the books are written for anymore. My group is using our own homebrew "d100rules" or drools for short and will probably continue with this. Any d100 system supplement is quite easy to use, just really the quality of the material that counts. But for the 32-page BRP Essentials I hope they go with simplicity as the main rule. It should be easy to understand and start gaming with, and still give the full gaming experience.

I can agree with this. Ultimately, what I want most from this is something that people not playing BRP can download and get excited about. 

• Like 2

Here it is! The big BRP family tree 1976-2014

It's a first draft. I've tried to follow a few rough criteria:

1) stick to complete d100 rulesets, no supplements, no d20 using games.

2) Follow system similarity / borrowing rather than setting when they diverge.

3) Include also non English games when they are original/ modded games rather than mere translations

4) Can skip editions that did not change the rules, but I include them when they are sorta cool.

Enjoy! 

Diapositiva1.thumb.JPG.fdf9d99f2e52791ef

Edited by smiorgan
  • Like 10

Wow, you did well Smiorgan; however I would have liked to see the 2nd and 3rd editions of Call of Cthulhu in there, and the GW editions of RQ3, just for completeness (although I see you are trying to go with core mechanic alterations rather than editions)

This needs a permanent link - the fanboy in me totally digs this!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

This needs a permanent link - the fanboy in me totally digs this!

I could see this being particularly useful to people just discovering D100. 

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Andrea, you left out the ITALIAN version of BRP (Stratelibri, 1996) :angry:

Yes, I know. I wanted to put it in, since I love that little book. But isn't that more or less a translation of English BRP+Magic World? The supplements were original (West, Egypt, Dinosaurs, Alien), though. In contrast, French BASIC has significantly different rules.

But, may be I should appeal to the rule of cool and put it in, after all!

• Like 1

Yes, I know. I wanted to put it in, since I love that little book. But isn't that more or less a translation of English BRP+Magic World? The supplements were original (West, Egypt, Dinosaurs, Alien), though. In contrast, French BASIC has significantly different rules.

But, may be I should appeal to the rule of cool and put it in, after all!

what's this egypt supplement?  English version?

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Are you telling me that there actually is an italian version of BRP? heck, I've bought an english one just yesterday... :mellow:

In 1996 Stratelibri did an Italian translation of the original Chaosium BRP booklet of 1981, packed with the Magic World rules. It's called BASIC and it's a very nice little booklet and you can still find it on Ebay for reasonable prices. But if course it's not the Italian translation of the big BRP book of 2008.

I should really pick it up again and play it...

Whoa - the italian version sounded more cool than the english ones!

Ok, you convinced me to put it in the family tree...

Here is the BASIC rulebook...

basic-gioco-di-ruolo-universale.thumb.jp

The Ancient Egypt supplement...

basic_egitto.thumb.jpg.6f5a6b4052e483518

And the not-Jurassic-Park supplement:

dinosauri_west.thumb.jpg.6824a179789c3eb

They were quite well done and fun, but also very short and kind of minimalist booklets and so they left you wanting more...I think one of the authors posts on these forums from time to time.

• Like 2

I think there's a couple of issues here. Elfquest rpg actually predates RQ3. As Sandy Petersen explains: Steve Perrin used it as a testbed for developing the RQ3 rules. https://rpggeek.com/thread/687987/what-went-wrong-elfquest-one-authors-comments

Also I'm pretty sure Ringworld predates RQ3. Ringworld is a very different beast to RQ3 and is very much its own, unique deadend in the BRP world. The impulse system, tree and branch skills and so on never showed up anywhere else.

Other than that I think this is great. 

I think there's a couple of issues here. Elfquest rpg actually predates RQ3. As Sandy Petersen explains: Steve Perrin used it as a testbed for developing the RQ3 rules. https://rpggeek.com/thread/687987/what-went-wrong-elfquest-one-authors-comments

Also I'm pretty sure Ringworld predates RQ3. Ringworld is a very different beast to RQ3 and is very much its own, unique deadend in the BRP world. The impulse system, tree and branch skills and so on never showed up anywhere else.

Other than that I think this is great. 

Interesting!

The idea I tried to express by putting them side by side with RQ3, linked without an arrow, was that they are RQ3's "twins": they were developed in connection with the development of RQ3. For ElfQuest this is very clear, ElfQuest's combat and task resolution system is almost pure RQ3 and your quote of Sandy Petersen confirms that.

Ringworld perhaps is a different story and a "unique dead end" as you say. I have vague recollections of a RQ3 feeling, but I'm not a great Ringworld expert. I should look at it.

Your "family tree" picture finally solved all my doubts about the evolution of BRP-like games! Thanks a lot! :D

Now I'm gonna search for a copy of the italian Basic... meanwhile if you stumble in a vendor, send me a PM :P

Edited by Whisker89
forgot to write a line