CHAPTER 5: Equipment

Zit

OK, I start this one. I haven't read everything, but a few  points are unclear to me:

- I haven't found any shield stats, except in the Design section. Did I miss something?

- Weapon Tables, 2H weapons: do the Mights bonus in the Notes column include the 2H +1 bonus?

- same question for bows in the Might column

- The range for the longbow seems overrated to me (300m vs. 150m for a composite bow, while AFAIK, they have comparable performances).

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

1 hour ago, Zit said:

OK, I start this one. I haven't read everything, but a few  points are unclear to me:

- I haven't found any shield stats, except in the Design section. Did I miss something?

- Weapon Tables, 2H weapons: do the Mights bonus in the Notes column include the 2H +1 bonus?

No. It was my fumble, not yours :) They will be present in v0.4.

- same question for bows in the Might column

No.

- The range for the longbow seems overrated to me (300m vs. 150m for a composite bow, while AFAIK, they have comparable performances).

You are the expert in this field, so we will increase the range for the comp. Does firing from horseback decrease range significantly?

The Equipment chapter is the one I am focusing at the moment, so please add your feedback to Olivier's if you have ideas or doubts. Any comment is useful.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I am not an expert, I only had to do some research about that. My modest suggestion:

It is not such an easy question: bows of the same design do not have all the same strength, there are several types of arrows for different purposes and sources differ. Moreover, building a bow and arrows to beat records is not the same as building an efficient weapon. Making fixed stats for bows is actually a simplification.

It is however commonly agreed on, that other things being equal, composite bows are more efficient than long bows: while the maximum recorded range for long bow is 328m (some suggest 370m), composite are said to have made it up to 500m, and even beyond. But all this with very strong bows and arrows made for distance shooting, both of which not being optimal for warfare.

Long bows were normaly built for foot archery with a higher draw weight than composite bows used for horse archery (in average 110-120 lbs. vs. 80 lbs.): I think the reason for this was more practical than technical. Things compensate each other, so the simplest is to give the same maximum range of 250m for both with a standard war arrow.

As for arrows, allow +50m but 1d4 for long range light arrows and -50m (and other or extra effects, like slash) for short range heavy arrows –this is more or less what you did.

• Like 1

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 5:45 PM, RosenMcStern said:

Does firing from horseback decrease range significantly?

it does only because you can use a stronger bow. So you'd need rules for bow design, like in wots. Or you could simply propose a foot composite bow by increasing the range for nomad bows with the same min str than for long bows. Core rules may not be the right place for more detailed rule.

• 1 month later...

Effective ranges. The exact definition is "the range within which an Aim action offsets all penalties due to distance, allowing you to fire at full chance", which is the game equivalent of the definition of effective range - the range at which a good shooter can consisently hit a human sized target.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM