What would you like to see for OpenQuest in 2016?

Newt

What would you like to see for OpenQuest in 2016?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see for OpenQuest in 2016?

• A Cults book
    • The OpenQuest Book of Monster Mayhem
    • A Guide to the Empire of Gatan
    • More Setting/Adventure books
    • An OpenQuest Companion
    • Other (Explain in comments)

So over on the D101 G+ Group following on from a quick discussion that folk are happy with OQ2 and don't want an OQ3, yet don't want OQ2 to be unsupported in 2016, I asked them as a group what they want to see in 2016.

I'm duplicating the poll over here for folk who are not on G+.

I'm keeping the poll one choice, because otherwise you'd just vote for everything ;)

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I voted for 'setting/adventure books' because those can often have elements of all the others... some new monsters, maybe a new cult or two... setting information... and adventure ideas. If I can refine that vote I'd prefer somewhat open-ended adventures (like D&D's B2) that are a bit creepy/weird (less straight traditional quasi-historic Eurofantasy).
Even though I seldom run such things as-is I tend to collect them to mine for ideas and parts for later use... or customize to fit my own settings.

• Like 1

Especially since the Big Gold Book has been relegated to the digital archives, a Companion for multiple genres might take off.  (To the extent anything not D&D ever takes off.)  I'm even imagining optional rules for Sanity, Education, classic psychic abilities, mutations, cybernetics, vehicle combat/chases, and so forth ... if you've got them.

• Like 1

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

3 hours ago, fmitchell said:

Especially since the Big Gold Book has been relegated to the digital archives, a Companion for multiple genres might take off.  (To the extent anything not D&D ever takes off.)  I'm even imagining optional rules for Sanity, Education, classic psychic abilities, mutations, cybernetics, vehicle combat/chases, and so forth ... if you've got them.

I voted setting/adventures, but this would be cool too and definitely a purchase for me.

On 20/12/2015 at 11:00 PM, fmitchell said:

Just to be clear I'm not offering to do a Multi-Genre version of OpenQuest. OQ has a well defined core of rules which have been used to do standalone games, so far River of Heaven (Hardish Sci-Fi) and The Company (currently out of print but coming back soon).  This has always been the line I've taken with OQ and after eight years I'm sticking with it!

• Like 4

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

7 hours ago, jux said:

Companion. I want magic items, fumble tables of all sorts, magic backslashes, curses, fair/sanity rules, corruption, traps ...

As a fan of Dungeon Crawl Classics I'd certainly jump at some tables for various fumbles and magical disasters.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jux said:

Yes, I really like DCC adventures, but I prefer OQ system. It would be awesome to have some optional bits inspired by DCC.

One of the aspects of 'OSR' games that I enjoy and often find missing in the various D100 games is the wild and crazy attitude some OSR stuff has.

DCC is a good example of that, as is Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Their adventures are kitchen sinks of strange monsters, weird magic and bizarre situations.

It's not like the potential isn't there with D100 games... with Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu, RQ6's Monster Island... but for whatever reason all of those somehow still feel 'straight' and self-serious compared to the average DCC or LotFP offering.

Maybe it all comes down to the presentation... what would my impression be of RQ6 if it was full of Erol Otus artwork instead.

Not that I don't enjoy historical games and plausible settings... but sometimes I want something a bit more 'gonzo' and when I look at various BRP games on my shelf I'm not seeing it. I've been pushing my Magic World game in that direction but mostly by borrowing from adventures for various OSR systems and stuff I've found on OSR blogs like Goblin Punch and Last Gasp.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Simlasa said:

One of the aspects of 'OSR' games that I enjoy and often find missing in the various D100 games is the wild and crazy attitude some OSR stuff has.

DCC is a good example of that, as is Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Their adventures are kitchen sinks of strange monsters, weird magic and bizarre situations.

It's not like the potential isn't there with D100 games... with Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu, RQ6's Monster Island... but for whatever reason all of those somehow still feel 'straight' and self-serious compared to the average DCC or LotFP offering.

Maybe it all comes down to the presentation... what would my impression be of RQ6 if it was full of Erol Otus artwork instead.

Not that I don't enjoy historical games and plausible settings... but sometimes I want something a bit more 'gonzo' and when I look at various BRP games on my shelf I'm not seeing it. I've been pushing my Magic World game in that direction but mostly by borrowing from adventures for various OSR systems and stuff I've found on OSR blogs like Goblin Punch and Last Gasp.

You make a great point. I know as I am designing my own things, it is all very heavy and serious. I guess you get so tangled up in the ancestors way of doing things you sometimes forget it can be different and fun and people will still play your game.  Although one thing I have enjoyed about OQ is that it seems a lot less heavy and serious than some of the games and that is a good thing.  I dunno, like a lot of things in life we tend to go to one thing or another to feel a certain way and it can be hard to change. Still, its food for thought.     

• Like 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

48 minutes ago, ReignDragonSMH said:

I know as I am designing my own things, it is all very heavy and serious. I guess you get so tangled up in the ancestors way of doing things you sometimes forget it can be different and fun and people will still play your game.

I often find myself doing the same. When I stop to think about it, my long-standing fantasy homebrew setting is really freaking uptight... happily it doesn't really play that way, but I'm still a bit embarrassed by how seriously I've taken it at times when writing stuff up.

I've been trying to break out of that mold with more recent stuff... going for a zanier Warhammer feel while trying to worry a bit less about the details and absolute plausibility of the setting. Looser rules like Openquest and Magic World help with that, I think. Maybe I should read more Discworld books...

• Like 3

I have voted more adventures and settings.

What I'd love to see for Open Quest in 2016 is basically 

Crypts & Things d100

with sword and sorcery rules variants

setting

converted scenarios frm Crypts & Things

Second best, almost ex aequo, a post-apocalyptic setting with adventures.

Third best, well anything else really. I'm sure it will be good.

Edited by smiorgan
  • Like 1

Just to comment about settings and adventures, I'd like to point out one thing that while in BRP there are many great historic settings, they are very "wordy". They are not so much a gaming material, but more like work for a GM.

With settings and adventures I'd like to emphasize this - as much gaming content with least amount of words. Unfortunately gaming time / preparation time ratio for BRP is very "expensive" on the contrary to "bang for the buck". That is why I will never get into Glorantha :(

• Like 1

On 27-12-2015 at 2:04 PM, smiorgan said:

I have voted more adventures and settings.

What I'd love to see for Open Quest in 2016 is basically 

Crypts & Things d100

with sword and sorcery rules variants

setting

converted scenarios frm Crypts & Things

Second best, almost ex aequo, a post-apocalyptic setting with adventures.

Ooh, I'll second these! And have my suggested Arabian Nights setting optionally tie in with Crypts & Things d100.

Or how's about The Witcher with the serial numbers filed off?

Edited by Vorax Transtellaris
RPGbericht (Dutch)

• Newt locked this topic