Does anyone know which adventure has an inn owned by Maria Tres Pistolas?

nudnic

I seem to remember reading a scenerio, where the players come be owners of an inn. It later turns out that the inn is owned by Maria Tres Pistolas, of Rogue Misstress fame. I've been looking through all of my books and I can't seem to find this particalar scenerio. It's driving me nuts. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nudnic said:

I seem to remember reading a scenerio, where the players come be owners of an inn. It later turns out that the inn is owned by Maria Tres Pistolas, of Rogue Misstress fame. I've been looking through all of my books and I can't seem to find this particalar scenerio. It's driving me nuts. 

It's titled "The Strong Arms" and it is in the book "Sea Kings of the Purple Towns". We are not playing it RAW but the concept is awesome...

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Thanks! I had read this some years ago, and just thought of it again, and was looking through all of my books, and couldn't find it. It was driving me nuts! I remember the idea being kinda cool. I always wanted to run Rogue Mistress, and though this would be a cool way to start the campaign. 

I didn't run the adventure but I stole the concept. In my game the Strong Arms is built atop a sea wall and the party won it in high stakes poker.

My party loves it, right now they are trying to establish a beer supply route from Jharkor while at the same time building out the basement with more rooms for rent. Course I had to redesign the pub a bit :-)

I had the idea that I might include this in a game. I'm working on an underground drow city. It's on the edge of this huge underground lake. I thought it would be cool if a boat sailed up one day. Which works if the boat is the Rogue Mistress. 

I've had Rogue Mistress for years. I think I bought it in the late 80s early 90s. I've never run it. The ideas were so cool, I bought it just for inspiration. I feel like I could do something with it in any gaming system. 

I was a big fan of the Arduin Grimoire when first start playing D&D. You can't really use the stuff in the books directly. But the material is gonzo crazy it really inspires the kind of role playing I enjoy. Plus the books have some cool Erol Otus art from before he started working at TSR. 

I just love Maria Tres Pistolas! The Eternal Buxom Pirate Queen!

And I love the Rogue Mistress campaign!

I tried two times getting that campaign going but it did not go very far. First time I had created extensive prequels to replace the weak start, but once the players had played the prequels they were kind of tired ... second time I started straight but then real life hit hard!

Yea I am a long time D&D player but my group switched to magic world about 6 months ago. We are still getting used to it but so far so good. We play in the Stormbringer setting but with somewhat less use of demons. We also use free form magic which has been interesting...

• Like 2

I love the idea of Maria De Tres Pistolas. The art on the cover makes her look like Rick James crossed with Janet Jackson, and the frilly flamenco dress seems a little impractical. 

Spoiler alert....

I love the idea that her sister is involved with the campaign as one of the protagonists. The interplay between these two characters in the plot sounds really fun. 

• Like 1

I really like the idea idea of demon magic. Though I really haven't had the chance to play. I played a lot of D&D, and some RuneQuest, and other games. I think we played a session or two of the first edition Stormbringer way back when. I'd really like to do a Swords and Sorcery campaign without being married to the Elric setting. Just taking all of the things I like, like demon magic, and other dimensions, and just having fun with it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nudnic said:

SUPER DUPER SPOILER ALERT!

DON'T READ SPOILEROUS SPOILERS AHEAD....

I love the idea that her sister is involved with the campaign as one of the protagonists. The interplay between these two characters in the plot sounds really fun. 

AND HERE TOO I'M SPOLING THE SPOILS OF THE CAMPAIGN...

***SPOILER ****

Me too. The story of the two sisters and their father is great! And the Planar Knife is a very fitting demon object.

The first time I run it I was so enthusiastic that I added all sort of Maria-lore which had the reverse effect of turning the NPC in a terrible GM's Mary Sue.

Yeah I feel the same way. We are using the young kingdoms as a setting but the game has a renaissance flavor and the party is more involved with business and political conflicts in the purple towns rather than dungeon crawls. They also have a slight Dispute with the thieves guild...

• Like 1

I like me a good dungeon crawl. I like other stuff also. I've been trying to put together an underground drow city. It would be a city full of monsters, Drow, necromancers, Kua-Toa, Mindflayers, a sort of anything is possible zone. I see drow like Melnibonéans. Drugged up, powerful sorcerer fighters, making deals with demons. I had the idea that this place would be a nexus for other other planes. The drow would need a constant supply of slaves. Everyone else would have connection to other dimensions, and a place to exercise their dark rituals. This is all D&D centric, because this is what I'm playng at the moment. But, it all could fit Stormbringer nicely, if it doesn't get caught up in cannon. 

• Like 1

Sure I'll post something. Here are a few ideas I'm starting with. 

The city is divided in two sections, separated by a fortified wall. One section is the city proper. Behind the wall is the drow area. 

There are lots of slaves. Mostly gnomes, and dwarves. 

There are not many humans. Humans don't do well underground for long lengths of time. 

The main city would be mostly made of stone.

The law level is low. It's illegal to assault drow, but anything else is not a big deal. Drow mostly stay in their region, though they occasionally slum it in the city, or come down to buy more slaves. 

You might see mind flayers, githyanki, and undead wandering around. 

I had this idea that disputes were handled by a temple of justice. Essentially, any two parties with a dispute would enter a hall full of doors. A masked judge would listen to a statement from each side, then instruct them to enter one of the many doors. Where justice would be administered. Through a door anything could happen. They might find themselves outside, they might have to fight a beast, they might meet the opposing party in the dispute. The results would be totally random. 

I was thinking of a scenario involving a temple of the Void. This is a long narrow hall with large impossibly black circle on the far wall. They teach a nihilistic religion based on dark gods of chaos. Worshippers often cast things, sometimes themselves, into this black hole in the wall.   

The city is on the edge of a huge underground lake. There is an aboleth swimming in the lake, and a large underwater temple at the bottom. 

On one side of the lake are some huge caverns with a dense forest of mushrooms, and a wizards tower, the workshop of telescopes, perched on rock spire. On the other side of the lake is a Kua-Toa Temple. 

I'm trying to fit in as many obscure rock music references as a I can. Expect to meet the Harvester of Eyes, Children of the Grave, Flaming Telepaths, Fire of Unknown Origin...

• Like 2

On 30 November 2015 at 03:56:01, Hexelis said:

I highly recommend running The Rogue Mistress. Awesome game, very weird, easily one of the best campaigns I've ever run. 

I ran it many years ago.

Spoilers....

Some of the core concepts like the demon hearts are fantastic. My players were a bit freaked out when they got turned inside out at the end.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/