7e Achtung! Cthulhu?

AJ The Ronin

Has anyone converted A!C to 7e?

I realize that basic stats and stuff like skills difficulties are easy to do. 

Push rolls will rock in A!C and I would make using Luck default.

But what about the different skill packages in the IG and Front books? 

I feel they would work great as-is but I'm no expert.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to go off on a little bit of a tangent here.

Haven't got around to running A!C yet (still on the Orient Express, and after that I want to run some other game a bit to clear my palate), but when I do I will certainly convert it to 7e.

And just reading the A!C books I realize the first thing I have to do is prune down the skill list. There are sooo many over-specialized skills in there that will seldom or ever come up in actual play.

You might wish to consider the Cubicle 7 books covering the Mythos during WW2. The Darkest Hour covers SOE agents in occupied Europe and the recently in pre-order WWC London covers the Myths in London during the war. Both provide a much more competent investigator compared to the normal 1920's version.

Nigel

• Like 2

Nigel

5 hours ago, Jonas said:

I'm going to go off on a little bit of a tangent here.

Haven't got around to running A!C yet (still on the Orient Express, and after that I want to run some other game a bit to clear my palate), but when I do I will certainly convert it to 7e.

And just reading the A!C books I realize the first thing I have to do is prune down the skill list. There are sooo many over-specialized skills in there that will seldom or ever come up in actual play.

The skill bloat is worrisome, yes. 

My biggest mental hurdle is the rules to create military characters. I'm not sure if I should use then in 7e as is, or just handwave the military ranks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike M said:

Pulp Cthulhu, when it appears, might be a good choice for the A!C books.

When I first started to read through A!C I was thrilled, but worried about how CoC would handle, so thought I'd go Savage Worlds (it's dual Stat'ed). Then heard so many great things about the "coming soon" Pulp Cthulhu, especially from "The Good Friends" Triad, I realized that it would be best to wait for the release. A!C is very pulpy, over the top and you'll want the rules to handle that aspect.

That said, I love World War Cthulhu and I'm just wrapping an 18 month weekly game based around the product which works great with both 6th & 7th Ed. It really delivers on the dark, grim reality of war while adding the layer of cosmic madness that truly makes it desperate for the players. 

--michael

• 4 weeks later...

I've run Achtung with Savage Worlds, as the setting seems to fit a little better with SW, given its military focus.  I had initially planned to use 7th, but the lengthy delay forced our hand and I didn't own 6th Edition CoC.  Honestly, having played both systems, I would probably continue to use SW for Achtung, but that opinion may change if the Pulp rules (when they appear) look like they can handle the increased military/combat focus.

Having read the A!C pdf, I think it would easily port to CoC 7E, and if you want an even more pulpy flavour consistent with Savage Worlds then give the characters some Trademark Abilities which replace SW Edges, and just make it cheaper to use Luck Pts for these situations (perhaps 1 Luck Point grants 3% or 5%). It should run pretty good!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 9 months later...

I have looked at this very question.  A!C benefits immensely from the CoC 7ed pursuit rules, as these can be easily house rule retrofitted into an abstract but exciting range system.  I think this style of game mechanic could be of value across all d100 BRP products, and could even be adapted to HQ, which needs a missile combat system that doesn't simulate fellatio better than combat.